Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some opinions from people who have the trd-pro, fox and king 2.5 coilovers. I have a 2017 platinum and will be using this setup 95% of the time as a daily but want to build a capable truck as well. I am not interesting in a big lift just want the performance and to level the truck out. Has anyone moved from a TRD Pro suspension onto a Fox or King that could comment?

Thoughts on the 3

Trd Pro: cost roughly the same or slightly more, non rebuildable, very nice on road manners with decent off road capability, possibly better resale with the TRD name

Fox: Robust coilover build, 700lb spring that may be a bit rough for a daily on road, rebuildable, more capable coilover than TRD

King: Same robust build but with a 650lb spring possibly a better ride for daily, rebuildable, more capable coilover than TRD

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
In running 600lb and LOVE both on and off-road capability!

Brett at Desert Rat can also get you hooked up, 4808387800

ADS valves fronts with a butterfly stack that helps remove a lot of road feedback but also absorb hard hits well. I opted for compression adjusters which give me 20 clicks of added compression adjustability.

I saw this purchase as; buy once cry once. Do it right the first time, suspensions not a purchase to jump into lightly. Do your research, get what you'll be happy with the 1st time! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the opinion, the 600lb spring does make them a viable option for me. I think anything with a 700 would be great if this truck was going to see off road more often but on-road is where I will be most of the time.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I appreciate the opinion, the 600lb spring does make them a viable option for me. I think anything with a 700 would be great if this truck was going to see off road more often but on-road is where I will be most of the time.
A coil rated too heavy could affect offroad performance as well.

@osidespunker

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Suspension is complicated! In other words, it isn't that simple.

The wimpy stock black struts have ~700lb springs, yet they ride smooth because they have very little compression damping. The better coilovers are tunable, but they all have higher compression damping stock. A 700lb spring with light damping will probably respond to typical road roughness better than an after market strut with 600lb springs and higher damping.

The way you acheive lift makes a big difference also. Decent systems will have a slightly longer strut (giving maybe 1" of lift), but the rest is achieved with spring preload. So you are going to need to crank up the preload on the springs; more preload with 600lb springs than 700lb to get the same lift.

I think for your use I'd stick to ~2" of lift with 600 or 650lb springs and tell the shop what sort of ride you are after. And look into getting a progressive spring pack for the rear as well. That might make the most difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the 700 pound springs in my ADS coilovers. I picked them as I have a bumper on order, a winch in the garage waiting to go in the bumper, and will be putting a Four Wheel Camper on the Tundra.
Without any of those on the truck yet, I did have to dial back the preload/ride height a bit, but the ride still feels great, and handles well.
I bought the Tundra to be a truck, so I have no issues with a firm ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.