Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having paint issues yet again. After a rainy day out here in the desert area I decided to wash my truck, well, I made a mistake cuz I guess this time the rust coating peeled off, from what I was told it might be a rock that chipped off the paint and since its my second time on the same side (the right quarter panel) Toyota is getting involved along with a body shop, or their body shop to look deeper in to it. I bought the truck at the end of July, and so far this is my second issue with paint. Has any one had this problem before. pics below.

View attachment 528

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
...from what I was told it might be a rock that chipped off the paint. Has any one had this problem before. pics below.
View attachment 528
Awful big rock to take a bunch of paint off like that without denting the metal big time. Glad to say I don't have anything like that on my truck. Nor am I aware of anyone else I know with an 07 or 08 having that problem.

Second time around? That must suck.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the paint is actually hanging there

·
Registered
13 Posts
paint problems

Good lord, hope I don't have this happen. I have found many chips and scratches already and I have pampered the He!! out of this truck. Bet Toyota is selling the crap out of touch up paint. Nice how a manufacture can make money on a deficiency.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is a clearer picture during the day

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
here is a clearer picture during the day
Geeeez!!! That should be a no-brainer for the dealer to fix. They ought to get the factory rep involved in that issue. That should have never happened; unless you've been driving through puddles of paint remover.

I can tell you right now, no rock did that my friend.:eek:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
taking it in on Wednesday so an inspector can look at it, and approve or decline the work to be done on the paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me know what they tell you. I have a Radiant Red '07 DC and am having paint issues as well. I can remove paint from certain parts of the truck with a firm thumbnail. The primer underneath looks smooth. There is NO apparent bond with the primer.

These newer sandless primers are very sensitive to time. If you miss the spray 'window' then they WON'T bond. I think that's probably what happened with mine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry it took me so long to post but work is keeping me pretty busy, either way I tried to take the truck in last week, but was turned away because the inspector canceled, that was my fault since I forgot to call before I went. Took it in Wednesday night, and was called yesterday about 3pm they said that it appeared to be a factory defect and the work was being approved. They said its in the body shop and need about 5 business days to get it taken care of, but they need a few more approvals before they take care of it, so if I don't get it Friday next week, it'll be the following. no questions were asked by the way, and I know some of you don't like Longo, but I'd rather go there than any other place since out here, I haven't even received a call since the 10th of December on when the inspector was coming to el centro to check out the damage.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got my truck back, the report out of the dealer on the work said paint peeling - poor adhesion. I'm just glad i have my truck back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts