Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the dreaded P2445 Secondary Air Injection System Pump Stuck Off (Bank 1) last week. I also got the P0418 Secondary Air Injector Relay A Malfunction. After spending 8-hrs split between the last two Sundays, I have cleared the relay code but the AIP code recurs.

I have a 2009 with about 102K miles. I'm not a professional mechanic but do know my way around the engine compartment. Until this issue arose that is. The repair manual seems to indicate the pumps are under the engine behind the right front wheel well. Other forums and internet searches seem to indicate these may be located under the intake manifold.

Last week I had the intake manifold off but could not locate the pumps. If they are in fact under the intake, I may have stopped short of removing the required amount of parts, brackets, hoses, and electrical connections.

Yesterday I was attempting to locate the pumps via the RF wheel well. Again I either stopped short of removing the proper amount of parts or I am still looking for these pumps in the wrong location.

Can anyone confirm where these pumps are located on my 2009? I would like to replace them or repair them if possible.

I have a funny feeling I will not not pass inspection in Massachusetts with this issue unresolved. I also do not have $4000.00 or whatever the going rate is at the dealer or other repair shops to replace the whole system.

I would really like to find them and clean them or repair or replace them. I'm feeling a little stupid not being able to locate them with all the time & effort I've put into this already.

And yes I have considered the AIP Bypass kit as well. If I go this route, I need to know where the bypass plates get installed. I can't seem to find this either. I suspect these are close to the firewall with very limited viewing.
:(

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The air pumps on the Gen2 are located between the front bumper and fender liner on the right side. The valves are located between the intake manifold and firewall.
Your '09 AIP warranty was extended to 10yr/150k so the repairs should be covered by Toyota. Once it has been repaired install a bypass kit.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The AIP system has a 10 year / 150,000 mile warranty on it for every year tundra from 2007-2013 with the exception of 2011. Call your dealer to confirm this, but I'm 99% positive you should be covered.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The air pumps on the Gen2 are located between the front bumper and fender liner on the right side. The valves are located between the intake manifold and firewall.
Your '09 AIP warranty was extended to 10yr/150k so the repairs should be covered by Toyota. Once it has been repaired install a bypass kit.

I believe that once they flash the ECU after the repair you can no longer run the bypass kit. Not sure on the specifics, but I remember seeing that somewhere on here.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I believe that once they flash the ECU after the repair you can no longer run the bypass kit. Not sure on the specifics, but I remember seeing that somewhere on here.
The re-flash does screw up the bypass kits, but most dealers will repair the AIP without doing the re-flash if you specifically tell them not to do it.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for this information. I'll be calling the dealer for a warranty repair. We'll see how they respond to the request to just replace the parts without flashing the ECU. Any idea if there is a way to backup the current firmware and reflash the ECU with the old version in case the dealer won't do the repair without also flashing the ECU with newer firmware? Or would I need expensive equipment and software to do this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2008 tundra, I changed the valves and solved the problem only that it made a stage noise like an air leak, replace the two pumps with new ones and when doing so it gives me a new code, now I don't know what to do. the code is p0419 indicates the new pumps and they are new ... someone to help me or give me advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts