Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LRO 3/1 kit on order, but I am really thinking about halting the order and going with OME Fronts. My question is regarding the rear shocks, if I only order the fronts, to level the truck can I get by with just a block or a set of CB shackles, or do I need to swap the rear shocks out as well? And if so, what size? +3 on the CB's, or a 1" or 1.5" block in the rear?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Definitely the OME kit is a better option. Differential drop would be a good idea even for 612 coils though.

Reactions: mts6175

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get away with stock rear shocks up to ~2" lift in the rear, and a little higher if you set it up right (couple washers). Unless you offroad your truck. Even if you offroad a little, they should be fine with 1" or a little more lift in back.

You should be good with either shackle, the +3 will keep you with a little rake with OME up front, the +2 will keep you level, or up to 1" rake maybe.

For what you paid for the LRO (ripped off), you are more than halfway towards a suspension upgrade. I'd go with the OME up front. The back, blocks will be cheaper, but coaches shackles will ride better and are worth the cost. His +2" shackles give 1" lift, his +3" shackles give 1.5-1.75" lift. Depending on which OME setup you are after, you are looking at 3-3.5" lift up front with 'em.
That's really what got me thinking about it. I'm 2/3 the way there, I might as well do it right rather than the spacers. I don't know if I'd call it ripped off, they make a good kit, but the OME's or even 5100's are a better option than the spacers. I don't run Baja, but I hunt & fish year round like a madman and do go off road. Had a spacer kit on my Tahoe and never had an issue, but it was always in the back of my mind given the shorter travel issues that can occur.

Thanks for the info. If I do go with the OME's, I'll probably go with the 613's (I have a 5.7 Crewmax 4x4) and a +2 shackle after talking to Coach about it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
613 will give you more than 4" lift without heavy bumper and winch. Like Sam and other have said 612 or 614 and go with David +2" shackles. While you are digging around with the rear leaf springs i highly recommend david's Poly bushing that will replace the rubber bushing on your stock leaf springs. You will notice a big different for just $58 more.

Reactions: Coachbuilder1

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I have a LRO 3/1 kit on order, but I am really thinking about halting the order and going with OME Fronts. My question is regarding the rear shocks, if I only order the fronts, to level the truck can I get by with just a block or a set of CB shackles, or do I need to swap the rear shocks out as well? And if so, what size? +3 on the CB's, or a 1" or 1.5" block in the rear?
My advice would b wait a little and do your research BEFORE ordering! !! Bdt & sngo know what they r talking about so the can point u in the right direction,but u need to b set on exactly what u want. In my case I did a impulse buy before knowing exactly what I want, so I got a 3" billet spacer for $57 then I took off the spacer n put in bilstein 5100's to not put so much pressure on my suspension. I didn't like the ride with the 5100's so I took those out n got some kings 2.5 coilovers with a resi. I don't want much lift but I have the option to go either way, I luv the ride so I'm putting kings in the rear also. Anyways just remember if u don't feel 1000% confident about your purchase than wait til u do n have all other options looked at n ruled out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
You don't want to change your stuff all the time. It will cost some $$$$$ for sure. I did the same starting with spacers, 5100 then finally OME.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My advice would b wait a little and do your research BEFORE ordering! !! Bdt & sngo know what they r talking about so the can point u in the right direction,but u need to b set on exactly what u want. In my case I did a impulse buy before knowing exactly what I want, so I got a 3" billet spacer for $57 then I took off the spacer n put in bilstein 5100's to not put so much pressure on my suspension. I didn't like the ride with the 5100's so I took those out n got some kings 2.5 coilovers with a resi. I don't want much lift but I have the option to go either way, I luv the ride so I'm putting kings in the rear also. Anyways just remember if u don't feel 1000% confident about your purchase than wait til u do n have all other options looked at n ruled out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've run spacer kits on my last two vehicles and had zero issues, including offroad. What goes on is staying on unless it's to move to a bigger lift or coilovers, and I doubt I will do that. I was 110% confident in the LRO kit and still am. It wasn't an impulse buy, and it hadn't shipped yet so I knew I would get a full refund back. I just decided to change to the OME because I have decided my budget is a little bigger than I originally planned and after seeing a friends suburban they are turning into a SEMA truck :eek:.

You guys saying you can get a complete spacer kit for $100 please post a link. I've looked at LRO, ToyTec, Fat Bob's, ReadyLift, CCM etc. A complete BILLET Aluminum (not steel) 3 inch (not 2.5 inch) that includes the front spacers, rear blocks, and differential drop is ~$300 from every manufacturer I've looked at outside of the ebay kit. Sure, you can get the fronts for ~$100, but you still have to get the rear blocks and differential drop which puts you right back up at the ~$300 mark.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scambay you mean? It's the Supreme Suspensions kit and it's like $160. And I did look at those and know there are a few running here. I'm just not sold on a company that hasn't set up a shop outside of ebay to order from.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm not going to do your research for you, but I know for a fact that you can get a 3/1 for under $200, with diff drop if needed, or a 3" front only for under 100 (ebay, aluminum).

1" blocks for the rear are a dime a dozen, you can even get them free from here sometimes. I gave my aluminum 1" blocks to someone for free, I even paid to ship them, cuz I liked the dude.

A front spacer is nothing fancy....to get 3" lift, all you need is a spacer that is 1.75" thick, period. Doesnt matter who manufactures it, or how much overhead and advertising costs they have associated with each kit they sell.

What's a diff drop...a couple spacers and longer bolts? Pffftt.... $10 from lowes.
Time to break out some popcorn lol

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts

Thanks for the info. If I do go with the OME's, I'll probably go with the 613's (I have a 5.7 Crewmax 4x4) and a +2 shackle after talking to Coach about it.
The OME coils and struts are a great setup, I always recommend matching the rear shocks with the front struts to keep the valving balanced. Sorry I don't remember if I posted or we PM'd. The 613's are the longest OME coil available for the Tundra and would not recommend them with my +2" shackles. As BDT mentioned the +2"s provide 1"-1.25" of total lift and will not be enough to balance the truck if using with the 613's.

The amount of lift the OME kits provide is more than any spacer lift will provide. I recommend my +3" shackles with any of the OME coil/strut combo's.

612 3"-3.25" of lift (no additional weight)
614 3.5"-3.75" of lift (no additional weight)
613 4"+ of lift ( no additional weight) ** Approx 3.5" with 200 lbs. of additional weight up front **

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The OME coils and struts are a great setup, I always recommend matching the rear shocks with the front struts to keep the valving balanced. Sorry I don't remember if I posted or we PM'd. The 613's are the longest OME coil available for the Tundra and would not recommend them with my +2" shackles. As BDT mentioned the +2"s provide 1"-1.25" of total lift and will not be enough to balance the truck if using with the 613's.

The amount of lift the OME kits provide is more than any spacer lift will provide. I recommend my +3" shackles with any of the OME coil/strut combo's.

612 3"-3.25" of lift (no additional weight)
614 3.5"-3.75" of lift (no additional weight)
613 4"+ of lift ( no additional weight) ** Approx 3.5" with 200 lbs. of additional weight up front **
Thanks for clarifying. Meant to type +3 on the 2nd post, but had the 612 & 613's backwards. We had discussed through PM.

Reactions: Coachbuilder1

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Meant to type +3 on the 2nd post, but had the 612 & 613's backwards. We had discussed through PM.
Wanted to be sure you didn't order the 613's :)

The 612's are perfect for a touch over 3" without the worry of any alignment trouble. Great choice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts