Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need opinions on whether to go with Magnaflow 11386 (dual in/dual out) or with a pair of Flowmaster Super 44s (I already have on hand) on my 2011 Tundra 5.7 DC. I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud, but don't mind it being an aggressive tone. I've ran super 44s on my 91 F150 :headbanger: before and loved the sound but had drone due to cab conditions. Also, wondering if I should have my rear cats removed as well. Any advice and opinions is welcomed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a pair of super 44's on my 67 Mustang. They sound very good and muscle-ey BUT.... talk about drone! They drone soooooo bad.

Now take in consideration i have them behind a 289 cubic inch engine (well actually 293 after boring) and headman shorty headers so i have no idea what it would sound like on a Tundra.

Good luck in whatever you choose and be sure to post some sound clips!

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Both are junk but IMO Magnaflow is the lesser of two evils. Their individual components are not too bad, but the people who route the tubes (tailpipes) are all on drugs.

Many aftermarket systems will drone.....some even notice it on the stock exhaust. Either way getting rid of drone is a trivial process with a Helmholtz resonator. You can make a Helmholtz resonator yourself for next to nothing. Its just a 26" long capped off piece of pipe welded into your tailpipe. Installing a pipe is very simple and requires no accuracy or skill. I've done this several times on my own and it always worked perfectly. Cut a piece of pipe 26" long, cap it off on one end. Install it in a "T" about half way down your tailpipe. Exact locations are not critical, it will work like a charm. Dollars instead of hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I went a similar route to what you are looking at with the magnaflows, although I did the dual in/dual out with the Flowmaster 50 series. I think the Super 50 is the exact one I have but I can't remember right off. I like the dual tailpipe look and wanted them coming out behind each tire. I didn't want to mess with the cats or any O2 sensors, so I had the shop cut off in front of the stock muffler, and install a dual in/dual out Flowmaster 50 series and new exit pipes and tips. I am happy with the sound, but it is a little quieter than I was expecting. The tundra runs quieter with those setups than the typical big 3 with the same mufflers. I debated between the 40 series (I had true dual 40's on an old K-5 blazer and loved it) and 50 series and I'm glad I went with the 50. The truck is my DD and I didn't want something that would be too loud inside the cab, as this is also the family car.

My truck has a nice rumble to it, nothing crazy or tons over stock, but you can tell it's there for sure. I'm sure I would have gotten used to or been happy with the 40's as well, but I don't regret my decision. That said, if this was just a spare vehicle that wasn't taken on trips and stuff, I would have gone with the louder setup no doubt.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Both are junk but IMO Magnaflow is the lesser of two evils. Their individual components are not too bad, but the people who route the tubes (tailpipes) are all on drugs.

Many aftermarket systems will drone.....some even notice it on the stock exhaust. Either way getting rid of drone is a trivial process with a Helmholtz resonator. You can make a Helmholtz resonator yourself for next to nothing. Its just a 26" long capped off piece of pipe welded into your tailpipe. Installing a pipe is very simple and requires no accuracy or skill. I've done this several times on my own and it always worked perfectly. Cut a piece of pipe 26" long, cap it off on one end. Install it in a "T" about half way down your tailpipe. Exact locations are not critical, it will work like a charm. Dollars instead of hundreds of dollars.
Keith made mine..

I put a 2 in 1 out magnaflow on my 14 5.7 when I got it.
It sounded great around town, but had the drone from hell on the highway
I put Keith's resonator on it and it killed the drone, but knocked the sound back to stock.

I ended up having Keith make me a 7 inch single out and I love it..

[/URL][/IMG]

For some reason the longer welded tip makes it sound even better..

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
keith or stock dont waste your money on either of those 2. i had magnaflow and now back to stock due to loss of power, torque, and way too much noise.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Keith made mine..

I put a 2 in 1 out magnaflow on my 14 5.7 when I got it.
It sounded great around town, but had the drone from hell on the highway
I put Keith's resonator on it and it killed the drone, but knocked the sound back to stock.

I ended up having Keith make me a 7 inch single out and I love it..

[/URL][/IMG]

For some reason the longer welded tip makes it sound even better..

I tried keeping my mouth shut, but I can't. Just one more time and I'll shut up.
I looked at Magnaflow and Flowmasters here on the forum, and I looked locally. It didn't take too long before all arrows pointed at a system from Keith for something I could bolt on, and not worry about it. It comes at a $$cost, but hey, why not.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I tried keeping my mouth shut, but I can't. Just one more time and I'll shut up.
I looked at Magnaflow and Flowmasters here on the forum, and I looked locally. It didn't take too long before all arrows pointed at a system from Keith for something I could bolt on, and not worry about it. It comes at a $$cost, but hey, why not.
I agree.
I found MANY a thread here of Magnaflow drone.
I bought my Magnadrone before I found this forum.
This forum led me to Keith @dirtydeeds
If I'd a found this forum before buying the Magnaflow, I never would have bought it.

Being bolt on to stock is a huge bonus.
Also with Keith, if you don't like the sound you're getting, he will make you a different size.
Of course the buyer has to pay shipping both ways for the remake.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a magna Flo on my 5.7. Dual in single out I believe. I always got compliments on how it sounded around town. But on the freeway it got old with the drone. Especially when towing. And it got louder overtime. I went back to stock about three years later. The muffler shop pushed flomaster but I didn't listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree.
I found MANY a thread here of Magnaflow drone.

This forum led me to Keith @dirtydeeds

If I'd a found this forum before buying the Magnaflow, I never would have bought it.
I was lucky and read too many conflicting posts on big box brands. Mainly Magnaflow and Flowmaster. So I went straight to DD's. Right @Mr. Creosote ? :lol:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Heeh, wonder what I would be paid if I started doing online shilling / phony reviews too. :lol:
If you follow my formula, you'll make exactly zero dollars :yesnod:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dishonesty begets dishonesty.
Very profound. There was some truth missing, I must admit. Let me rephrase:
If you follow my formula, you'll be out over $900.00
:nutkick:

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Thank you for putting the "if" in that statement.
Remember that as a marketer you must not underestimate the sentience of your target audience. Online shilling / phony reviews are easy to spot. Use this technique too often / too aggressively and it could backfire. :|

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thank you for putting the "if" in that statement.
Remember that as a marketer you must not underestimate the sentience of your target audience. Online shilling / phony reviews are easy to spot. Use this technique too often / too aggressively and it could backfire. :|
Ah I see. I haven't seen those around here. Do you have any examples on TT?
:smilelove:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.