Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a 03 Tundra with the CEL for P0442 Evap emission leak (small leak). After doing some research I decided to replace my gas cap because that seem to be a lot of peoples problem. Well the light came back on tonight and I was wondering what else is common to these trucks that I can try to do to solve this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If not gas cap and if filler tube already replaced under warranty then have a smoke test done. My leak is so small dealer can't see it but we can smell it with the smoke test. Pinned it down to either the charcoal canister, gas tank, or somewhere in the connection between them. Can't tell unless we pull the bed or just start replacing parts. For now just waiting until it gets larger to pinpoint what is wrong, and living with the cel. Clear it with the code reader every once in a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if the filler tube was replaced I need to contact the dealer. I bought a stant gas cap to replace the oem one. Is the stant gas cap good or should I find a oem cap?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If not gas cap and if filler tube already replaced under warranty then have a smoke test done. My leak is so small dealer can't see it but we can smell it with the smoke test. Pinned it down to either the charcoal canister, gas tank, or somewhere in the connection between them. Can't tell unless we pull the bed or just start replacing parts. For now just waiting until it gets larger to pinpoint what is wrong, and living with the cel. Clear it with the code reader every once in a while.
find another dealer. when they smoke the system and can smell gas, i have see things often on other toyotas cars but i figure it be same with trucks. it might be a cracked overfill valve on top of the gas tank. its easy enough to drop the tank and little and smoke it. the valve usually look wet and if you grab the valve and move it a bit, it should show the crack and smoke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts