Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen a thread with reviews on the OME 612, 613, or 614.
Who has put some road/trail time on their set up and can post up some reviews?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
What the hell, I will play...

1.)When I only had OME 612's I would say they rode just a little stiffer than the stock TRD coils.

2.) After adding 1/2" of shim to the top of each OME 612 the ride stiffened up pretty good but still not unbearable by any means. I will say that my wife does not want to drive the Tundra anymore after installing the shims. She says it is a combination of the Tundra being too big and it now being too stiff so my setup could be too stiff for others. Unfortunately for her, I drink like a fish and she does not so she ends up driving the Tundra quite a bit anyway.

3.) On "normal" roads she still drives like I am on glass but when I hit ruts in the pavement, I know I hit ruts in the pavement. The truck does not get airborne or anything but it is obvious then just how stiff the suspension is since you can feel the bump in the road.

4.) I think OME excels on trails. I am talking about slow moving, obstacle filled trails. If you like to hit trails that you can zip down at high speeds then OME is probably not the best option. I have no doubt they will handle those types of trails without issue but I think some of the more expensive coilovers will probably provide a smoother ride in that environment.

5.) I have taken her down several more drive-able forest service roads and I also hit a very rugged trail in Reddington Pass. The Reddington Pass trail was 100% 4WD needed along with extra ground clearance needed. Over that type of terrain the coils performed exactly as I would expect. They had great flex and because of the stiffness I think they really helped eliminate wheel hop/loss of traction on several obstacle.

Ironically, it was on the Reddington Pass trail that I also discovered a difference between lifting your truck via coilovers vs. using strut extensions/knuckles. My buddy took his 2008 Tundra on the trail with me, he has the BDS 4.5" lift and his tires are actually slightly taller as well so he should sit at least 1" higher than I do, however, there was a large rock in the middle of the trail that could not be avoided. I drove right over it without issue, however, his truck hit the rock on both passes. When we put the trucks nose to nose later it became apparent that cutting the cross member actually decreases front clearance by at least an inch...probably not a big deal but interesting to note.

All in all I am very happy with OME. They are budget friendly, they appear to be indestructible and ride quality is stiff but still good.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a 2wd so I will not have the crossmember issue. I spoke to BDS today and they assure me that I will not have to do any cutting or welding for their 4.5" kit. I want a solid ride with little to no servicing needed. ( I have too many other things going on in my life to have to contend with a new truck down due to stupid suspension issues) I want to put a 35" tire under the truck with out ANY issues.
I am trying to explore the OME stuff because it seems to be a good product for a good price. I will have bumpers, maybe 22" wheels but probably 20" wheels on the truck as well.....
The truck will see light duty off-road at best as I don't have much time to play in the woods...

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^^I second all of this.
I got the 612's and could not be happier. I take the truck on lots of 4x4 trails (well until the fires closed the forests down), the good stuff with lots of rocks and ruts and fallen trees. Some of them are about 18"-24" steps/drops and the OME handles them easily. I do take them nice and slow and don't fly like its stolen, but with these trails, there is no way that would be possible.

One the pavement, there is a tremendous difference from the cushy suspension that was stock (not TRD). It is definately a little stiffer, but not bouncy or too firm. Speed bumps feel great, and when you forget to slow down for them, it passes over with no issues.

The lift was a good size and exactly what I wanted. I'm not afraid to hit some good stuff like I would be with a spacer, and its not too high to make it feel top heavy on the harder trails.

The price was right in my budget of <$1000 and still a couple hundy left over.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did you that have this already order just the 612 coils or did you get shocks as well?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I ordered the complete kit from toytec. Springs, struts, diff drop, skid plate drop, and hardware. I don't think the ome springs will fit on original struts, but then again i don't know a lot of stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will 2nd what the others have stated. My 612s are firmer than stock, but good to great off road. While I have not driven a truck with LT/coilovers to compare, but the OME kit is absolutely a huge step above spacer lifts.
I spend half my miles on dirt roads, and the lift is impressive. Many friends have commented how smooth the ride is on dirt, even for being a DC longbed.
If you don't want to step up to coilovers, its a great option you should be happy with.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had my OME 612 strut/coil with the N193 extended rear shocks installed alongside the +2" Coachbuilder shackles for about a month now and I am quite pleased with it. Initially the setup made my truck near perfect level but about two or three weeks later, the front have settled down slightly so I have about a 1/8" to 1/4" of rake. The front does indeed feel slightly firmer as others have stated, but overall it rides about the same as it did before with the TRD Bilstein's.

Reactions: muzik

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had my OME 612 strut/coil with the N193 extended rear shocks installed alongside the +2" Coachbuilder shackles for about a month now and I am quite pleased with it. Initially the setup made my truck near perfect level but about two or three weeks later, the front have settled down slightly so I have about a 1/8" to 1/4" of rake. The front does indeed feel slightly firmer as others have stated, but overall it rides about the same as it did before with the TRD Bilstein's.
Same set up and I love it!! Truck had the slightest of rakes. Just put some 295/60/20 trail grapplers!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
I haven't been disappointed with my 612 setup. I have done some trails and it handled them fine.

The ride is a little stiffer on pavement, but I prefer it over stock. I thought the stock set up was a little bouncy for me.

Attachments

Reactions: muzik and 2010

·
Registered
172 Posts
How is ome compared with bilstein 5100?
The Bilstein 5100 is basically a drop in replacement for the TRD shocks with adjustable height, the OME's are much more beefier and it is nitro compared to gas.

Reactions: Darkside1

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Bilstein 5100 is basically a drop in replacement for the TRD shocks with adjustable height, the OME's are much more beefier and it is nitro compared to gas.
Well said. :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is ome 612 ride stiffer than 5100?
How much lift is 612?
You're looking any where from 2.5 - 3 inches of lift from a 612. If you go 613 or 614, you will need some new UCAs. Whatever you choose, make sure you get the front differential drop kit.

I haven't had any experience with the 5100's

Reactions: muzik

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Has anyone installed the full rear spring pack (not just an aal)? Worth the money?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts