Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, given the posts in the General Discussion forum on sliders, I previously posted this there, and the mods were kind enough to delete it. Since there is no guidance provided regarding where posts should go outside of the little blurb on the master links, I'll try posting it again, guessing again where this should go. Since the blurb for this section specifically references "any armor modifications", hopefully this is the correct place to post it. If not, then hopefully someone can point me in the right direction instead of just deleting it without notice.

I picked up a set of the P&P Engineering Rock Sliders; type 4.

These feature 1/4" steel plates that bolt to the side of the frame rails, using stock holes. They do not bolt to the bottom of the rails and do not need to be welded on; after seeing how beefy they are, I don't think either of those points are detrimental. Where they bolt to the frame, the vertical frame wall is sandwiched between two plates of steel that are each 1/4" thick, and it is bolted on with five 5/8" grade eight bolts. They're beef.

The frame of the sliders is comprised of 2x2" steel, with 1/4" plate gussets.

The outer rail is 1.75" DOM tubing. I picked the P&P sliders in particular because of their use of DOM instead of ERW, as DOM is greatly stronger. I selected steps that had full top plating, and were sent bare. I cleaned them, hit them up with an appropriate self-etching primer, and then painted them with Rustoleum spray bedliner. The texture is nice--not "tear you up if you rub them", but there's a little grip on the steps.

As far as beef goes, you can jack up the whole side of the truck from the steps, with immeasurable deflection. It's impressive.

For customer service, P&P was incredibly conversant before and during the purchase, with helpful and personable support. When I experienced an issue during installation, the owner actually STOPPED BY MY HOUSE on his way out to the FJ Summit a few weeks ago. I was shocked by that one--truly great service.

Installation took 45 minutes. Because I have long fingers, I was able to install this without dropping my full steel fuel tank skids. I never seized the bolts and cranked them down. The e-brake bracket on the driver's rear has to be bent a bit to clear, but that was easily done. On the passenger side, inside the frame rail, I had to move the brake lines a bit to get the steps installed, but the lines went right back to place when the plates were in. Twas easy, and all of the brackets were square, properly drilled and easy to install. Of note, the plates that go inside the frame rail included a piece of steel tubing welded in their center hole that goes through the frame rail and into the outer mounting bracket, for super-beef installation.

Side view:
IMG_0063

Front of the front mounting bracket (2 of 3 of the bolts):
IMG_2541

Rear of front mounting bracket, and rear 2 mounting brackets:
IMG_5446

Closer view:
IMG_9567

Narrower by front door:
IMG_7858

Wider by rear door:
IMG_5257

IMG_6544

If you look in that last picture, you'll see that they have some of the very best "complete" coverage between wheel wells of any sliders...another reason I picked them!

Super happy so far!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Those look great, OP

I’ve been looking at these for a while, and now I’m really thinking about pulling the trigger.

How tight are they to the bottom of the doors?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look great, OP

I’ve been looking at these for a while, and now I’m really thinking about pulling the trigger.

How tight are they to the bottom of the doors?
You have a little bit of vertical adjustment to play with. I have mine set so that they are about 1/4" below the lowest part of the cab where the supports for the steps are. The top of the supports are even with the top of the steps, so that should give you a pretty good idea.

I've been very pleased with them; highly recommend!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You still liking them ?

Were the welds pretty smooth?
Paint prep wasnt too difficult?
They’re great! I’ve been impressed by how they’ve held up with some awful winter conditions. They’re very grippy with slick shoes, too. And they’re beefy as heck!

Paint prep wasn’t bad. I took My time to really get into the crevices and clean, and then used an etching primer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts