Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just traded her FJ for a Tundra we pull a camper about 3,700 lbs we had a break controller and weight distribution installed on it. The Tundra has the towing package I see it says brake controller prewired. Do I still have buy and install a break controller? The people at the deal told me no. Also do I still need the weight distribution kit? Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
The truck is prewired for the controller. It does not have a controller. You will have to install one. Should have a wiring harness in the glove box that connects to the controller and plugs in to the truck. The plug is on the drivers side kick panel just under the dash. Take the kick panel off and you will find it.

I would say yes on the WD hitch. Camper is light but it will tow better with it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My opinion, trailer has brakes, install a brake controller and use them. It's a safety device and will save wear on your truck brakes - in addition to helping keep the trailer where it belongs - behind you. WD Hitch? Your call, but if you have the set up, use it. Trailer will tow better with it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Depends upon where you mount the controller. Some threads indicated the pre-made harness is too short; some people found that the generic cable that comes with the controller, if spliced to the Toyota harness, is the proper length. I read the reviews, and skipped the pre-made harness, as I put mine in the ashtray and I wasn't sure. I didn't have much slack left in the cable.

Controllers are cheap, though, and pretty easy to install. The hardest part is figuring out where to put it; and mounting it securely. They are not the sort of thing that should be left loose. Finally, the P3 I bought recommended to not use the factory GND wire but to find a different GND point. May or may not be important, not sure why, but when I got in there the GND wire certainly is small on the Toyota cable. I used a different GND point.

Dealerships often haven't a clue what they are selling; IIRC the saleswoman kept telling me that mine was rated to tow 10k (that's true for the 5.7 but not the 4.6). Some people will say anything to make a sale...

OP, IIRC the owner's manual states that trailer brakes must be used for trailers over 1,000lb. Unless if you convert to surge brakes you are stuck with buying a controller. I believe some states require brakes for anything over 2k also; YMMV.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
If you go with the P3 (IMO you should) then the corresponding Tekonosha harness (purchased separately) will reach to this area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my Tundra to the dealership to get the EBC installed asking specifically if this was an "in dash" install based on your picture. The service dept. coordinator told me yes. Well, it wasn't. Now I've got a P2 screwed under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I'm 6'5" and that puts is about 1/8" from my knee. What did you have to do to get yours mounted in that space? I've got that same spot available and was thinking that that is what I was getting.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I took my Tundra to the dealership to get the EBC installed asking specifically if this was an "in dash" install based on your picture. The service dept. coordinator told me yes. Well, it wasn't. Now I've got a P2 screwed under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I'm 6'5" and that puts is about 1/8" from my knee. What did you have to do to get yours mounted in that space? I've got that same spot available and was thinking that that is what I was getting.
Just pop the little panel out then remove the black little holder, route the wire to the back off the hole and remount the panel with the controller in it.

Sent from my damn phone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts