Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Papasmurf's Expo Build Thread - Updates 4-4-18

So many have now asked or suggested I do a build thread I figured it was a good time if any. Thanks @osidepunker @Dragos28 @2010 @N2Deep

A little history and plans/ideas I had which directs my build.

Im a bit of a prepper as well as a avid gun enthusiast (* I own a small business dedicated towards that, Molon Labe Tactical, LLC. )

The idea behind the truck was to be as versatile and utilitarian as possible. I wanted a truck that could tow, mild rock crawl/trail run, long term expo vehicle and solid daily driver. I know that all sounds crazy but I think I have found the combo that works best for me.

So not sure where to start but here it goes.

Bought my truck in late 2012... its a 2007 Crewmax 4x4 TRD Silver with gray leather interior.

First order of business was suspension, In the plans for Expo i knew i wanted clearance so bracket lift was the way for me. I wanted the strongest out there but nothing so high i risked breaking things because of it. So I ordered the BDS 7 kit with full 2.5 Remote resi Icons for good on and off road setup.

I also addressed wheels and tires. I first thought 17's w 35's but went w 18's and 35's( im now changing my mind on this set up and changing soon, i will post up details further down on this topic.)

I also realized I needed body armor (front and rear bumpers)
I went with the Epxo One matching front and rear, with extra hoop for protection.

I also added a Voliant intake and magnaflow cat back exhaust.

Here is the initial setup and what the truck looked like.

I installed Airlift air bags for when I tow and heavy loads.

Here are my cool seat covers ( i sell them btw , custom made)

Then i decided to work on interior stuff and lighting. So i went through and installed new switches, power distro and light bar hid head lights, and a bully dog tuner

Here are some of the switches installed

the other switches

all installed

litup during the day

what they look like lit up .. the match perfect

power distro block

power distro block completed

all front lights on mid day

rear fog lights

hid's

front light bar

my little ant helpers...

bully dog

Wiring Diagram

I realized after a few outings that I needed to upgrade my rear suspension and do a little more to the front end, So i added Upper control arms, and new dakar leafs, with coachbuilder +2 shackles as well as day star air bag cradles. (the more flexible springs and shackle combo meant I had to get creative with my exhaust.. lol)

UCA's

Daystar Cradles and Leafs installed with new shackles

CoachBuilder +2 rear shackles

Dakar Springs

tips were in the way

I chopped off the tips...

Than it was time to address the Expedition aspect of the truck. I have a flipbak bed cover and I wanted a RTT and rack, so I built my own. I can still access the bed and cover, and keep the locking sealed waterproof function of the bed and cover as well as a rack with my RTT, so here that is.

While some of this was going on, i started having steering rack issues. Here is the link to my thread about that.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-maintenance-repair-dealer-warranty-issues/451194-definitive-steering-rack-thread-solutions.html

I added coachbuilder tie rods to strengthen the steering components as well as a new power steering rack which we pulled the stock rubber bushings out and custom cut derlin ones for it.

Ill take pics of these later

I also have a set of Demello Sliders I won at a raffle during the Tundras to Sedona Meet I still need to install and take off my AMP steps.

///Things coming up///

17" Method Wheels
12.5 x 37 x17 BFG KO2
46 Gal Extended tank
Hot water system ( @osidepunker design .. i need help building one bro)
On board Air system

can anyone think of anything I should add/do/change etc. Feel free to comment.. thanks for stopping by!

~Bruce

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice build homie! We need to get it dirty again! Here's my hot water system thread:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-4x4-off-road-tech/367009-board-hot-water-system.html

I'll probably get to the tank next year since jerry cans are working just fine
sweet bro thanks for the link! and yeah we do, i really need to get these wheels and tires asap... my toyos are running down fast. And im re-registering my truck in AZ so I can get the transfer flow extended tank soon too.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
sweet bro thanks for the link! and yeah we do, i really need to get these wheels and tires asap... my toyos are running down fast. And im re-registering my truck in AZ so I can get the transfer flow extended tank soon too.
Damn dude I really want that tank. You think a ca smog shop would really catch that?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn dude I really want that tank. You think a ca smog shop would really catch that?
Honestly yes.... why because one gave me shit about my vloaint intake which has a carb exempt # only because my sticker isnt on it

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some shots from the Tundra's to Sedona meet. At Base camp.

Reactions: osidepunker

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice build. Im doing a roof top tent on my build next year. Over the bed like you did. But not as high as that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice build. Im doing a roof top tent on my build next year. Over the bed like you did. But not as high as that.
Yeah I only built mine that high so I could get a full sized spare in between the bed cover and the rack.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah I only built mine that high so I could get a full sized spare in between the bed cover and the rack.
I like it a lot though. My girlfriends likes the tall on like you have. I was trying to keep my a little lower to keep the tent when traveling level with the cab. Do you feel any wind resistance at all when traveling with the tent?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it a lot though. My girlfriends likes the tall on like you have. I was trying to keep my a little lower to keep the tent when traveling level with the cab. Do you feel any wind resistance at all when traveling with the tent?
Nope not at all. Its just a little over the cab height, so honestly the wind is pretty much deflected right over by the cab.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much for the seat covers? Also how do you like the RTT? Been debating lately to go this route or an offroad teardrop trailer.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much for the seat covers? Also how do you like the RTT? Been debating lately to go this route or an offroad teardrop trailer.
some a PM and we can discuss the pricing and options etc.

I love my RTT, honestly I would take a RTT over a small trailer any day.. and in the world of expidition they both have ups and downs. I prefer the lighter option. I have a much higher range than if i pulled a trailer. The only thing I think i would say is those little off road trailers with RTT's are the best combo, but pricey, 10-15,000. but it would be nice to set up camp and leave it, while I wheel during the day, in this case I have to set up and break down camp every morning and night, but its quick so thats good.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That artillery is sweet! Are you going to do any wheel well lighting for night excursions/camping?
I have 10 6 led pods under the truck :) so yup i have it. And thanks , thats only a small sample of what I have in the gun dept.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lets talk about some quick updates...

So after much deliberation, Ive decided on new wheels and tires.. 11lbs lighter tire and wheel combo while going up in size.. its a win win.

So here is what I went with.

Method Double Standard
17x8.5
0 offset
4.75 Backspacing

BFG KO2 in 37x12.50x17

now for the installed pics :)

Also after having some SMOG troubles (****in cali and their bull crap laws) i ended up just biting the bullet and getting a TRD intake and installing that and plastidipping my engine cover black

Ok so coming up in the next few weeks is a roof mount light bar install, a few new switches, my demello sliders are going on, and the AMP steps are coming off.

So thats it for now I will keep you all up to date with more once im done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great build! Love it!

Reactions: papasmurf
1 - 20 of 120 Posts