Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had plasti dip on my bumpers for a little while, but I'm leaning towards a smooth finish that is color matched. The question I have is how durable is the vinyl. The quote I've got is $280 for both bumpers in vinyl. Painted was $330 for EACH bumper. Even with paint for durability will come down to how good they remove the chrome. What do you guys think?

Here is a picture of how it currently looks.

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
If you are goin through the trouble of prepping the bumpers for painting, powered coat them like BDT said. More durable, it's a better coating.

If you go with vinyl, find a place that uses 3m products. I've done several videos for the commercial graphics devision that does the car/truck wraps and the newer vinyls are tough and very flexible. All their installers are trained and certified.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you take it to the righr place they will strip the chrome off the bumpers and then prep and paint. I took mine to the dealer and did for $400 for both bumpers and grille shell.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I checked into having mine either powder coated or LineXed. Was told in order to have it done right and stay good, they would need to either be acid dipped or sandblasted to remove the chrome so the product would adhere better.
Putting vinyl wrap on the bumper may be a bad step depending on where you live and what you use the truck for. The front bumper especially will be vulnerable to chips from debris kicked up, scratches, etc. Powder coating would be tougher than vinyl. I can see vinyl needing to be redone after awhile. LineX would be even better, and you can color match the stuff too.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not sure if all Line X dealers charge the same price but I was quoted $200 a piece for the bumpers with regular Line X. I would just call your nearest dealer and request a quote.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
THat TV guy did his chrome bumper on his non toyota about 4 years ago and he said they are holding up well. I think prepped chrome would last longer in rust areas than a stripped bumper.
I've been on the lookout for a cheap bent bumper that I could repair and test this out on for awhile.
Powder coat is good for solid colored trucks but paint is the only way to match the metallics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts