Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Creating this thread to keep a detailed log of the build on my truck. Bought a used 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 double cab with TRD package back in June 2010. It was all stock with the exception of a brush guard and running boards. However, even though it's a SR5, it has all features of the Limited, minus a moonroof. The backup camera is one of the best accessories! Anyway, I look forward to sharing this build with whomever may read the thread, and I welcome your feedback and/or suggestions.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Looks good man! Any future plans for the truck?

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Josh 5.7! Yes, I am working a lot on the truck. Not looking to make it a beast like yours; this is a daily driver after all, but there will be plenty of mods in the very near future. Stay tuned! :)

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Nice man! Will definitely stay tuned

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mod #1

Okay, here was the first mod I put on the truck, if it can really be called a mod. This is the drop-in K&N air filter, part #33-2387, purchased from AutoAnything.com. Installation was as simple as replacing the stock filter. At the same time, I knocked out the carbon filter that rested in the top part of the air box. Installation took place in September 2010. Since then, I have really been wanting to upgrade to a full CAI system. Note: I did not notice any kind of real power gains, engine sound difference, or MPG improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mod #2

Second mod in February 2011 was tires. I spent a lot of time searching for the best tires before settling on a set of four Falkens from Discount Tire. They have a good blend of being street biased, but at the same time are off road capable. If you'd like to know which location I went to just shoot me a PM. The Falkens have really proven themselves on dry road, in the rain and snow, and in some light off-roading excursions.

On the left - old BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, stock size 275/65-18.

On the right - new Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, size 265/70-18.

While many folks go with a wider tire, I opted for height instead and gained .5" extra.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On the side...

One strange thing happened about a year ago: the air pumps and valve set had to be replaced. Apparently I was the victim of a problem that other '08 Tundra owners have suffered from: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...nance/83696-tundra-air-pump-problem-help.html

Fortunately, and to their credit, the dealer did work with me, and I only paid $350 out of pocket to resolve the problem. But I am disappointed that this is not an isolated incident, and that such a terrible issue like this exists in such a fine truck.

Shortly after everything was resolved, I switched over to full synthetic oil, 0W-20. Currently I get the oil changed every 10k miles. Anyone else doing this, or do you still follow the 5k regimen, even with synthetic?

Lastly, just as a cosmetic changeover: low and high beam bulbs were replaced with Sylvania Silverstars. Same for the front and rear turn signal bulbs; didn't like the orange look. The turn signal bulbs, however, are not completely clear. They have a nearly clear look, but with a mottled coloring to them. I'll post a picture very soon so y'all can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Want to change the fog light bulbs, but haven't yet looked in to how to access the bulb housings. Hope it's not too difficult.

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
Nice looking Tundra, nice additions so far, keep um coming

Reactions: MrKwn

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Big T, means a lot coming from you. I don't think my truck will ever get close to being like yours. I'm not really looking to get it lifted, or fitted with some mudders. Maybe a 2-1 leveling kit, and some 20" rims with AT tires, but that's about it. Currently I'm working on performance options, along with getting the bed in shape with a spray in bedliner and tonneau cover. Should be getting all that done real soon. Will keep the thread updated often.

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
Look me up and I'll complete a BHLM for you that will make that front end beautiful~It will match that factory grille nicely. Joe

·
Registered
146 Posts
great looking truck , i dig on the color ...

BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, stock size 275/65-18. <----- u still have?

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Clear turn signal bulbs

As promised earlier, here are some pics of what the Sylvania Silverstar clear turn signal bulbs look like in the housing. Front turn signal bulb is a 4157 and rear is 3157, though I believe the packaging had them marked as dual size. Did a little looking around tonight and it seems that some sizes of these bulbs are now discontinued, and getting hard to find. If you're really interested Amazon.com has them available.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sunday afternoon at the track

This afternoon I took my other girl down to the track and ran the heck outta her as much as I dared. She gave me 4 runs and then I left because there were too many people and it was taking a very long time to get in a run. But at least I got my numbers and I'm happy with the performance. Here's what a 5,735 lb. truck runs like:

Run #1 - 1/4 mile time in 15.4 @ 91 mph

Run #2 - 15.4 @ 91 mph

Run #3 - 15.3 @ 90 mph (nannies OFF)

Run #4 - 15.3 @ 90 mph (nannies OFF)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
1 - 20 of 97 Posts