Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you having over heating issues while towing? Just this past week I towed a 21ft toy hauler with two quads and a bunch of gear from Long Beach CA to Pizmo beach. Truck did fine the whole way up until I had to pull a long hill, my coolant temp gauge started moving steady up. Luckily I didn't have to pull over BUT on the way back home around the thousand oaks area on the 101 the temp gauge got all the way up and I had to pull over to cool down. Are the stock fans not efficient enough to cool these trucks down while towing? It was 89 outside with a good breeze.. anyone else havin this problem?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Like volleyball said, check somewhere else. I had a similar trailer, towed for 12 hrs from kc to waynoka,ok. Once a month with either an enclosed or dove tail. Temp never left normal with 100 plus temp days, even when running at above speed limit speeds :). Weights would very from 5-9k. What were ur RPM's and Gear. I sometimes would have to keep it in the S mod to keep it from shifting and re shifting. Also what's the mileage on your truck?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Towing

Towed about the same weight over 3,000 miles round-trip with zero issues. Had the tranny in D w/ tow/haul "on". (I mention this only b/c there is much debate on this site on how you should tow with these trucks.) I have an 07 CM 5.7 with the tow package, a 2.5 front/1.5 level kit, and w/ 275/65 20 duratracs. I'm a fanatic about maintenance and have had my tranny drained a refilled with the world standard tranny fluid (at 86,000), water pump, and coolant replaced all in one service. I currently have 102,000 miles on my truck.

Anything in your grill or the fins of the radiator/tranny cooler?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Current mileage is 122755. I was in tow haul mode and the rpms were around 2500/3000. I haven't had the tranny fluid replaced yet and the radiator doesn't "look" dirty or plugged. This was my first time towing something real heavy. I'm running 35 inch tires with a custom front bumper with winch..

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Do you think that bumper may be directing air away from the radiator? I was 2000 RPM most of the time but was traveling about 70MPH with no more than 15 minutes at the 3000 RPM range. I also only use the Toyota super long-life coolant...even buy it at the stealership when I need it. And I'm bone stock on the grill/bumper.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Not very much blockage up front. I guess for now ill start with replacing the tranny fluid and pressure wash the radiator and a/c condensor and thr tranny cooler and see if any of that helps

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I'm with you on the bumper...not much blockage there. Be careful with that pressure washer on the fins! Good luck.

Reactions: LBCrewMax

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Do you have a supercharger under that hood?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
753 Posts
That was taken care of at the same time I replaced the water pump
When I replaced the radiator on another one of my vehicles (non Toyota), the design of that engine and cooling system made it a big PITA when it came to air pockets in the cooling system. I'm not sure if the Tundra's cooling system presents the same challenge or not. Once I thoroughly bled that system coolant temps did not run outside the normal range for the vehicle.

Also, are there any cooling thermostats that you should be checking to make sure they are operating properly? Not sure how many thermostats the Tundra uses but if they are not working properly that could be a problem.

BTW, if you have a smartphone or tablet computer you should consider getting the Torque App and an OBD2 connector. With this setup you can monitor coolant and tranny temps among other things. Then you can see what is really going on with temps, etc. and just how hot the coolant and tranny temps are really getting. There are other threads here on the forum with mote information on the Torque app and how to set up the PIDs for the tranny temp monitoring.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Who makes the hood?

·
Registered
182 Posts
could your clutch fan possibly not be releasing at speed?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Could be thermostat sticking.... Could be trapped air in the system... Could be a faulty water pump even though its been replaced it could've gotten some gasket or sealant material in the passages of the new pump. Heck could be the temp sensor is faulty. Does it act normal with temps while driving around in DD duties?

Ive towed in hotter heat and a heavier trailer with no issues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts