Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, searched high and low for a solution but could not find one. I picked up an Otto Navi head unit for my 2013 Tundra, non JBL, took my basic factory unit out and was ready to roll but had no compatible wiring for the harness. The Otto Navi plug is 1-2 cm larger than any plug that could go into my factory radio. It also has a bunch of RCA plugs, which my tundra has none of.

My first question is that this Otto Navi unit is advertised for 07-12 models, but I was under the impression that the factory unit on the 2013 model was identical to 07+. Is this information incorrect?

My second question is, if the '13 factory radio is identical to the 07-12 models, am I an idiot? I feel like I must be missing something, but everything indicates that this should be a plug and play operation based on the product description. I have very little experience with car stereos so it's possible I'm overlooking something, but it doesn't seem to be the case. It seems like the unit is just not compatible. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I had not heard of that one before, so took a look at their site. The jack on the back of that is a Euro standard. Some VW and BMW as well as Audi I think use that style. If there is no harness included, that is not a direct plug in. The RCA outputs are just for amps, don't use them if you are not using an amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not heard of that one before, so took a look at their site. The jack on the back of that is a Euro standard. Some VW and BMW as well as Audi I think use that style. If there is no harness included, that is not a direct plug in. The RCA outputs are just for amps, don't use them if you are not using an amp.
It's not a direct plug, there is a connecting harness they provide which is supposed to take the main plug from the Tundra specifically, it just looks like it was intended for a completely different plug. I have been in contact with their support team and it's possible they shipped the wrong harness, but I had to send them a picture of it so I'm waiting to hear back. Since most head units advertise as fitting '07-13, I'm going to assume I'm correct about the plugs being identical across all of the newer basic set ups and that's not the issue.

Thank you for letting me know about the RCA outputs, I was racking my brain trying to figure out how I was supposed to connect those!

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's not a direct plug, there is a connecting harness they provide which is supposed to take the main plug from the Tundra specifically, it just looks like it was intended for a completely different plug. I have been in contact with their support team and it's possible they shipped the wrong harness, but I had to send them a picture of it so I'm waiting to hear back. Since most head units advertise as fitting '07-13, I'm going to assume I'm correct about the plugs being identical across all of the newer basic set ups and that's not the issue.

Thank you for letting me know about the RCA outputs, I was racking my brain trying to figure out how I was supposed to connect those!
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did you get this figured out? I've considered buying the otto navi unit as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did you get this figured out? I've considered buying the otto navi unit as well. Thanks!
I did figure it out, they had shipped me the wrong harness and quickly shipped me the correct one. They shipped me one meant for a JBL unit when it should have been a non-JBL unit. The new harness fit perfectly...very straightforward install. If you're considering it, do it. I first bought a different head unit, it was an Android from China, sounded very promising but it was disappointing. This head unit is awesome, well worth the money. Install a rear camera to complete it, it's relatively easy if you are knowledgeable enough to connect the rest of the wiring. My only issue with the unit is it doesn't navigate spotify well through the screen or the steering wheel controls, although you can use it just fine manually using your phone. And I wish the bluetooth audio had file information but it's just a play/rewind/forward screen. Everything else is great. XM Radio hook up was easy enough once I had the right parts. If you need any help on the install I'd be happy to point you in the right directions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what I just told you a total lie. This OttoNavi was the unit I did not like. The Advent OTOTUN1 is the unit I was talking about, which interestingly enough I had the same problem with the harness on ordering a non-JBL unit. It costs more, but I would spring for it. I was disappointed in the features of the OttoNavi, which felt very cheap to me and was an overall struggle to get the touchscreen to function how you wanted it. It actually ships with a touchscreen pen to navigate with because if you use your finger, it pretty much does whatever it wants. You're certainly welcome to try, but I would advise you spend the extra money on the Advent. It is worth it, and you will likely end up regretting the money you save on this one. Sorry about that, total brain fart.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You know what I just told you a total lie. This OttoNavi was the unit I did not like. The Advent OTOTUN1 is the unit I was talking about, which interestingly enough I had the same problem with the harness on ordering a non-JBL unit. It costs more, but I would spring for it. I was disappointed in the features of the OttoNavi, which felt very cheap to me and was an overall struggle to get the touchscreen to function how you wanted it. It actually ships with a touchscreen pen to navigate with because if you use your finger, it pretty much does whatever it wants. You're certainly welcome to try, but I would advise you spend the extra money on the Advent. It is worth it, and you will likely end up regretting the money you save on this one. Sorry about that, total brain fart.
Wow, that's too bad. I've read reviews on other auto forums with people that like the otto navi products. Do you think yours had a faulty screen or something? Did they give you a refund? Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that's too bad. I've read reviews on other auto forums with people that like the otto navi products. Do you think yours had a faulty screen or something? Did they give you a refund? Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Yeah, I had read a lot of favorable reviews as well...and on paper it is a great product. In execution, it is basically a knockoff brand Android tablet running a 2 or 3 year old version of Android that you can't update. Google Maps is a great feature, but this was the only thing it really had going for it for me. All this said, I don't know if they've updated the model because if they have, throw this all out the window. But if it's the same one I bought earlier this year, it's ok, but ultimately disappointing overall. I did enjoy it for a few days, but after a week I was ready to take it out and replace it with the stock stereo because the screen is virtually unusable when you're driving....it is just not responsive the way a vehicle touch screen needs to be.

I believe I had to pay a small restocking fee when I returned it, but I didn't get any trouble about it. I could even be wrong about that restocking fee, I know I was supposed to pay it but they may have waived it due to my troubles. I don't know, if you want to try it out you should. I still would strongly recommend you go with an Advent though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts