Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team,
I am suppose to pick up a new 2013 Tundra tomorrow that I ordered 3 weeks ago. It originally did not come with the TRD Dual exhaust, so I asked for it to be put on (about $1000.00). I got to see the truck yesterday and the exhaust does not appear to be the same as the one described on the Toyota website.

The chrome tipped pipes run straight out the back, instead of out the sides. The pipe material does not appear to be stainless steel, but I really cannot tell. The tips are labeled something that looks like Borland, definitely not TRD.

Does anyone know if this is a TRD factory setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
I dont think so, I bet they did a switch-a-roo or something. My TRD exhause comes out both sides behind the rear tires and say TRD on the tips.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
TRD exhaust is a rebranded Borla. Your dealer bought a Borla, put it on and probably overcharged you for it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don't think he got ripped off entirely...

Borla MSRP is over $1000 new.. I think something like $1200. WIth that said, you can find 'em for as low as like $800 (What I think TRD Sparks charges).

If you like the sound and the look than you really aren't in much worse of a spot except for the dealer doing a switcharoo on ya.

I think the '13 TRD sounds better than the Borla, but the Borla in years past. My '07 sounds great and I've had it on my truck for like 73k miles or so. No rust in these KS winters as it is T304 stainless.

In layman's terms, you didn't get a bad deal but you did get taken advantage of.

-rockstate

·
Registered
176 Posts
But without crawling under there and looking, it could just be some joe shmoe down the road who put in a cheapo system. a

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I go to the dealership tomorrow to discuss this with them I will at it more closely. I don't believe the exhaust hardware is the T304 or 409 stainless.

I found a thread where a Tenneco Engineer was discussing why Toyota went away from Borla and had to design the "behind the wheel dual exhaust" Here are two articles, with the second one being the recall due to the Borla design, "straight out the back":

(1) "....The TRD exhaust for the Gen II Tundra was the last project I worked on at Tenneco. TRD is the way to go on this truck. The exhaust is built on the same production line as the OE single exhaust. Just like the OE muffler, the TRD exhaust is made from LASER welded AISI409 stainless steel. The dual in and dual out design was my concept proposed to Toyota. The routing of the driver's side pipe is carefully done to protect the brake line and prevent heat damage to the spare tire.

Tenneco didn't do the Gen 1 Tundra exhaust. I know who did and I won't mention them here. Their design resulted in a recall because of potential brake system damage. This is what happens when an aftermarket company tries to engineer something like this. The TRD system was designed in parallel with the OE system, subjected to the same physical fatigue testing as the OE systems. (Two axis fatigue and thermal shock.) Even the support hangers were tested for resonance frequency at the same requirements as the OE hangers. This means the system will not naturally resonate into the chassis.

The tips are very high quality. The system is completely made in Tennessee but the tips are from Taiwan. (Coming from a very good supplier that I still keep in contact with.) The TRD logo is nicely embossed into the material and not just lightly laser etched.

I hope you enjoy the system. I had a blast on the project. The first time I got to ride the Tundra with the TRD system was in Toyota City, Japan in January 2006....

(2) Toyota Tundra Brake Recall:

"Toyota Motor Corp. said that it was recalling 5,726 of its full-size Tundra pickup trucks from the 2004-2005 model years.Vehicles affected are equipped with optional dual exhaust and vehicle stability control systems.One of the exhaust pipes could rub up against a brake line, possibly cause brake fluid leakage. " and raising the risk of a crash.2013 car reviews, Auto Channel, New Car Research, Used Car Research, Automotive News, Consumer Friendly, Alt Fuel, 2013 Car Reviews, 2012 Car Reviews, 2011 Car Reviews, New Car Research, Used Car Research, TACH-TV Car Videos, Automotive News | The Au. Here is a list of recalls on the Toyota Tundra:
Make : TOYOTA Model : TUNDRA Year : 2005
Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V123000 Mfr's Report Date : MAR 28, 2005
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 5726
Summary:
CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH BOTH VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL (VSC) AND THE TRD DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEMS. THE TRD DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM MET ALL CLEARANCE SPECIFICATIONS ON MODELS WITHOUT VSC, HOWEVER THE DRIVER'S SIDE EXHAUST LOCATED IN A POSITION WHERE CONTACT BETWEEN A BRAKE LINE FOUND ONLY ON VEHICLES WITH VSC AND THE TRD EXHAUST PIPE MIGHT OCCUR.
Consequence:
IN THIS CONDITION, THE EXHAUST PIPE FLANGE MAY RUB AGAINST THE RIGHT REAR BRAKE LINE, WHICH COULD CAUSE BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE. THIS COULD LEAD TO AN INCREASE OF VEHICLE STOPPING DISTANCE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF SO EQUIPPED, WILL REPLACE THE TRD DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM FREE OF CHARGE. DURING THIS REPLACEMENT, THE DEALER WILL ALSO INSPECT THE SPECIFIC BRAKE LINE TO ASSURE IT HAS NOT BEEN DAMAGED AND REPLACE IT IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 31, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Thanks again for your input!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
look at the pic's on the 2 links posted for Sparks. You will know if you got taken. I know you do not have the TRD back part, because they exit behind the wheels and are clearly embossed "TRD".

Tell them take it off, put the right stuff on, and to compensate you for the extra wait. Or, cancel the deal for trying to hoodwink you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you live in the Southeast? If so, that is your problem. I went through the same thing on my 2013 but fortunately figured it out before delivery. Southeast distributors don't put on the TRD, just the Borla out the back. I had to call Commerce, Georgia to finally get the right info. I ended up ordering the TRD's from a dealership and putting them on myself. Very easy, maybe one hour or so. The best price I found was McGeorge Toyota in Richmond, VA. May be different for you since I am in NC, so shipping wasn't as bad.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I would call it straight ignorance on the sales department. So many of our sales guys set up "we owe's" for new customers and when they come in for the install or whatever, a sad number of times, the wrong thing was ordered or nothing at all and we (the service department) looks like asshats.

Most of our sales guys now have learned (at least with Tundras) to just come over to me and I'll take the guy over to my truck to show what the TRD parts are.

To the OP, that is definitely not the TRD exhaust and is probably the Borola setup. Not a bad setup but definitely not he TRD and will have a slight drone at higher speeds. I would have them either fix it or adjust the deal.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
i was at the dealer Friday getting a service and noticed that the 2013 tundra crewmax that were on the lot came with the Borla exhaust that comes out of the back. Take the part numbers with the picture and show them they made an error.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
It shouldn't be a S.E.T. thing either, the TRD and Borola are both available as options, they are both listed on the dealerships website "SET Dealer Daily" under accessories. I am certain it is just plain and simple, the wrong thing was ordered.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Team,
I went to the dealership today armed with all the research and database knowledge you have shared with me. I was told that I ordered the code D01 which says performance dual exhaust on the work order. I explained to them the only performance dual exhaust listed in all the Toyota brochures and advertisements, the various Toyota websites, and the USAA Buying assistance program that I used to price this truck, all say the TRD exhaust is the only version of the performance dual exhaust. There is no indication anywhere that I found that indicated another type dual exhaust was available (and the Borla brand is not a true dual exhaust as it has only 1 muffler with 2 pipes coming out of it). I also explained, as already discussed the straight back design had safety issues and a factory recall. I asked them to replace the Borla with a TRD and they said no, with emphasis on the "no". So I left the dealership in Tallahassee and am now looking for another Toyota dealership elsewhere. I will probably have to forfeit the $500 deposit, but it would have cost more to accept the Borla and have it replaced with the TRD at my expense.

Thank you again for your help!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts