Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2013 Tundra Crewmax in December. I can't stand my stock rims but can't afford new ones. Anyone tried the Plasti Dip? How does it hold up? New to the site so if already a thread I apologized.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are going for wild colors like I did... a coat of white underneath will make them pop better. As you can see dark on dark does not come out... (the purple). I'm sure you are not insane like me and are doing black or something :) the flat black looks great. I did about 1 can of color for each wheel. On my other set of red, I did half a can per wheel of plasti clear coat to make the colors not flat

And just used some paper and tape to tape away the tires. It's best to do this, as even tho plasti comes off, it's a pain if it's not a thick coat

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
i just did the wheels on my vette... each wheel is a different color! people think i'm crazy

Wow! That's one of a kind, for sure. Any reason why you did this? Any reason why you picked these specific colors or was it a random process?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nope, no real reason why I did the wheels like that. Other than, why not? I have two sets of wheels and it's plasti dip so I'm just having fun with it. And also bucking the trend... not ever Z06 has to be too cool for school. The corvette forum guys were literally throwing up when I posted these pics. I just think it's funny to kill other vettes with their fancy 20" wheels... doing heads, cam, headers, ported TB/Intake, poly engine engine and tranny mounts right now. I just tried to pick the most outrageous contrasting colors possible is how i came up with the colors

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
You never know what the future holds. Who would have thought black rims would catch on as they have now. Maybe in a few years the brother's multicolor rims come from the factory. :dunno:

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
What's the diff between plasti-dip and powdercoating?

I had the TRD 18's powdercoated on my tundra and they came out awesome and have held up really well.

This PD thing seems like a cheap DIY alternative..? Does it last?

My wheels are below
You should do the Toyota emblems on the center caps in black. I did mine in gloss black a while back on my Limited 20's and they look very good.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What's the diff between plasti-dip and powdercoating?

I had the TRD 18's powdercoated on my tundra and they came out awesome and have held up really well.

This PD thing seems like a cheap DIY alternative..? Does it last?

My wheels are below
the different in powdercoating and PD. is that plasti-dip you can remover very easy if you want a different color or you deside to go back to the normal look.Were Powdercoat you are stuck with that color and that it. and it cost a ton more then PD. Also like others have said pre work is so much easyer then have them sand blasted then powdercoated.. just clean and spray...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts