Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Who's got the PIAA 85115 Superior Bass Horn? This seems to be a fairly popular replacement horn. Anyone know how I could keep my existing stock horns but also add these(effectively doubling my total sound output)?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
27 Posts
1- yes, you can wire them to the existing horn. With that being said it would be best for you to wire them up using a relay for the power from the battery as it will make them louder, and use the existing power to be the trigger for the "honk". This will trigger both sets to honk at the same time but also allow for your new horns to be hit with more power so they are louder.

2- to get them to fit you just have to get a tad creative. I personally used hella Supertones and all I had to do was unbolt the stock horns and flip them so the body sat behind the radiator support vs in front. I then install the Supertones in front of them. I will link a pic.

https://imgur.com/a/lMwyC

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1- yes, you can wire them to the existing horn. With that being said it would be best for you to wire them up using a relay for the power from the battery as it will make them louder, and use the existing power to be the trigger for the "honk". This will trigger both sets to honk at the same time but also allow for your new horns to be hit with more power so they are louder.

2- to get them to fit you just have to get a tad creative. I personally used hella Supertones and all I had to do was unbolt the stock horns and flip them so the body sat behind the radiator support vs in front. I then install the Supertones in front of them. I will link a pic.

https://imgur.com/a/lMwyC
Thanks a ton. I've never added a relay but understand how they work. Just to make sure: Once the relay is installed, power is fed out of the relay to BOTH the stock and aftermarket horns, right?

Also how do you like the supertones? I thought I read they were higher pitched, could be wrong.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks a ton. I've never added a relay but understand how they work. Just to make sure: Once the relay is installed, power is fed out of the relay to BOTH the stock and aftermarket horns, right?

Also how do you like the supertones? I thought I read they were higher pitched, could be wrong.
the super tones are almost laughable coming from a truck but honestly I ordered a set for my wife's audi q5 and since they were only $35 I figured I would get a second set and toss them on the truck. I had them on my subaru previously so I knew how they would sound.

Without going to double check the exact wiring it would be...
1- relay gets power from battery
2-relay gets grounded
3- relay goes to one horn, then splice another line to other horn
4- rely to current stock horn to "trigger" stock and hella's

this is overly simplified so if you have questions feel free to ask and I'll help how I can. also I'll include a link to a decent install on a tacoma. This install does not keep stock horns but it shows you how to wire the relay. Just add the trigger from stock horn and you'll be set if you want to keep both.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/hella-supertones-horns-install-guide.98465/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.