Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been a member for a while, but have never posted- thought I would get some opinions on an upcoming dream trip.

I have a 2012 Tundra, double cab, TRD Off Road that I will be driving from Dead Horse, Alaska, all the way down to Ushuaia, Argentina (Farthest north road-connected city in NA to farthest south city in SA). I should be departing May 2014, and taking a little over a year to complete the adventure.

The journey will be mixed driving on paved and dirt / gravel roads. Won't need any hardcore off road capability, and need to balance highway with backroad use. There will be a ton of remote camping as well, but also city, beach, hotels, hostels, and whatever the road may bring.

So, if you were making this trip, what sort of modifications / additions would you make to your truck? I have already made a few, and have a few planned, that I am certainly willing to share, but would love to hear what people say with a "clean canvas".

I look forward to your suggestions / ideas! Thanks.

-Scott

·
Registered
136 Posts
Transfer flow large fuel tank designed for the tundra... It increase capacity from 26 gallons to I believe 46 gallons... Or something insane like that...
Expensive but will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I would keep the exhaust stock for sure. I hope you'll post pictures along the way.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Bulletproof it. I mean windows not suspension. :D

Man be careful. That's like putting a porterhouse around your neck and running through the woods. Every predator gonna smell you a mile away. Also I don't know how our heavy trucks will do in those mud pit roads.

You see current season of gold rush? Those smaller trucks get almost completely submerged in that clay mud. Ours would sink like the Titanic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Camper shell. It would be convenient to be able to sleep there when you have to. It would also be convenient to be able to just get up and drive away.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I was going to say get a bed tent but the camper shell sounds much easier and very useful for a long trip. I'd also consider bringing a few full gas cans in case of emergency. I'd also bring lots and lots of beer.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
+1 on the armor. It's not cost effective and it will cause your vehicle to break down more but there is a reason many embassies in Central and South America have it on all of their vehicles. I was a Marine Embassy Guard and we had it.

Are you doing this for fun or for a reality show or something? I can't imagine that being too much fun but it's a hell of an accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Good set of all terrain tires with matching full size spare, transfer fuel tank, camper shell or bed cover, Hi-lift jack, disable/bypass the AIR pumps, expedition roof rack and bedrack, spare air filter. Definitely get rid of the stock shocks, they have shown to break at the mount even with moderate off road.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Off the top of my head?

- Larger fuel tank
- bullet proof doors and glass
- 6-8" lift/shocks and 35-37" military run flat mud tires
- Double bead lock wheels
- (2) full size spares
- High lift jack and all else need to change a tire and or get out of a stuck situation (shovel, axe, etc)
- Front & rear bumpers with winch (never know if your going to have to push something over or ram it)
- Camper shell
- Several Fire arms, M4, .40, shotgun.
- Air lockers front and rear
- re-gear 4.88 (going to need that to use the military run flats)
- lots of skid plates for armor against nature
- satellite phone
- TRD Supercharger

Thats off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I guess I'll play devils advocate for some of these ideas:
I would lean away from bullet proofing anything... Obviously it's a major overhaul and is relatively unrealistic anyway but if you did have the means to do it, I would still advise against it. It will just give you a crap ride for a year, and make your truck work way harder then it needs to.
One thing on the supercharger idea is that there is a good chance you won't find premium gas from time to time, so that could pose a pretty big problem. If you find out that's not going to be an issue, this is probably the best idea.

My mod list:
Upgraded suspension
Good set of AT tires with 2 full size spares (1 in bed, 1 under truck)
Larger fuel tank
Truck cap/ shell
Fog lights with bull bar
Skid plates
Roof rack for storage
Winch
Dark tint (definitely do this, unless you want to be easily seen driving through every town)
In cab cooler

Accessories:
Can of quick air/ compressor with tire repair kit
Good med bag with lots of Pepto, Tylenol/ ibuprofen, sudafed,
Sat phone
Spare filters, tranny fluid, oil, fuel additive, spark plugs, belts, battery etc)
Maps & GPS
High lift jack
Tow rope
Pistol
5 Gal jug of water (for emergencies)
1 case of MREs (for emergencies)
Real good toolkit

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts