Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently let my sister borrow (big mistake, I know) my '12 DC XSP. On the way to returning it to me, she rear ended a '78 Bronco. My truck didn't fair so well. Insurance company has 2.0 man hours on the a pull/straighten of the unibody and $11,300 total damages. I had originally planned on keeping this truck till it didn't run anymore, so end-game resale value is not my big deciding factor. My biggest questions are, will ride quality and tow capability (and other related aspects) of my truck be noticeably diminished? It's a reputable shop, and I'll be asking for their measurements to verify a correct straightening. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Ouch! Sorry about your accident. Could you post up some pictures of the engine bay? The pictures seem to show just the front end damage. If the engine bay is caved in and you have damaged engine parts, it may be more problematic.

I had an accident last December and it was entirely front end damage. No negative effect on how the truck drives.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
FWIW....my brother-in-law got into a bad wreck with his 2010 F-150 4 door crew cab. Rather than total the truck, they replaced the frame and a lot of sheet metal. I don't remember the total repair bill, but it was huge. They had it for a couple of months, and it looks as good as new. I would imagine it drives like new, too. IMHO, the damage to your truck is at the very front and probably won't have any effect on driveability. I run my vehicles into the ground also, so repairs don't bug me as far as future resale.

BTW.....I never, ever, ever, lend out vehicles. NEVER! If someone needs my truck, it comes complete with a driver.

Reactions: BigNuge

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any pictures as of right now. I had to leave for work the day after it happened so I had just enough time to get it towed and that was about it. Going off the estimate though, the radiator and mounting bracket are being replaced along with the a/c condenser ctr cooling tie bar support, both cooling air deflectors and the cooling fan blade. I know a verbal rundown isn't the best way, but it seems like there was damage in the engine bay, hard to tell exactly how extensive though. Doesn't seem like it got too far back, just the stuff at the front. I'm hoping to get down the shop soon and take a look at it and also get some more pictures.
It was the first time I'd let anyone borrow it, and it will be the last time anyone borrows it without me driving.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Glad everyone is uninjured. The truck though looks rough. Any details on how it happened?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No pictures of the Bronco. It was at work when it happened and they drove with what the officer described as "no damage that she was able to differentiate from just being old." Amazing that it drove off and it's gonna a month before I get mine back. Finally got to go down and see it though and talk to them. Turns out the frame damage was the apron assy for the left front panel. They tried straightening and it ended up pulling it apart. The close up one shows the wrinkle. Found out they'll be replacing that whole section. Also got a chance to look at the engine bay (no pics, sorry) and it was pretty much intact. Most of the damage stayed pretty low on the truck or got soaked up by the radiator.
As to how it happened...she was returning the truck back to me and was trying to find where I worked, so her attention was not on things in front of her. She was more worried about how I'd respond. Her text of "We have a problem, can I call you?" is funny when looking back.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
LOL, that isn't a part of the frame... Guess everyone is used to everything being unibody where everything including the inner fender is the frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, the insurance company had listed it as frame on the estimates so I was very relieved to find out it was just that. At least my fears of the structural integrity are being alleviated.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The tundra is a modern day tank, but as a bronco owner myself I will let you know that a 78 bronco itself is a tank that makes the tundra almost paper machete like.

Sent from my toilet.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
As soon as I read "unibody", I knew what they were talking about. That semi-structural iron did exactly what it was supposed to do.

FWIW, my truck looked very similar to yours when I put it back together. You got lucky because the core support is mostly undamaged. Your shop, should have no trouble pulling that stamped steel back into shape. I believe them when you stated 11k for repairs.

Rebuilding my truck myself cost me 4500 in parts, but my labor is free and I love a good puzzle.

Now you know how worthless our bumpers are. I bult my own for 1/4 the money a new one cost.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The tundra is a modern day tank, but as a bronco owner myself I will let you know that a 78 bronco itself is a tank that makes the tundra almost paper machete like.
HA HA HA!!! :lol5: X2 and X3 :) I owned two '79 broncos and WOW... Those things are seriously beefy. The first one was sent to the wrecker after a 45 MPH encounter with the embankment on the side of a dirt road. New motor and trans + dirt road + aggression management session = power sliding fun. Throw in a patch of ice at 1 AM and 'Oooooohhhh crap... I'm driving my truck sideways while looking at the road through the back window.' Then BOOM, the front passenger side corner slammed in to the embankment. Amazingly, the only damage was a bent bumper, tweaked fender, and popped tire. At least that's what I though until I tried to drive it out of the ditch. 'My goodness, the power steering is working phenomenally well! Maybe that bump magically fixed it?!? Oh wait, what's that thing hanging down in front of the front axle? Steering linkage?" Yeah, the impact sheared the steering box shaft clean off at the pitman arm. But STILL... a 45 MPH impact and only the bumper is bent?? Are you kidding me? That's awesome! Otherwise I could have changed the tire and and driven home. Only reason it went to the scrapper was that it had copious amounts of cancer and it was cheaper for me to buy a clean, non-running shell than to buy a new steering box, bumper and fender.

Sorry to hear about your Tundra, NLP. When I saw that it hit a bronco, I knew the pics wouldn't be pretty. But, as others have said, it appears to be worse than it probably is. Should clean up nicely, I would think.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
FWIW....my brother-in-law got into a bad wreck with his 2010 F-150 4 door crew cab. Rather than total the truck, they replaced the frame and a lot of sheet metal. I don't remember the total repair bill, but it was huge. They had it for a couple of months, and it looks as good as new. I would imagine it drives like new, too. IMHO, the damage to your truck is at the very front and probably won't have any effect on driveability. I run my vehicles into the ground also, so repairs don't bug me as far as future resale.

BTW.....I never, ever, ever, lend out vehicles. NEVER! If someone needs my truck, it comes complete with a driver.
Couldn't agree more bro....

My brother took it upon himself to take my Tundra 2 weeks after I bought it (I was at work in my Avalon, commuter car). He returned it before I got home. Didn't matter, I am OCD when it comes to my things. I knew the tire lettering wasn't lined up the same. Also, he parked it with the wheels slightly turned left, e-brake off....the list goes on. And oh yeah, I memorize my ODO when getting out.

DONT TOUCH MY $HIT!!!!!!

BTW, she did a good job on your truck man.....she was likely texting her girlfriend....

Glad everyone is ok.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
222 Posts

Sent from my toilet.
My '89 Bronco was a brute of a truck too!!! :D

Had a guy pull a left in front of me. I had enough time to aim but not avoid collision. I hit his Ford Tempo just behind the rear wheel and folded the whole back end of his car around.

The impact forced the opposite side rear 1/4 panel 6" out.
The trunk flew open and as the car was spinning like a top through the intersection all the crap that was in his trunk was spraying all over the road. :lol5:

I felt a little bump in my truck when I hit him.
His car was a write off and my truck had minimal damage (bumper, fender, lower valance and a scratched head light surround).

The cop cam and said that I should make arrangements to get one of the tow trucks there to take my truck away. I said why? I have a bent bumper, I don't need a tow truck. :rolleyes:
He looked at the other vehicle and then came and took a look at mine and was amazed. He said "Nope you don't need a tow truck" :cool:

They don't build vehicles like that any more.
Of course it got terrible mileage too. :(

As to the OP
Just looks like minor damage.
Heck the biggest part of the work is just replacing the inner fender. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts