Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2633 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why can't we have a heated steering wheel already almost made me get a different truck. When you have winter 8 months of year this is a factor along with heated wipers. With a name like Tundra you would think it would be built for north.

Other things to note as I've owned 3 Tundra's over years.
Crappy cup holders
Stiff seats - my 2011 had the best ones yet
No under seat storage in CM or rear storage at all.
Instant heated seats still can't figure why no one can't do this only place I've seen this is in my Escalase. Shouldn't have to wait 5 plus minutes for your seat to heat.
Low powered defrost fan and position of defrost vents take ages to get frost off the windshield.
Power adjustable pedals.

These are things that Lexus has had for ages the R&D is paid for use the damn tech already.

That's my rant didn't get much sleep but I still love my Tundra for its trouble free nature and its trade in value it holds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why can't we have a heated steering wheel already almost made me get a different truck. When you have winter 8 months of year this is a factor along with heated wipers. With a name like Tundra you would think it would be built for north.

Other things to note as I've owned 3 Tundra's over years.
Crappy cup holders
Stiff seats - my 2011 had the best ones yet
No under seat storage in CM or rear storage at all.
Instant heated seats still can't figure why no one can't do this only place I've seen this is in my Escalafe. Shouldn't have to wait 5 plus minutes for your seat to heat.
Low powered defrost fan and position of defrost vents take ages to get frost off the windshield.
Power adjustable pedals.

These are things that Lexus has had for ages the R&D is paid for use the damn tech already.

That's my rant didn't get much sleep but I still love my Tundra for its trouble free nature and its trade in value it holds.
Yeah, The defrost is inadequate in Tundras in some winter conditions. I drove in sleeting snow for a few hours in barely under freezing temps and the defrost could at best on high heat and fan only defrost the lower 2/3s of the windshield. I had to keep spraying windshield washer fluid to de-ice the upper part or I could not see. I sprayed over 1.5 gallons of washer fluid (stopped for a refill) just to keep the windshield barely clear to see through. I realize these are big windshields on these trucks, but you need "big" defrost capability then to safely operate the vehicle in snow/icy conditions.

Also, the resume on Cruise control has too much lag. It should accelerate when you hit resume, not drop out for a couple seconds and then start to resume speed. My other Toyota vehicles instantly start to pick up speed when you hit resume. Hopefully this is fixed in newer Tundras, not good in my 2010.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I've never had an issue with inadequate heat or glass defrosting in either the 2011 or 2015 Tundra. Once the truck is up to temp, it's actually too hot. I usually have to dial it back after 15-20 min of driving. Sometimes even crack a window.
And it's pretty cold and shitty here,.....every single year.
I can see if you practically live at the Arctic circle, but then any vehicle would need a little help. But I don't see how anyone else is having issues with heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Half of all previous vehicles I've owned had manual windows.

The auto feature (Up or down) is a pain in my ass when I just want to crack the window about an inch.
There are two "clicks." The first click rolls the window down only while you're holding the button down, allowing you to roll the window down any amount you want. The second click is the one that causes the window to go all the way down automatically.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My biggest peeve with my Tundra is it did not come with auto headlights. I never even checked. Figured all cars / trucks had them at this point.

Matt

·
Registered
171 Posts
Only had mine a few days, but so far my complaints are:

Seats seem a little hard. Hopefully they will break in with a few miles.

So far I have not figured out how to adjust the volume of the navigation lady, when I'm listening to the radio. She sometimes over powers the music which in the case of "Not sure where I'm going" would be ok b/c I would need to hear her, but I don't always require voice directions. However I don't really want to cut her off completely as at times it is nice to hear them. I know, I'm just being a little picky with this one.

Limited didn't come with step bars... Every other truck on the market comes with step bars now days. I'm 6'2" so I don't require them but my wife is only 5' and some step bars would help her out. Guess I'll have to put that on my aftermarket wish list.

Bed lights. Again, not a biggie, but several other competitors similar model trucks (Lariat, and GMC SLT) come with bed lights...

Chrome rings around the vents, and gear shift... blind the crap out of me when the sun hits them right... Gonna have to figure out
how to paint those or cover them or something.

Otherwise, I have no other complaints at this time. It's an awesome truck and I'm really loving it and enjoying driving it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My biggest peeve with my Tundra is it did not come with auto headlights. I never even checked. Figured all cars / trucks had them at this point.

Matt
Ha! This is actually one of my most favorite things about the Tundra. It's a vehicle that requires someone to think while driving.

It's dark - I need headlights...
It's dusk / dawn / overcast / cloudy / hazy / foggy / raining - I should turn on my headlights to be a safer, more courteous driver.

Not calling you out personally. It's just a pet peeve to see vehicles going down the road in low light conditions with their headlights going on/off every few minutes as the stupid light sensor thinks there's enough / not enough light outside.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bought a 10 year old Honda Civic to use as a commuter car to and from work recently. It has auto-up on the driver's side window. So nice! Wish the Tundra had it...

·
Registered
304 Posts

Have to push the unlock button 2 times to get the back doors to unlock. Previous Tundras all doors unlocked with one push of the button...

Maybe that can be changed by dealer?...

Good-luck...BCB

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ha! This is actually one of my most favorite things about the Tundra. It's a vehicle that requires someone to think while driving.

It's dark - I need headlights...

It's dusk / dawn / overcast / cloudy / hazy / foggy / raining - I should turn on my headlights to be a safer, more courteous driver.

Not calling you out personally. It's just a pet peeve to see vehicles going down the road in low light conditions with their headlights going on/off every few minutes as the stupid light sensor thinks there's enough / not enough light outside.

My 2018 limited has auto headlights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts

Have to push the unlock button 2 times to get the back doors to unlock. Previous Tundras all doors unlocked with one push of the button...

Maybe that can be changed by dealer?...

Good-luck...BCB

This is changeable through your radio. Un select the 2 click unlock box. I’ll see if I can get a picture

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is changeable through your radio. Un select the 2 click unlock box. I’ll see if I can get a picture

O.K. thanks for the tip. I will scroll through the menu etc. on the radio and see if I can find it...

Thanks...BCB

·
Registered
304 Posts

Matt
My 2018 SR5 TRD has the auto headlights. If what you mean is they turn on when it's getting dark and the automatically go from high beam to low beam when a car is coming at you...

I have yet to figure out all the settings on the headlight control lever. I just let it in the "AUTO" setting and hope for the best!!!...

Good-luck...BCB

·
Registered
615 Posts
O.K. thanks for the tip. I will scroll through the menu etc. on the radio and see if I can find it...

Thanks...BCB
Not sure what year yours is but mine in on the dash info display. Also, I do the 2-press to unlock since I'm mostly by myself going to work and for safety reasons. Just saying. But I did turn off the lights and beep combo for when I lock or unlock my truck. Beep is all I need to hear.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Traded a fantastic 2013 CM SR5 for a 2018 CM Limited TRD... The old truck had vastly better interior.

New truck has hard seats and it lost many storage areas the 2013 had; door panel cubby, upper glovebox, excellent center console tray/insert.. BUT.. most irritating is the new rear seat frame mess that seemingly blocks all access to the wasted space behind the seat where all kinds of things were stored in my 2013; tool bag, hitches, straps, etc..

Other irritants...

The back up cam was relocated from the upper/center rearview mirror to the nav screen, two problems with that..
- I already look at the rearview, so the cam display was excellent additional info in a good place.
- The nav screen gets washed out in the sunlight, its nowhere near as good as the mirror display clarity was, and it adds a fourth place to look at - L/R/Center mirror, plus now radio.

Virtually every interior trim bezel reflects sunlight into my eyes.. chrome rings around a/c vents, trim under nav screen, silver trim around shifter and the shifter itself, worst is the multi-faceted chrome trim around the cupholder.

Too many electronics, too many ding noises (but I'm old'ish and not a fan of that stuff in a truck..)

My 2018 is getting lower mpg than my 2013, and the 2018 engine ticks louder and makes more noise in general :/

Lastly, the leather steering wheel is super slick.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Traded a fantastic 2013 CM SR5 for a 2018 CM Limited TRD... The old truck had vastly better interior.

New truck has hard seats and it lost many storage areas the 2013 had; door panel cubby, upper glovebox, excellent center console tray/insert.. BUT.. most irritating is the new rear seat frame mess that seemingly blocks all access to the wasted space behind the seat where all kinds of things were stored in my 2013; tool bag, hitches, straps, etc..

Other irritants...

The back up cam was relocated from the upper/center rearview mirror to the nav screen, two problems with that..
- I already look at the rearview, so the cam display was excellent additional info in a good place.
- The nav screen gets washed out in the sunlight, its nowhere near as good as the mirror display clarity was, and it adds a fourth place to look at - L/R/Center mirror, plus now radio.

Virtually every interior trim bezel reflects sunlight into my eyes.. chrome rings around a/c vents, trim under nav screen, silver trim around shifter and the shifter itself, worst is the multi-faceted chrome trim around the cupholder.

Too many electronics, too many ding noises (but I'm old'ish and not a fan of that stuff in a truck..)

My 2018 is getting lower mpg than my 2013, and the 2018 engine ticks louder and makes more noise in general :/

Lastly, the leather steering wheel is super slick.
This is exactly why I am sticking with my 2012 with 80K on it. You even pointed out some additional things I wasn't aware of.

2241 - 2260 of 2633 Posts