Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, if I level it with these will it change the angle of my backup camera enough to make a difference?

Second, I have the adjustable headlights, will it affect the angle of those at all rendering that not practical?

Do you guys use the stock springs or go with OME springs?

Is the ride better than the TRD ride?

Thanks again guys and as I go further with this I will have many more questions!!

I'm going to have to put you guys on payroll for all the time you will spend haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Make sure you have bilstein install the shock because i ran into problem with the snap ring which cost me $7K to fix the damages and god know how much for the other vehicle and Bilstein decide to blame on installation and other BS. If money wasn't an issue, go with OME 612 and that is my opinion. I would go with the stock shock with spacer instead of bilstein 5100....

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Make sure you have bilstein install the shock because i ran into problem with the snap ring which cost me $7K to fix the damages and god know how much for the other vehicle and Bilstein decide to blame on installation and other BS. If money wasn't an issue, go with OME 612 and that is my opinion. I would go with the stock shock with spacer instead of bilstein 5100....
Ok this is where i need advice, i just bought a pair of 5100's (before i read what happened to u with them) i want to adjust the height. I cant send em back to bilstein cause they r on my truck already, but im taking em off tomorrow to try to adjust em. Since i already have em what do u think the best way to move the snap ring is? How did u do it (so i can do the total opposite,lol)? Any tools u recommend for moving the ring? Also give me a quote for being my Tundra consultant & supplier,lol!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Ok this is where i need advice, i just bought a pair of 5100's (before i read what happened to u with them) i want to adjust the height. I cant send em back to bilstein cause they r on my truck already, but im taking em off tomorrow to try to adjust em. Since i already have em what do u think the best way to move the snap ring is? How did u do it (so i can do the total opposite,lol)? Any tools u recommend for moving the ring? Also give me a quote for being my Tundra consultant & supplier,lol!

Don't ask me brother. Ask bilstein and if anything happened to your truck they will said that you didn't have it professionally done. I have 1 good bilstein sitting in my garage getting ready to be in the trash can soon. My question is, how can a flimsy looking ring can handle 6k lbs? I know there are more people having 5100 without issue but there is also a good amount of people having problem with it.

Reactions: kstateskier

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Funny....the bilstein bandwagon talked trash about my doublestacker :lol: Ain't nuthin broke yet :D
Who talking trash about your db stacker bro? There is a big different between thick aluminum spacer vs flimsy snap ring...

Lol haven't had any issues yet and I'm fixing to go higher
You have a long way to go buddy.... Keep on bringing it up and you will see :D

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
So SNGO, you stacked 2 4" spacers together for 8" of lift, what did you use on the rear a 6" block?
Do you have any binding issues with the front

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hadn't heard anything bad about the Billstein's until I joined here. I ran them on my previous Tacoma on the middle setting for almost 50,000mi with no issues. They were one of the first modifications to my new Tundra. I'm on the top setting on the Tundra and so far so good. At the end of the day, I don't think there's any product that's fail proof. Unfortunately, some folks get the bad apples. Many have great experiences. You just have to do your homework and decide for yourself what level of risk you're comfortable with.

To answer your specific questions:

On the top setting my back-up camera is fine. No change at all.

Regarding the headlights, I got yelled at and flashed a couple times after the lift because people thought my brights were on. They weren't, but I realized my extra height was putting them right in most people's faces. I'm not sure why you think the adjustable headlights would be affected. They actually solve the problem because that's what they were designed for in the first place - to lower the direction of the lights when the front is elevated (usually from towing). Drop the lights down a couple notches and you're back where you need to be to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
So SNGO, you stacked 2 4" spacers together for 8" of lift, what did you use on the rear a 6" block?
Do you have any binding issues with the front
No buddy, it was a joke :D. I have OME 613 with spindles and no heavy bumper. No issue at all.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
He makie fun of me :D

Its a 3" spacer, a 1.5" spacer, and cst spindles, by the way :D. Out back is the ome leafs, coaches +3's, and air bags.

I am running OME and +4" shackles soon :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mainly I was worried about the lights because I will be towing and wasn't sure if I would "max them out" if I leveled then true to aim them down. I want to end up with 5-6" of lift total, my plan was bilstien's in the front with the maxtrax spindles and in the rear I was going to go with the shackles that a member on here make with an add a leaf. Is there a better way to do this?

On my previous truck everyone raved about the bilstien's so that's why I was looking at them, I'm not partial and I do 0 offroading. I do tow my boat so keep that in mind with your suggestions. Pretend I know nothing about the truck I suspension ( because I don't) haha

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh also I have a 2010 crewmax TRD 5.7, two wheel drive. If that matters for the setup......

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
He makie fun of me :D

Its a 3" spacer, a 1.5" spacer, and cst spindles, by the way :D. Out back is the ome leafs, coaches +3's, and air bags.

Future plans are to replace my gagglef*ck of spacers with OME 612's and a 1/2" spacer sitting on top of 'em. Should keep me around 7.5" total lift, just a little more legit.
I thought u were joking about the double stack,lol. U r a crazy mofo!!! U should put patent on it n sell it as the bdt lift!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I vote for full OME suspension with 612 or 614 coils.. You paid a bit more but worth every penny. I couldn't tell the ride quality between the 5100 and my OME 613.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Mainly I was worried about the lights because I will be towing and wasn't sure if I would "max them out" if I leveled then true to aim them down. I want to end up with 5-6" of lift total, my plan was bilstien's in the front with the maxtrax spindles and in the rear I was going to go with the shackles that a member on here make with an add a leaf. Is there a better way to do this?

On my previous truck everyone raved about the bilstien's so that's why I was looking at them, I'm not partial and I do 0 offroading. I do tow my boat so keep that in mind with your suggestions. Pretend I know nothing about the truck I suspension ( because I don't) haha

About your lights i wouldn't worry about it as i have 11" lift now with HID fog and low with zero issue... No one ever complain, if they do i will turn on my high... :lol5:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 47 Posts