Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you were able to bare through my old thread about my first attempt at an aftermarket alarm.
That ridiculous thread is here http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...ues/636409-2014-tundra-aftermarket-alarm.html

After almost a couple years, I gave up on the CrimeStoper SP-502. The features worked great. The issues was, the interior lights would randomly fade on and off. It would come and go. The interior light ghost would appear, and turn off the front DLR's too. I finally got fed up and unplugged it.
Note that over many months, I've taken the truck back to the installer at least five times. They've tried to make good on it, but they've never seen the problem happen. They also haven't been able to fix the issue. We've already eliminated the truck as the problem (door pins, loose wire, fuse, etc).

The problem is either with the CrimtStopper or with the install. I'm starting to suspect the install, but, I'm not willing to pay another shop to reinstall the same hardware. I'm not willing to pay for a different brand to get installed at the same shop either. That ship has sailed. I hate to write the shop off. They seem like good people, but, I'm going to take the loss and start over.

I went to another installer, highly recommended. They mainly deal with Viper's. I know for every good Internet review, there's another saying it's the worst brand.
I think I'm going to roll the dice on this system: https://www.viper.com/car/securityr...r-oled-2-way-security-and-remote-start-system
Or this one https://www.viper.com/car/securityr...er-lcd-2-way-security-and-remote-start-system

I have a 2014 Tundra double cab long bed (SR), 5.7. I've read dozens of opinions on aftermarket alarms here. Viper has some haters, but for the most part seem popular and reliable.

I'll post my experiences here soon. I have an appointment with the new to me shop tomorrow.

I am just wondering your opinions on the alarms I'm considering.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Both are essentially the same thing I believe, one has a nicer remote. Didn't look at the specs.

Most DEI systems are great, however it all comes down to the installer.

Reactions: Idiot406

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are essentially the same thing I believe, one has a nicer remote. Didn't look at the specs.

Most DEI systems are great, however it all comes down to the installer.
I think you're right, the remote is the biggest difference in the two. I'll look at em in person tomorrow and see which one feels the best.

The new (to me) installer said something similar to you - 50% of it is the hardware, 50% is the installer. I'm having them essentially return the truck to stock, ditch the CrimeStopper, and do a fresh install of the Viper. No reusing the old alarm wires, etc. Now wouldn't it be a kick in the head if I get the Viper, and the ghost lights return. Kidding, kidding, sort of.

Thanks for the reply man!

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I think you're right, the remote is the biggest difference in the two. I'll look at em in person tomorrow and see which one feels the best.

The new (to me) installer said something similar to you - 50% of it is the hardware, 50% is the installer. I'm having them essentially return the truck to stock, ditch the CrimeStopper, and do a fresh install of the Viper. No reusing the old alarm wires, etc. Now wouldn't it be a kick in the head if I get the Viper, and the ghost lights return. Kidding, kidding, sort of.

Thanks for the reply man!
No prob.

More like 80% installer.

I only trust two shops. Big stuff, only one. They installed my alarm/rs in my 2003 gm, then took it off and reinstalled it on my 2007 fj. Other installer I do trust, but their shop is tiny. My cm barely fit. It is a hole in the wall size building made for profit.

The 2nd installer did my rs on my 2017. No issues. The first shop actually owns the distributor for the rs I went with, but they wanted an extra $150 because it lists that it is an integral alarm... **** that. It is the same T harness. No2 shop quoted me $120, charged me $80... I know them, and bs with them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No prob.

More like 80% installer.

I only trust two shops. Big stuff, only one. They installed my alarm/rs in my 2003 gm, then took it off and reinstalled it on my 2007 fj. Other installer I do trust, but their shop is tiny. My cm barely fit. It is a hole in the wall size building made for profit.

The 2nd installer did my rs on my 2017. No issues. The first shop actually owns the distributor for the rs I went with, but they wanted an extra $150 because it lists that it is an integral alarm... **** that. It is the same T harness. No2 shop quoted me $120, charged me $80... I know them, and bs with them.
I really don't fully trust any shop, but, I know if I did the install myself that would be bad news.

The shop that did the install of the CrimeStopper, I really get on with the owner and techs. Really nice shop that they recently moved in to from their old hole in the wall. I know if I keep going back, they'll keep trying to find the issue. But it's been so long, I can't do it anymore. My gut tells me maybe the install is to blame, and they just can't figure my truck out. I'm sure the tech has done other Tundra's, but for whatever reason, he can't get mine right.

The new (to me) shop has been around twenty years, and has like six garage bays and a good showroom. Really nice shop. I'm hoping this place does it right. The Toyota dealer where I bought my truck sends people to them all the time for tinting, stereo's, alarms, etc. I took the day off of work so I can putz around while they do the work. I'm sure it won't be cheap! Getting this new system is basically a big experiment, but keyless entry and an alarm is so nice to have. Remote start - I only use that a few times a year, but still, nice to have.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I had a Viper on my 1994 ext cab lowered step side Silverado.
No remote start, but windows up and down with the remote.
Windows up when I locked the doors.

Never had a problem with the alarm.
The Chevy truck, yes a few problems with it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got the Viper 5706v with Directed DB3 installed today. I didn't see the point in the OLED model. It's the same alarm with a color display remote. Not worth an extra $100.00 for me.

It took about four hours to remove the CrimeStopper, install the Viper, and program it. The install looks clean and tucked away. You have to go on a search behind the driver dash to get to it. Day one, it's working perfectly. I like the thin, light LCD remote. Simple operation and two way feedback.

With any luck, everything will work long term. If my expensive alarm gamble pays off, I'll be updating this thread in a year "IT STILL WORKS. NO LIGHT GHOSTS!"

EDIT:

I should mention, I asked the tech what he thought of the previous install job. He said all the connections were great, soldered and everything. He didn't like how the extra wiring was bundled into a sort of rats nest. He also didn't like how the alarm and bypass were mounted. They were basically zip tied to random wire harnesses. Basically he didn't like the install job cosmetically. He suspects faulty hardware to blame for the light ghosts, but obviously we can't prove anything.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For real, this should be the last post from me about alarms (I hope).

I got the Viper installed on Jan. 22nd. It's been working great. No bugs or flaky behavior like before. Zero false alarms. I did increase the shock sensor, but you really have to be trying to get into the truck to set off a full alarm. Range is said to be a mile. In industrial areas or buildings, I'd say it would be half or less. Not a big deal, it's the nature of RF. The LCD remote is really thin and compact. Battery life seems good. So far it was worth the money. Wish I did it like this from the start.

The only flaw I can find is the temperature sensor. By pressing a couple buttons, you can get a live temp reading in the truck. It's a good idea in theory, but it's far from accurate. It's off by 15-30 degrees F. It isn't an issue at all. It's really the only flaw I can find. It's not an issue at all. After a couple years with the flaky CrimeStopper, I'll take it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.