Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased 13 CM for my daily driver and I want to lift it! I have about 7inches of clearance before I can't park in the garage so no higher then that. What advice can you give to get 6 to 7 inches between lift and tires but giving me the best option for ride...remember its my daily driver. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
2wd or 4wd? If it's 2wd I'd say CST spindles (+3.5) and coilovers (could add another 2.5) but with that much lift you'll need to replace the control arms too. What's your budget?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry 4wd. I dont want to break the bank but no set budget.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Zone 5" lift for about $1300 shipped. That will leave you room for 35's and be around your goal of 6-7" overall height difference. It will require aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the Zone 5 lift or similar a better ride then OME 612 or 614?

·
Registered
701 Posts
No idea what OME rides like personally, but it gets good reviews. The Zone 5" is a drop bracket suspension lift and rides about the same as factory. If you would be happy with 3-4" lift I would go with the OME because it is supposed to be a suspension upgrade as well as lift.

Also, the Zone 5" requires cutting the frame. The OME does not. There are mixed feelings about cutting the frame. I was ok with it, but if you're not it may be a good reason to go with OME.

With the Zone 5" you get more lift, factory CV angles and control arm angles. There is always a give and take with lifts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BDS vs Zone 5? OME 612 vs 614...i am sooo confused!! I figure the tires will give me around 2" if I go with 35", correct?

Is the ride better with Zone 5 or OME vs a 3" level kit?

The threads on the site have me on information overload! Soo many good discussions!

·
Registered
701 Posts
BDS vs Zone 5? OME 612 vs 614...i am sooo confused!! I figure the tires will give me around 2" if I go with 35", correct?

Is the ride better with Zone 5 or OME vs a 3" level kit?

The threads on the site have me on information overload! Soo many good discussions!
Lots of questions there-

Essentially
Zone = budget BDS

Not sure anything about OME but it is supposed to be better than stock.

Stock tires are about 32" so 35" tires is about 3" oversize. Divide that by 2 and you should gain about 1.5" ride height from tires.

Zone 5 and OME should be better than 3/1. My Zone lift has preload shims make it stiffer and a 7" lift. My last Tundra had a 3/1 and I would say the ride difference with the shims I have now is comparable to the 3/1 - so with just the Zone 5 it should be better than a 3/1.

I went with the Zone lift because I was going for more than the basic 5" lift. I recommend the Zone 5" plus shims and shackles all the time for a 7" lift. Honestly if I wanted the amount of lift you're looking for I would be interested in the OME stuff. With the Zone 5" there is always room to grow a little if you ever decide to though.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I think you and your wallet would be happy with OME 614's ($465) combined with some 35" tires, adjustable UCA's (Light Racing $400 @ FatBobs) and a hypertech ($180 @ Amazon) speedometer recalbrator. You should get 4" from the OME and another 2-2.5" from the tires. With the UCA's you will have no alignment issues and with the OME you will have some very capable and reliable suspension. The 614's WILL ride rougher than the TRD suspension but I don't think you will find it overly harsh. Now that I have the shims in my 612's I think my ride is probably comparable to the 614's and I have no complaints. I would also recommend some +3 shackles from CoachBuilder1 (David) for around $200 to lift your rear end about 1.6". Everything listed can be installed yourself in one day (with enough beer) and the price point is excellent at under $1250 for front and rear suspension plus whatever you spend on tires.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is the Zone 5 lift or similar a better ride then OME 612 or 614?
Any day of the week!
Thing of an OME lift on your stock components as walking around on the tips of your toes all day. (Or in Heels :lol5:)

The Zone 5 will maintain the suspension travel, at the stock position. Giving you a much better ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish there was some way to test drive suspensions..!:confused:

I am a little hesitant to cut anything on a brand new truck so maybe that makes the choice for me.... But if the ride is that significantly better then??

Besides price, anything different from a Zone 5 lift to BDS Lift?

Thanks for all the help...I think!:lol5:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wish there was some way to test drive suspensions..!:confused:

I am a little hesitant to cut anything on a brand new truck so maybe that makes the choice for me.... But if the ride is that significantly better then??

Besides price, anything different from a Zone 5 lift to BDS Lift?

Thanks for all the help...I think!:lol5:
When trying to make the same decision as you I read and read and read.. And from everything I read it seemed that the Zone kit was almost a clone of the BDS lift without the skid plate and fancy BDS name

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't know much about the other lifts, but I can tell you I love my OME set up. No complaints whats so ever. If you have a 5.7 engine you will want to go with the 614, if you have a 4.6 go with the 612.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Another poster mentioned they would be a rougher ride then a suspension lift...confusing!

With it being my daily driver I want to make the right decision on the ride..!

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you don't want to cut? Then I would recommend the Procomp 4" lift. It's a bit more then the Zone 5 lift in cost but you don't have to cut your cross member.

The reason why a 3" lift makes your suspension stiffer, is because of the preloading of the suspension and the angle change of the LCA, and UCA.

The Drop bracket lifts, will basically maintain the stock geometry of the suspension and maintain the stock ride quality.

But with all suspension changes you will alter some ride characteristics. Due to larger tires, wheels, and center of gravity changes. With the added height, a stiffer suspension can be a plus when it comes to handling, it will reduce body roll.
But firm suspension vs. the stiffer suspension you'd have from the angle changes of the LCA, & UCA, wit ha 3" lift is a bit different.
The harsh ride you'd feel with a 3" lift would be the result of the longer coils, and the reduced down travel due to the taller orientation of the stock suspension components.

A firmer ride that you can get with a Drop Bracket lift, with firmer coils will reduce body roll but will still retain the entire suspension range due to the fact that it's neutral orientation will still be at mid point of the suspension travel range.

(The 3" lift's neutral orientation of the suspension will be close to it's maximum down travel of the articulation range.) This is the result of a higher stance on the stock suspension range of articulation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts