Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have owned the Tundra for about 2 Months now and I have to say that I LOVE the truck. I don't love the MPG but its not as bad as I thought it might be.

I can usually go 8, 9 or 10 days between fill ups depending on where I have to go during the week. Averaging 14.5 MPG in Town.

I just took the Tundra on its first family road trip and I am happy to say I bought the right truck.

Drove from Fredericksburg VA to Blacksburg VA for the VT Spring Game (GO HOKIES!) and the truck took the mountains in SW VA with ease. It was so nice to stay in the left lane driving 70+ MPH going up the mountains while everyone else was put putting along in the right and center lanes.

I have made this drive hundreds of times and this is the first time I was able to stay in the left lane and actually accelerate going up the mountains. All my other vehicles were slow and lacked the power to go anything more than 55mph up some of the climbs.

Best of all the Truck got 18MPG on the four hour drive. WHO HOO! Took just over half a tank to get there.

The back seat of the crew max is perfect for my family. I have a 4 year old and a 7 month old baby. So the wife was climbing back and forth between the front and back seat. She was happy that even with two car seats in the back seat there was still plenty of room for her to stretch out and entertain the baby.

The 4 year old was silent the whole way watching movies on the DVD player. :)

And all our luggage, coolers, strollers, pack and play, tailgate gear, and other crap stayed bone dry underneath my Undercover Tonneau Cover. It rained very hard on the way down on Friday.

So happy with the purchase I made in Feb.

Love the Tundra.

Now I just have to vacuum up the cheerios my boy dropped in the back seat.

· Registered
839 Posts
Food is the worst... Well, dirt is worse, but at least dirt is understandable. But it's not as if you'd leave the kids home! Sounds like a good ride. Our kids love watching DVD's on long rides, this past winter we did a trip, got stuck in a snowstorm, and not a peep from the kids -- ages 5&7 -- despite being parked for 3 hours -- and after 14 hours in the car!

Too bad I didn't have the Tundra at the time, I would have just driven around the mess.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I have a 4 year old and a 7 month old baby. So the wife was climbing back and forth between the front and back seat.
Unless you like the idea of being a single father, tell your wife to wear her seatbelt and stop climbing around like a monkey in truck that's driving down the road. She'd bounce around the inside of that truck like a rag doll if you got into a wreck at 70+ MPH while she was climbing around. That's insane.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you like the idea of being a single father, tell your wife to wear her seatbelt and stop climbing around like a monkey in truck that's driving down the road. She'd bounce around the inside of that truck like a rag doll if you got into a wreck at 70+ MPH while she was climbing around. That's insane.
Well if we got into a wreck at 70+MPH we would all be in trouble.

But I hear you. I actually told her not to do it and that we could stop and pull over. But she said no and just climbed back there.

· Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Yep, my truck is the best road vehicle I've had. The safety comments kinda made me smile. I think back to when I was about 10 or 11, the father of some friends had an Alfa Romeo convertible. We would put 3 of us in there, one on the passenger seat and one behind each seat facing sideways.

Seat belt....what is that?

· Registered
343 Posts
Good report, RU. That's pretty decent mpg too. 5.7?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. 5.7 ltr Crewmax Rockwarrior.

The first 3 hours of the trip are where I banked my MPG's I was cruising with no traffic going 65 - 72 MPH using the cruise control. Last 45 minutes of the trip is where you start to climb the mountains.

I was surprised when I calculated the MPG's. And to be totally honest it came in at 17.95 MPG. :)

· Registered
343 Posts
Not bad at all, actually, I like!

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm with you on our trucks being great road trip vehicles. Just drove from Great Falls MT down to Colorado Springs Co. Stayed in Cheyenne WY and woke up to the nasty weather that has been going through here lately. I-25 closed so I had to take a back road down through Colorado during the white out. 17.8 MPG for the overall trip to include 4WD for part of it on the back road doing 30 MPH behind a big rig with my 5.7. Talk about riding in comfort. Comfortable and secure. I love this truck.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
God that is a long trip from Great Falls, MT to Colorado Springs. I used to make that trip several trips a year. Glad most of the family got tired of the weather in MT and moved down south.

I love my CM for....everything. Having a huge back seating area is great. Makes life easy.

· Registered
7,532 Posts
Yep. 5.7 ltr Crewmax Rockwarrior.

The first 3 hours of the trip are where I banked my MPG's I was cruising with no traffic going 65 - 72 MPH using the cruise control. Last 45 minutes of the trip is where you start to climb the mountains.

I was surprised when I calculated the MPG's. And to be totally honest it came in at 17.95 MPG. :)
that's awesome mpg, I just got 16 mpg on the way to vegas, and I wasn't being nice to it LOL

· Registered
343 Posts
BRIFF, right on about the comfortable and secure part! I drive a lot, and you need a tough vehicle to handle road conditions and drivers. That's a main reason I love trucks!

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
I took my CM on a road trip from Buffalo, NY to Lake Havasu, AZ. Stopped at the Grand Canyon on the way back and took a different route for a change of scenery on the trip home. Me and my 3 teenagers and a bunch of crap in the bed. 5005 mi in 10 days. Averaged 18.25 mpg for the entire trip.
There's not another vehicle that I would have traded the CM for on that trip. Not a car, another pickup, a van, an SUV, nothing. The CM is the ultimate road trip rig.
And the kids were able to take a lot of nice scenery pics from the back seat while driving, because of the rear window. They also loved the room and reclining seats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.