Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first start by saying that I do not have $700 to spend on new rims for my truck. While I would love to buy some, that's just not an option right now. Currently I've got an 08, desert sand tundra with the steelies, and I've been trying to decide what to do. I've searched some threads trying to find different wheels people have plasti-dipped to see if that's what I want. My question, has anyone plasti-dipped or painted parts of the steel wheels without doing the entire thing? The only pictures I could find had the entire wheel done. Below is what I'm talking about, but these are the TRD wheels. I'm trying to decide if I just want to color the spokes black, like in the picture, or if I want to do it reverse and do the centers (where he has silver) and leave the spokes silver. Attached are some pictures that I've played with in paint. I know it is a VERY rough sketch and not the best by any means, but what are your thoughts as far as how they might look or turn out? I will say, I think I do at leat want the center caps done like the picture shown.

Attachments

Reactions: TroyHaas

·
Registered
408 Posts
do it, cant hurt!

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts
Great idea. I like more black... Peel it off if you don't like it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very cool idea. I like #2 the best.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
OK, here is a stupid questions, can you do this your self or do you take it to a auto paint shop. If so were do you get the plastic paint. I like all black of the second picture

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
OK, here is a stupid questions, can you do this your self or do you take it to a auto paint shop. If so were do you get the plastic paint. I like all black of the second picture
Not a stupid question, you can and should do this yourself!
Home depot/lowes(I think) sells the plasti dip I think you can also order from there site and even get different colors. 6 to 7 dollars is what I saw at home depot, you will just need to super clean the areas you will paint, and be able to tape off the areas..and like everyone says is "you can always peel it off"
good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good questions. I'm going to be plasti dipping my steelies in the very near future. Going all black minus the Toyota symbol on the center caps. Those Trd rims look very cool, but I'm not sure the steelies would turn out as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
DAMN!!!! I gotta get this done now.....not too sure how it will look on my Pyrite Mica CM LTD with the chrome mirrors/handles/bumper but I want to try something! I have the TRD wheels and I really like the look of the first pic....thoughts as to the color combo?

·
Registered
262 Posts
IMHO, I would try to find some of the standard steelies (the ones with the holes) and do them black--I think that they have that old-school/third-world utilitarian vibe that would look killer on a Desert Sand Tundra.

I would think they would be really cheap if you can find a set (I have a set sitting in my shed that I took off shortly after I bought my Tundra new). I have considered having them powdercoated white since my Tundra is Blue Streak Metallic.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually played around the other day with some electrical tape...just to have something black on the actual wheel that wouldn't leave a residue so i could get an idea. Here are some attached pictures that I was able to do. I was only able to do one wheel at a time because of rain moving in, so I still haven't been able to do both wheels on the same side and get an idea...but here's a rough sketch. I still plan to tape up a few other ideas just to see what I want before i start with the plasti-dip.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
If you don't like it, you could simply peel it off. The price ain't bad either.

Reactions: NJMonster

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love the first picture, funny that i found this thread because its the exact thing I was going to do to my wheels.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Guy at the tire store said don't do it they look like crap, He didn't have a better suggestion though. Guess I will try it this weekend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think this was a cool idea...did it ever go anywhere. I realize thread is kinda old.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I haven't tried it with the plasti-dip. I was very indecisive as to whether I wanted to save up for new wheels along with tires, or keep the steelies. I've pretty much determined I will be keeping these wheels because I'm not going to be able and drop around $2k on both.

I've also thrown around whether or not I want to keep them as they are, or do this, or do them all black. If I start on them, I'm going to be doing the step bars probably as well...I just haven't had the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts