Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 2638 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I definitely think you should get a Chevy 1/2 ton.
Chevy's mpg is not effected by oversized tires that are out of alignment or towing a heavy boat. Chevy fuel lines don't break when driving over piles of wood and if for some strange reason it does break 2 years out of warranty, a Chevy dealer will fix it promptly, honestly and inexpensively.
I probably would get a Chevy too, but for some strange reason, my alignment is fine, tires wear evenly and nothing under the truck has broken from piles of debris that came out of nowhere, even though I put a lot of miles on my truck, it's a DCLB full of tools and gear, weighs 3 ton, pulls heavy trailers, has been in and out of a construction site for the last 2 yrs and still averages 14.5 mpg year round for 4 yrs now. That average includes the towing and long cold winter warmups.
I must have gotten lucky and got a good one.
Guess I'll keep it.
My Tundra was SO BAD i went and bought a FIAT!

Oh wait, no it wasn't. I kept it for five years of borderline abusing it, and I still sold it for over book value. And somehow, my 4x4 always worked...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
1. Fuel mileage. I get 11 mpg on the highway and 9 mpg in town.
2. All the sensors, ECU's, and other B.S. that cause the truck to shut down
3. Toyota service at dealerships - dishonest thieves
4. The ticking noise in my engine. Apparently its the timing chain hitting the housing. Sounds like a diesel.
5. Air conditioner rattle noise. Drives me crazy. Can't find the rattle.
6. I hate how difficult it is to change the oil because of that stupid filter they used. Ridiculous!
7. No transmission dip stick
8. Have to run donut tires on a 4x4 unless you install a lift. Absurd!
9. Most of all I hate the fact that the 4 wheel drive is tied to so many sensors throughout the vehicle. If 1 sensor out of a hundred goes out you lose 4x4 capability and you cannot manually lock it in. I would like to find the guy who designed the 4x4 system and hit him in the face with a bat! It has stranded me more than once. If you need a vehicle that has reliable 4x4 capability 100% of the time DO NOT BUY A TUNDRA.

I will never buy another Tundra. I should have bought a Chevy.
1. It's almost like you're lying... Or just not using the law of averages correctly
2. None of the sensors cause the truck to shut down. All of the sensors in the truck, are either there to protect YOU, or protect the truck from YOU.
3. They call them Stealerships for a reason. However, at any brand dealer, I've had much success by being polite, informed, and confident in what I'm asking for.
4. If your timing chain is so loose that it is hitting the timing cover, you'd have no choice but to have it replaced. If the truck runs fine and you're just not used to the inherent noise a 32 Valve Dual Overhead Cam makes compared to a 2 Valve Pushrod engine, then that one's on you.
5. Is it the blower fan? I bet it's the blower fan. It's a couple bolts to have the whole motor out. Or if you have a vacuum, you can suck out the shit from the cabin filter door. Also, without even looking, I can tell your cabin filter needs replacing.
6. The oil comes out the same, it's the filter housing that is a little bit of a pain. There are MANY tips, tricks, and solutions posted multiple times all over this very forum. Sorry Toyota gave you a higher performing oil filter system than what's usually spec'd. Performance comes at a price.
7. It's so it can't be ****ed with. 99.9% of manufacturers have gone this way, and Toyota is far from the first.
8. I agree, what you're saying does sound absurd! There are reports of people running 35's on stock suspension with minimal trimming.
9. It's like you've never seen a vehicle newer than 1984. Every manufacturer of new vehicles in the last 10 years (Federally Mandated since 2012) has vehicles with all sorts of sensors for the Vehicle Stability Control. If those sensors don't like what they read, you don't get to do dumb shit with the vehicle.

Did you buy your Tundra sight unseen? I understand if you're frustrated with some of the nuances of the truck, but at least at face value, it doesn't seem like you're into understanding your problems might not all be from the truck itself...

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I remember when I got my 1st Tundra. The impression I got from these enthusiast boards was that, generally, people who bought tundras were pragmatic, level headed, logical people.
I have to say, the collective IQ of the Tundra boards has dropped and been watered down significantly in the last few years.
All I really see now is people who only want to know what the biggest tire is that they can fit, or people who wish the Tundra was an F150.
Or people who want their wheels to stick out a foot passed their wheel wells.
I hope Toyota does something innovative and above the bar with the next design. My concern is always that they will just turn it into another Ford or Chevy, to make it appealing to the type of people that would buy a Ford or Chevy. Which would make the tundra an overpriced POS and eliminate the option to buy something that sets itself apart.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I remember when I got my 1st Tundra. The impression I got from these enthusiast boards was that, generally, people who bought tundras were pragmatic, level headed, logical people.
I have to say, the collective IQ of the Tundra boards has dropped and been watered down significantly in the last few years.
All I really see now is people who only want to know what the biggest tire is that they can fit, or people who wish the Tundra was an F150.
Or people who want their wheels to stick out a foot passed their wheel wells.
I hope Toyota does something innovative and above the bar with the next design. My concern is always that they will just turn it into another Ford or Chevy, to make it appealing to the type of people that would buy a Ford or Chevy. Which would make the tundra an overpriced POS and eliminate the option to buy something that sets itself apart.
The other problem is these forums are now filled with people who wasted all their money on the depreciation of a brand new big three truck and all of a sudden want to switch to Toyota for the unmatched reliability and durability that is legendary. So they immediately go and trade their 12,000 mile, one-year-old truck that they bought brand new for a ten year old, clapped out, 150,000 mile Tundra that one of us ****ers has been hooning since day one, (because it's an even trade) and then they wonder why Toyota ****ed them so hard on their financial situation and they didn't get the reliability that we all preach Toyota has...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm getting a minivan next. The Chrysler Pacifica is really nice. I'll bet there's a lot of practical people on minivan forums.
Probably not a single thread on the biggest tire that will fit without rubbing.
Yeah, but there are ton's of threads about which Thule teardrop carrier provides the least wind resistance and will still allow them to fit in a 80" parking garage, and how to get 12 people "safely" in an 8 passenger van.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Removing the gen 2's tin splash shield to replace the oil filter must get old fast for those who drive much. (if one of the three grey plastic bumper screw clips falls out of the top of the pan, then pull the pan again to put the clip back in...actually, 4 zip ties clamp those three bumper tabs real nice.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
MPG for sure!! 12 MPG Highway and 10-11 around town. I tow a TT often and can get down to 6-7 MPG and as low as 3-5 MPG going through the mtns. I only have a 26 gallon tank so the range is terrible. Since the engine and drive train have remained mostly unchanged since 2007 I feel like Toyotas quick address for poor range was to increase the gas tank size in the newer models. I like the "if it isnt broken dont fix it" mindset on some things, but with advances in automotive technology I guess I expect more. I would probably never get a different 1/2 ton truck but upgrading to a diesel is something I've been considering.

·
Registered
318 Posts
MPG for sure!! 12 MPG Highway and 10-11 around town. I tow a TT often and can get down to 6-7 MPG and as low as 3-5 MPG going through the mtns. I only have a 26 gallon tank so the range is terrible. Since the engine and drive train have remained mostly unchanged since 2007 I feel like Toyotas quick address for poor range was to increase the gas tank size in the newer models. I like the "if it isnt broken dont fix it" mindset on some things, but with advances in automotive technology I guess I expect more. I would probably never get a different 1/2 ton truck but upgrading to a diesel is something I've been considering.

I don’t understand how everyone gets such bad mileage. I towed my fj60 on a trailer and my truck returned 12. I get 14ish in town and as high as 18-19 on long drives.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I don’t understand how everyone gets such bad mileage. I towed my fj60 on a trailer and my truck returned 12. I get 14ish in town and as high as 18-19 on long drives.
Same here.
I think some people are expecting a little too much from their half ton tundra and should realistically be using a diesel and/or 3/4 ton.
I can't see a 1500 Silverado or F-150 pulling off these feats and if they could, the fuel economy and suspension would fare worse than a Tundra.
So, not sure what "technological advances" these other half tons have that Toyota is so behind on. Should they invest millions in new tooling to build new components to arrive at essentially the same place?
Makes no sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mind of Toyota

Pumped EGR is pretty 1973, and was known to reduce mpg then. Toyota Yaris didn't need it in 2007. Installing the 4.6 V8's EGR system valving above both valve covers turns Toyota recommended 120k mile plug replacement into a very big job.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
That's fine. I'm not a mechanic and can't have a gear head debate that ends up in the weeds.
But I build and fix things for a living and have a few years of using tools under my belt. My question is, how reliable is Toyota's antiquated technology and how much easier is it to work on anyone else's current vehicle/engine?
That's obviously a rhetorical question, but I'd like to hear if I'm wrong.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
And for the record, when I bought my first pickup in 2011, I was hoping to buy an American made truck. I was surprised, after months of research, to find that the best truck for my money was a Toyota. And that is was as, if not more American than the others.
Not to mention all the bullshit political ties Ford and GM have that I didn't want to contribute to, or their horrible business models, horrible customer service and vehicles that consistently didn't live up to advertising.
I haven't seen any of that change.
The only company that made impressive changed to their half ton was RAM in 2013.
But their new prices since about 2014 don't equate to a pound for pound, $ to $ better truck than the Tundra. In my mind.
Still waiting. As soon as there's a better truck for the money, I'll trade in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, didn't mean to offend anyone. I was treating this forum as a "One thing I personally hate about my truck" not "one thing that Toyota needs to change ASAP or theyre going to lose customers and go out of business." I've had my truck for over 8 years and purchased it new. I take excellent care of my truck and service it with only the best. In the past 8+ years my lifestyle has changed and family has grown like most people. I have hobbies and chores I didnt have before. Yes I acknowledge 1/2 ton limits and would never think of getting a different 1/2 ton over what I have, but the hobbies and lifestyle I live now require things from my truck such as more/longer drives and more towing. This isnt going to change. As far as my comment of "advances in technology" I'm not even sure lol. I guess I made the comment under the "wishful" thinking that when it's time to upgrade based on my needs which may be soon, my favorite truck and brand will have something that fits my needs. Glad to see there are other Tundra advocates out there that are passionate about the reputation of these trucks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Removing the gen 2's tin splash shield to replace the oil filter must get old fast for those who drive much. (if one of the three grey plastic bumper screw clips falls out of the top of the pan, then pull the pan again to put the clip back in...actually, 4 zip ties clamp those three bumper tabs real nice.)
On my FIRST oil change i took the skid plate completely off , i cut a nice 7" circle out of the plate under the oil filter . filed smooth , 2 coats of rubberized undercoating on the whole sha bang . Reinstalled with heavily greased bolts , it may be quite awhile before it comes off .
Totally worth the 2 hours .

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Ok, didn't mean to offend anyone.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not offended by anything. And, although I'm sure it is read that way by many who read my responses in this thread, I'm not defending Toyota either.
I consistently hear people complaining about things they don't like about their truck. I consistently hear the specific comment that Toyota is "falling behind" other manufacturers in technological advances.
I'm simply asking what, specifically, are other manufacturers doing to their half tons that would reliably and consistently make the Tundra more powerful AND fuel efficient?
Should Toyota invest in and use the cylinder deactivation tech that GM owners say they hate, have issues with and not only doesn't net substantial fuel economy gains, but also caused trucks to spontaneously combust in 2014?
Ford's turbo charged V6 that, while shifting the peak TQ to a lower RPM range, again doesn't net a substantial fuel economy gain overall and has a laundry list of reliability issues?
I just want someone to tell me exactly what it is that Toyota is "behind" on and what amazing achievements other manufacturers have made, that cause them to say that.
Personally, I think Toyota would be foolish to invest in gimicky bullshit like that. They wouldn't recover from the failures like the big 3 do because they don't have the history or brand loyalty they have in the US.
There's no emotion involved. Just looking for facts and logic to back up what I consider to be mindless barking.
And it's not personal to you or any one poster.
It's basically 90% of everything posted in the entire thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not offended by anything. And, although I'm sure it is read that way by many who read my responses in this thread, I'm not defending Toyota either.
I consistently hear people complaining about things they don't like about their truck. I consistently hear the specific comment that Toyota is "falling behind" other manufacturers in technological advances.
I'm simply asking what, specifically, are other manufacturers doing to their half tons that would reliably and consistently make the Tundra more powerful AND fuel efficient?
Should Toyota invest in and use the cylinder deactivation tech that GM owners say they hate, have issues with and not only doesn't net substantial fuel economy gains, but also caused trucks to spontaneously combust in 2014?
Ford's turbo charged V6 that, while shifting the peak TQ to a lower RPM range, again doesn't net a substantial fuel economy gain overall and has a laundry list of reliability issues?
I just want someone to tell me exactly what it is that Toyota is "behind" on and what amazing achievements other manufacturers have made, that cause them to say that.
Personally, I think Toyota would be foolish to invest in gimicky bullshit like that. They wouldn't recover from the failures like the big 3 do because they don't have the history or brand loyalty they have in the US.
There's no emotion involved. Just looking for facts and logic to back up what I consider to be mindless barking.
And it's not personal to you or any one poster.
It's basically 90% of everything posted in the entire thread.
Well said, agree completely!

2581 - 2600 of 2638 Posts