Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the North East with hot summers and cold winters. Original battery in my 2014. No problems yet but was wondering how long you have run the original battery in your Tundra. I believe i might have an Interstate battery. Six years is a long time for a battery cranking this beast. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I replaced the battery on my 2011 CMax last year Apr 2019 mainly due to a crack/leaking acid where the hold down bar is and also will not hold charge overnight when temp is 35 or below during one of my trip to a ski resort town. Replaced it with Yellow Optima though an OEM would have been ok too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
I replace my 2015 late last year, about 5 years and it just died with no warning at the gas station. So there I was blocking a pump trying to call someone, thank goodness a guy there jumped me and I drove immediately to get a new one. In saying this I'm thinking you're on borrowed time.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My 2016 OEM battery just died this year with no warning. Not the kind of longevity I’d like to see out of an OEM, but is what it is.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I had to replace the battery in my '07 after 7 years so you are about due for a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just replaced the battery in my 2015. It had been slow cranking for a couple months, then one morning it would not turn over. Charged it, but was dead again the next morning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
IMO, replacing battery should be a scheduled preventive maintenance, like oil changes. Every 5 yrs maybe overkill, but batteries are relatively cheap compared to the aggravation of getting stuck somewhere.
I've had good experiences on multiple vehicles using NAPA's "premium" , "7-year" batteries, forget what the model name is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in NE as well, original Toyota battery in my 2011. It's had a few winter nights in the garage, but not many. Only problem was maybe a month ago, parked but left the key on for a few hours. I carry a battery booster pack, usually to help others, but this time it was for me. I will probably replace the battery before winter arrives.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im in the North East with hot summers and cold winters. Original battery in my 2014. No problems yet but was wondering how long you have run the original battery in your Tundra. I believe i might have an Interstate battery. Six years is a long time for a battery cranking this beast. Thanks
[/QUOTE
The first battery on my 2008 Tundra lasted about 5-6 years. About 5-6 years after that, I had to replace it again. If you got a good 6 years out of it, I would recommend you replace it now. You've gotten you money's worth. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
276 Posts
2014 CM 4x4 1794. OEM Battery died at 40k and 4 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also, make sure you keep the battery connections clean to include the whole top of the battery. The residue that builds up on the battery is conductive and lead to premature failure of the battery. Take a voltage meter and just rest your leads on the residue and you will get a voltage reading if the residue has built up. You can get battery cleaner at the local auto parts store or just use baking soda and water. Make sure you use some type of solvent brush and clean the top thoroughly. If you do this routinely, your connections won't get as corroded. When I follow this routine, I rarely have to pull the connections off to clean them.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Replaced my original 07 battery after 9 years with Maxx Everstart. Time to replace it after 4 years. Total miles to date on truck is 42,509 mi. Probably go with an Interstate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a deep cycle big ass boat battery in mine from Walmart. Works like a charm! Two years running. Love all the extra post for my auxiliary fuse box and other junk I have acquired. I purchased one that barely fit, all I had to do was buy a short positive wire lead to extend the connection to the new battery. I think the polls are reversed or something if I remember correctly. So I had to put the battery in a certain way which was the opposite of the factory battery. No big deal for me

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still have the original battery in my 2011 in NJ, and it still cranks strong. I do have to replace the battery clamp which split in half a few weeks back due to corrosion though....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still have my original battery as well. 2008 double cab. I use a solar panel to keep it powered. Truck has 13,225 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 SR 5.7 long bed north east truck w/ 7.5' Western snow plow. Had to replace original battery within two years (warranty item). I replaced it again late last year due to notifications I was receiving on my remote starter app that voltage was dropping while the truck sits. I totally believe any issues I have had with the battery is only because of the drain caused by the plow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts