Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been lurking and researching a lift for my 08 4x2 DC TRD for the last few months. I had decided to pull the trigger on the OME 612 untill I ran across this thread.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-suspension-talk/121133-ome-612-front-kit-4-lift-4.html

I'm a bit hesitant to do the OME lift now. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any resolution with the extra lift he encountered or was it in fact an issue that the OME lift is not well suited to a 4x2? I have no real "need" for a serious offroad suspension as the most I do is run the gravel trails, and logging road at my hunting area. I was only going with the OME as it may be less stress on the suspension as compared to a spacer lift, but after the issues he had in that thread I am seriously considering just going with a LRO 3/1 lift.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cricket.....cricket............... no one got anything to weigh on this. Waiting for an e-mail from ARB with their view

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got an e-mail from ARB so here is their stance.

Hi Kevin-

I remember the truck and the issue. Obviously the suspension will bolt on as the poster had it on his truck, however the reason he got so much lift is because the 2wd truck sits lower from the factory and is lighter in the front end and you are using components that were designed only around the heavier and taller 4x4 trucks. So while the components do physically fit in the 2wd truck, you end up with the issues this gentleman had and either need extra parts or have an undriveable truck. We try to be clear about our "OME 4x4 Suspensions" being designed on 4x4 trucks, but that doesn't always translate to the end user. We don't list any 2wd applications in our application guide. In reading the thread link it appears that more than one person has been able to make the parts work for them in a 2wd truck, but we can't advise on how as they were never tested on or designed with the 2wd truck in mind. Thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,

ARB Technical Support Team

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got an e-mail from toytec and they agree with ARB. The UCA's would be an option, but to be honest dropping $1k in a lift alone to get 3" on a 2wd doesn't pass my sense test. And they still say the would worry about Ball joints and tie rod ends with 4" lift on stock gear. Back to the drawing board then for this project, but the bright side is being on tundra talk saved me from a potential $699 mistake.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got an e-mail from toytec and they agree with ARB. The UCA's would be an option, but to be honest dropping $1k in a lift alone to get 3" on a 2wd doesn't pass my sense test. And they still say the would worry about Ball joints and tie rod ends with 4" lift on stock gear. Back to the drawing board then for this project, but the bright side is being on tundra talk saved me from a potential $699 mistake.
I have also been reading a lot in the suspension section since it's gonna be my next upgrade. Mine is 2wd also and from what I gathered , ome 612 is decent lift on 4x2. There are quite a few doing spindles to get 3.5" up front and blocks or shackles in the back .

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have also been reading a lot in the suspension section since it's gonna be my next upgrade. Mine is 2wd also and from what I gathered , ome 612 is decent lift on 4x2. There are quite a few doing spindles to get 3.5" up front and blocks or shackles in the back .

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've seen a few others post pics of 2WD 5.7's with the 612's and they didn't have the issue mentioned in the OP

if this is really an issue I'm just going to go with 5100's

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
so about 3-3.5" lift in the front on the 614's for a 2wd 5.7... the 612's should sit a little bit lower after settling, I'm guessing the post referenced by the OP might've gotten 614's or 613's on accident instead of the 612's

·
Registered
530 Posts
so about 3-3.5" lift in the front on the 614's for a 2wd 5.7... the 612's should sit a little bit lower after settling, I'm guessing the post referenced by the OP might've gotten 614's or 613's on accident instead of the 612's
Nope, I wanted 3.5" so I went with the 614's. I ended up with 4" on drivers side, and about 4 5/8 passenger side because of the "toyota lean"This is after 1500 miles of settling. She was an inch taller on day one!

I am getting uca's ASAP, as well as grinding out a small piece from the lower control arm. this is because my springs bang the stock uca's, and the bottom shock mount bangs the lca when my suspension has to drop rapidly(like over a speed bump etc). Doing this stuff should gain me plenty of travel for my needs.

I think you would be right where you want to be with the 612 setup. I wouldn't go with the dakars though, as your back end would be up there. I'd do coach's +2 shackles or airbags if you tow. Your uca's should work with the 612's unless your truck is different than mine.

Good luck, research twice, pay once! Lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts