Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pd my engine cover white. I don't want to paint it because I would like to be able to just peel it off for whatever reason. I've searched high and low and couldn't find anything on pd'ing the engine cover. Has anyone tried and succeeded doing this? Any pics?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was planning on just painting it, but I might try the pd.

If I do I will post some pics.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
I was planning on it, but it's still too cold in Mi too..
[email protected] april winter here right now.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Great Idea, I'm going to plastic dip it this week!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I did mine last summer, not white though...just wanted to clean it up a bit...
Went from this..

To this...

·
Registered
165 Posts
That looks good, I also want an update on how its holding up to the heat?

·
"Off-Topic Discussion Troll"
1,289 Posts
Really nice job and I think the color scheme is great !!!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Thanks guys..

Its holding up great, looks the same as it did after it was finished, considering here on the Canadian East coast , we have the crappy winters and salty roads..

Ill take a few pics of it tomorrow..

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did mine last summer, not white though...just wanted to clean it up a bit...
Went from this..

To this...
Maybe it's a stupid question, but how did you get multiple colors without peeling up what you had already sprayed?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
you let it dry, then score the part you want to remove with an exacto knife or razor blade, then peel it up

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Yes plasti-dip holds up good in the engine bay. I used clear on mine to help protect it and it's makes it way easier to clean.

I will say the vinyl stickers did not hold up to the heat. They started shrinking after a couple days. had to remove them.
I also plasti-dipped the fuse box cover, air box cover and the little box behind the air box. I'll get a pic in a min.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Casper, I'm really interested in doing something like this to my truck. Did you use all Plasti Dip or is the gray and the red paint?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes plasti-dip holds up good in the engine bay. I used clear on mine to help protect it and it's makes it way easier to clean.

I will say the vinyl stickers did not hold up to the heat. They started shrinking after a couple days. had to remove them.
I also plasti-dipped the fuse box cover, air box cover and the little box behind the air box. I'll get a pic in a min.

Is that all PD? How did you manage the toyota logo? Did you just mask it?

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Is that all PD? How did you manage the toyota logo? Did you just mask it?
Yep, all PD. Started with the black engine cover and dip it all white. Then taped off the square part that is now PD black. Then just used a razor to cut the white off of the letters.

As for the logo. If you flip the cover over and remove the insulating foam from behind where the logo mounts. You'll see there a I think 3 prongs that look melted. I just use a drill bit to get the melted part off and the logo just popped out. After I was done dipping I just put it back with silicone around the prongs. Then clear coated the entire thing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts