Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After 11 long years and over 150,000 miles later I'm in the market for a new to me truck. Currently driving an 03 dodge ram 1500 4x4 reg cab with the 4.7 and now that its turned over 200k miles I just cant trust her any more. I've replaced several parts already but it just seems like its full of ticking time bombs waiting to leave me stranded ( already has at least 4 times). Not to mention the dash is cracked all to pieces, radio half works, and the bedsides are slowly being consumed by rust. All of that to say I'm now considering a tundra. With all the issues I'm having now reliability is key and from what I've been reading tundra is king in that regard. I'm looking for a double cab, 5.7, 4x4, with a tow package. Other than that I'm not really picky when it comes to features and creature comforts as my dodge is manual locks, windows, and tranny with vinyl floors. I found and test drove an 08 Grade with 60k miles that was local and really liked it but unfortunately upon further inspection it had the being of bed rot. So I continued the search and I've found 2 that fit the bill and wanted some opinions.

1. 2007 DC 4x4 Limited Tundra with 36k miles. Truck looks fully loaded and has a color matched camper top.

2. 2010 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD off road with 85k miles. Its a private owner sale. Claims oil changed every 5k with synthetic and garage kept. Its also Flex Fuel which I've noticed some don't seem to like.

Both trucks look very clean and are priced about the same. The 07 is located in WV which makes me leery of bed rot. The 10 is a Texas truck so rust shouldn't be an issue. I'm the kind of guy who keeps trucks for the long haul so the low mileage 07 is very appealing but some people I've talked to seem to think I would be better off with the 10 because its newer even if it has more miles. Hence my question, which would you guys prefer and why? Older with low miles or newer with more?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I would say the '07, if it doesn't turn out to have rust issues. I put 147k miles on my '07 over 12 years and had very few problems. It did eventually get to the point where rust was becoming an issue, but I'm in the Lake Ontario snow belt which is the road salt capital of the northeast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say the '07, if it doesn't turn out to have rust issues. I put 147k miles on my '07 over 12 years and had very few problems. It did eventually get to the point where rust was becoming an issue, but I'm in the Lake Ontario snow belt which is the road salt capital of the northeast.
I'm looking to take my next truck to at least 250k or more so I figure the less miles I start with the more I can put on it. That also would mean more of the miles would be under my own maintenance so I have more control over the longevity in that regard. The only thing that would concern me with age is the interior and all the interior accessories the limited tundra came with. I fell like those might fall victim to age vs miles more so than motors and trannys. As for rust I do live in central KY where it isn't as much of an issue. If the truck has rust prone areas (think dodge bedside and chevy cab corners) ky will find them but it usually takes a lot of neglect and abuse to get rust in places that don't typically rust.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Due diligence is on you... check, inspect, and pay a pro to fully inspect any vehicle that you are truly interested in BEFORE buying it.

I purchased my 5.7 2007 4 years ago when it had 270,000 miles... I brought all of the maintenance up to speed, I replaced some parts due to normal wear & tear, and I had to replace the fuel pump, and clock spring. It rolled past 300,000 in July, and it's been nothing but reliable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The mileage would be less of a concern for me than the possibility of rust. Not only the bed and other sheet metal, but more importantly, the frame and rear differential cover. Inspect it carefully for rust. If both trucks are in equally good shape then it really depends on whether you prefer the features of the limited or the off road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello
My thought after owning Toyota pickups from 1982 Milage not as big as rust. Check bed especially if plastic Bedliner. I have fought rust issues way more than motor issues. My last 2006 served well but rust due to plastic bed liner My last Toyota truck will be the 2018 I have now with a 5.7 I’m not interested in turbos and the such. In fact I’d lean toward a Chevrolet and am biting my tongue as I write

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mechanically, these two trucks are essentially identical. On the 07, make sure they have updated the air injection pumps and valves. They were a common problem in 07 and expensive to repair. You can bypass the system with a kit for about $100 but if you have Toyota do it, the repairs were thousands. There was a extended warranty for the issue, but with the low mileage on that Truck, the system may have never failed and could be expensive.

I prefer the leather seats so I would go for the limited. The cloth seats in the Tundra hold up well but dog hair sticks to the fabric like a used sucker and the seats stain super easy. The leather will look better and last longer.

·
Registered
2012 CM SR5 5.7L 4WD
19 Posts
Hey all,

After 11 long years and over 150,000 miles later I'm in the market for a new to me truck. Currently driving an 03 dodge ram 1500 4x4 reg cab with the 4.7 and now that its turned over 200k miles I just cant trust her any more. I've replaced several parts already but it just seems like its full of ticking time bombs waiting to leave me stranded ( already has at least 4 times). Not to mention the dash is cracked all to pieces, radio half works, and the bedsides are slowly being consumed by rust. All of that to say I'm now considering a tundra. With all the issues I'm having now reliability is key and from what I've been reading tundra is king in that regard. I'm looking for a double cab, 5.7, 4x4, with a tow package. Other than that I'm not really picky when it comes to features and creature comforts as my dodge is manual locks, windows, and tranny with vinyl floors. I found and test drove an 08 Grade with 60k miles that was local and really liked it but unfortunately upon further inspection it had the being of bed rot. So I continued the search and I've found 2 that fit the bill and wanted some opinions.

1. 2007 DC 4x4 Limited Tundra with 36k miles. Truck looks fully loaded and has a color matched camper top.

2. 2010 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD off road with 85k miles. Its a private owner sale. Claims oil changed every 5k with synthetic and garage kept. Its also Flex Fuel which I've noticed some don't seem to like.

Both trucks look very clean and are priced about the same. The 07 is located in WV which makes me leery of bed rot. The 10 is a Texas truck so rust shouldn't be an issue. I'm the kind of guy who keeps trucks for the long haul so the low mileage 07 is very appealing but some people I've talked to seem to think I would be better off with the 10 because its newer even if it has more miles. Hence my question, which would you guys prefer and why? Older with low miles or newer with more?
this one I feel is a toss up. I would prefer the 10 with the TRD package personally, however a matching CAP is awesome if it suits your needs and those are pricey from what I’ve seen. I don’t currently have one but if the truck came with one I would be pumped. Don’t worry about mileage I bought mine in June of 2020 with 142k on the speedo. Just rolled 155 and the truck has been great. I replaced all the brakes (maintenance) items and the only thing I just had to replace that I either didn’t catch or it literally just went bad and noticed when I was doing the brakes all around was the driver side rear axle seal, a $10 Toyota part. Been a great trick so far. I was looking for a one owner Toyota when I was in the market because one owner vehicles tend to be cared for better with a better maintenance record. The only thing I didn’t know originally is that the truck was originally purchased in Quebec which I knew that but my canuk at work said they use so much salt in Quebec. However I did inspect the frame and rocker panels and everything was in good shape. The previous owner was using the black fluid under coating on it so everything had been in good shape. I continue to undercoat every year and will do so since I live in NE Ohio….good luck and happy choosing

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought an 07 limited DC 11 years ago. It has just over 308,000 miles. I put a SC on about 80,000 miles ago. It still runs and drives like new, and is fun to drive! I’ve added a lot to it and I plan on keeping it until something will TOTALLY drive itself, ( that might still be a while).
I did the kit to bypass the secondary air injection system a couple years ago myself. It was about $750, and worth it.
I’ve had the water pump and radiator replaced, and I’ve replaced the battery twice and the tires five times. I had slotted rotors put on a few years ago.
Shortly after I got it I had a remote start and a 7” diagonal screen Kenwood stereo put in. The large display works much better for the back up camera!
I use the remote start every morning and every time I am headed to my truck. I can’t brag enough about the reliability of the Tundra!!! I’ve been to Colorado 4 times and the truck is my daily driver and I’d drive it again any day there or farther without the slightest worry!!!!
I live in Vancouver, WA and don’t have any rust.
The gas mileage is 10 and 13 or 14, but I drive like my Grandpas not my Grandma!!! 😉
I would like the crew Max if I had the choice all over again, even though I don’t have children.
My vote is for the older tundra with leather seats!

·
Registered
2012 CM SR5 5.7L 4WD
19 Posts
I bought an 07 limited DC 11 years ago. It has just over 308,000 miles. I put a SC on about 80,000 miles ago. It still runs and drives like new, and is fun to drive! I’ve added a lot to it and I plan on keeping it until something will TOTALLY drive itself, ( that might still be a while).
I did the kit to bypass the secondary air injection system a couple years ago myself. It was about $750, and worth it.
I’ve had the water pump and radiator replaced, and I’ve replaced the battery twice and the tires five times. I had slotted rotors put on a few years ago.
Shortly after I got it I had a remote start and a 7” diagonal screen Kenwood stereo put in. The large display works much better for the back up camera!
I use the remote start every morning and every time I am headed to my truck. I can’t brag enough about the reliability of the Tundra!!! I’ve been to Colorado 4 times and the truck is my daily driver and I’d drive it again any day there or farther without the slightest worry!!!!
I live in Vancouver, WA and don’t have any rust.
The gas mileage is 10 and 13 or 14, but I drive like my Grandpas not my Grandma!!! 😉
I would like the crew Max if I had the choice all over again, even though I don’t have children.
My vote is for the older tundra with leather seats!
DDball I didn’t know kenwood made a diagonal screen. I would love a back up camera since I know how to drive and always back in to my parking spot upon arrival and adding a camera site makes it nice. I’ve often thought about adding a magnusswn supercharger but wasn’t sure if it was too late in the game to add one but seeing you did it at over 250k makes feel less crazy 😝

·
Registered
10 Posts
DDball I didn’t know kenwood made a diagonal screen. I would love a back up camera since I know how to drive and always back in to my parking spot upon arrival and adding a camera site makes it nice. I’ve often thought about adding a magnusswn supercharger but wasn’t sure if it was too late in the game to add one but seeing you did it at over 250k makes feel less crazy 😝
Gadget Map Gps navigation device Audio equipment Vehicle
Gadget Map Gps navigation device Audio equipment Vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So here's an update..

I found out the 07 was owned by a older couple in WV and had sit for sometime. In this time the underside had become very rusted (not pictured on dealer site). So much so that a hole rusted in the diff cover. I was sent pictures and the frame is very rough.

I'm currently working out a deal on the 2010 Texas truck pending inspection. From what Ive read 85k isn't a lot for a well maintained tundra which this one seems to be. I plan to immediately remove the bed liner and have linex installed. Ill also get a quote to linex the underside to avoid rust issues in the future. Depending on cost ill do this or at least undercoat it. He's also installed custom seat covers over clean seats so I'm not to worried about the cloth seat and dog hair.

Overall I'm not disappointed that I'm missing out on the limited feature. They are nice but to me they are just more things to fix down the road.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Texas truck owner is dragging his feet and strangely putting up resistance to an inspection.
In the meantime I've found a 2012 sr5 package with 85k miles that is only 2.5 hours from me vs 12. However there is one interesting hang up with it. The truck has a hard tonneau cover that the previous owner locked before trading it in to the dealer and then forgot the keys. I'm going Saturday morning to look at it but I'm concerned I will have to make a deal with out seeing the bed if I really want the truck. I was wondering if anyone knows if the bed rot issue extended to the 2012 models? I've been looking around but cant seem to find the information. This truck has been owned around western KY its whole life which isn't a high salt area but the 08 was also a southern ky truck and it had the bed rust issue.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I don't think bed rot is any different on the newer models. The best test is to crawl under the truck and look at the bottom of the bed just behind the cab. That's where it is normally the worst. While you're under there take a look at the spare tire and bracket also.

Reactions: coop113

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got the inspection done on the truck in Texas. They really only had 3 concerns with it.

1. There was some mud and dirt up inside the frame and on top of the fuel tank. They had the question of on the report of if it had been flooded but there was nothing else to indicate that is the case. Most like just there from having been off road a time or two.
2. Owner is currently using straight water in the wiper fluid tank. Has some algae growth and could freeze up in winter if not changed for actual wiper fluid. Easy fix.
3. There is an audible clicking noise when changing from floor to vent on the ac. It works but could be a sign of a failing actuator or breaking door.

Of those 3 the only one that is truly concerning is the last. Sounds like 1 could be fixed with a good cleaning and 2 is just a drain and fill. I have this problem in my current truck and it would require the entire dash assembly to be removed which makes for a fairly costly fix from what I understand. Has anyone had this issue in their tundra and had it repaired?

Overall they said its really clean and dry as can be around the entire drive line. No cam tower leak or signs of bed rot. No trouble code current or past.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the only issue your worried about on a 11 year old Tundra is that the HVAC system clicks going from floor to vent, I say buy it. The worse that could happen is that it stops going from floor to vent, but your still going to have heating and cooling. I think you are going to love the truck and I doubt you will ever have any real problems. I am on my 4th Tundra, and I have yet to ever have one single mechanical failure while logging nearly 500,000 miles in total.

If you are super concerned, let me know and the next time I get one of those extended warranty calls on my phone, I'll make sure I get the info and post it for you! Ha. Just Kidding. Enjoy your new truck. It sounds like a winner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the only issue your worried about on a 11 year old Tundra is that the HVAC system clicks going from floor to vent, I say buy it. The worse that could happen is that it stops going from floor to vent, but your still going to have heating and cooling. I think you are going to love the truck and I doubt you will ever have any real problems. I am on my 4th Tundra, and I have yet to ever have one single mechanical failure while logging nearly 500,000 miles in total.

If you are super concerned, let me know and the next time I get one of those extended warranty calls on my phone, I'll make sure I get the info and post it for you! Ha. Just Kidding. Enjoy your new truck. It sounds like a winner.
Good to know! Bought my flight last night. Ill post up some pics when I get it back home!

I don't know about those extended warranty people. They use to call my dad about his 07 ram 2500 and when he told them he was interested and that his truck had 400k miles on it they would hang up on him 😂😂.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts