Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I want to do. Plane and simple.

Truck - 2011 DC4x4 Rock Warrior
Tires - 35x12.50r20" rims

What lift????

I use the truck to go back and forth to work, and off-road once or twice a month, if that.

I want the ride to be as smooth as possible.

The local shop pushes the 7" BDS kit, hands down. And says 35" tires is the best way to go.

However, all the research I have done, shows the lift is pretty tall for 35s, and 37s would be best.

The guy at the shop says the bumper would have to be moved, or fabbed, in order to run 37s.

Regardless of the fact that I don't want to go with 37s, I just saw this picture of a pro comp stage II 6" lift, with 37s, and the guy did nothing but the lift kit to fit.

The Ultimate Motocross Accessory | Tundra Headquarters

So,

should I run the 4.5" BDS lift?
- I like the BDS warranty
- I saw some photos and like the way it looks with 35s

or

a "zone" 5" lift?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I accidentally posted without finishing

so,

The zone 5" lift....

I have never heard of "Zone" but someone on here says they are owned by BDS, so I will have to call and see if they have the same warranty and reputation.

However,

I am not ruling out the 6" lift just yet.

I would do the Fabtech 6" performance lift with the coilover, just to get the better ride. I just don't want to end up with a HUGE gap, with 35s

I wish i could do the 4.5" BDS, and swap to coilovers for the better ride..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I accidentally posted without finishing

so,

The zone 5" lift....

I have never heard of "Zone" but someone on here says they are owned by BDS, so I will have to call and see if they have the same warranty and reputation.

However,

I am not ruling out the 6" lift just yet.

I would do the Fabtech 6" performance lift with the coilover, just to get the better ride. I just don't want to end up with a HUGE gap, with 35s

I wish i could do the 4.5" BDS, and swap to coilovers for the better ride..

I was on the fence with BDS 4.5 or a camburg coil over (3.5) you when u say a little off road, are you talking about mudding or baja style?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just messing around in the mud, a little, and crawling through some trails around here. Nothing baja style.

My 06' Tacoma 4x4 TRD sport had a simple 3" rev tek, with the block in the rear, and I ran the pro comp xterrain 33" tires.. I think they were 305/65r17s

They rubbed in reverse pretty bad. But I didn't mind too much.. I liked how they stuck out a little bit. I really liked that the tires filled the wheel wells up better than I am seeing with the huge lifts and 35s.

I found a pic on one of these forums that a guy had on his black Tundra, and I am pretty sure it was a 4.5 or 5" with 35x12.50s and it was parked next to a patrol car. I really liked how it looked, but cannot find it anymore.

Like I said before, I would like to have a decent ride. If I need to, I will spend some money and figure out a coil option.

·
Registered
74 Posts
just messing around in the mud, a little, and crawling through some trails around here. Nothing baja style.

My 06' Tacoma 4x4 TRD sport had a simple 3" rev tek, with the block in the rear, and I ran the pro comp xterrain 33" tires.. I think they were 305/65r17s

They rubbed in reverse pretty bad. But I didn't mind too much.. I liked how they stuck out a little bit. I really liked that the tires filled the wheel wells up better than I am seeing with the huge lifts and 35s.

I found a pic on one of these forums that a guy had on his black Tundra, and I am pretty sure it was a 4.5 or 5" with 35x12.50s and it was parked next to a patrol car. I really liked how it looked, but cannot find it anymore.

Like I said before, I would like to have a decent ride. If I need to, I will spend some money and figure out a coil option.

I do know that you can run a 35 12.5 on a 3/1 with some minor trimming of the skid plate and removing your mudflaps. So running a 4.5 shouldn't be an issue because there is not much difference between the 2. Its really going to depend on your offset of the wheel more than anything else.. I think on other suspension lifts, that are 4.5, they say the same thing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So???:confused:

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Should I just go with the BDS 4.5"
If the only thing your concerned about is the 35's fitting then you need to pick the correct wheels and do the trimming. If you want a smoother ride, get a coil over with the right wheels and do the trimming...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should ask if anyone has been able to get one of the 4.5" BDS, or Zone 5" lifts, and added coilovers after, or maybe along with the lift.

From what I am seeing, the BDS 4.5" is pretty much the same thing as the 7", at least as far as parts. And the shop told me I can add coilovers to the 7", so is it possible with the 4.5" ??????????????

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is what I want to do. Plane and simple.

Truck - 2011 DC4x4 Rock Warrior
Tires - 35x12.50r20" rims

What lift????

I use the truck to go back and forth to work, and off-road once or twice a month, if that.

I want the ride to be as smooth as possible.

The local shop pushes the 7" BDS kit, hands down. And says 35" tires is the best way to go.

However, all the research I have done, shows the lift is pretty tall for 35s, and 37s would be best.
I disagree. I have a BDS 7" on 35's and I think it looks perfect. I have pics up in another thread. Search my name and check them out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It rides well. The tires hum a little but its not bad at all. The 7" kit really isn't that high, figure most lift kits start at 6" anyway....

Go big or go home....Just my $0.02

·
Registered
53 Posts
yes it does

·
Registered
287 Posts
I guess I should ask if anyone has been able to get one of the 4.5" BDS, or Zone 5" lifts, and added coilovers after, or maybe along with the lift.

From what I am seeing, the BDS 4.5" is pretty much the same thing as the 7", at least as far as parts. And the shop told me I can add coilovers to the 7", so is it possible with the 4.5" ??????????????
Yes, you can run the Icon coilovers with the BDS or Zone, you will get just more lift. I actually just got the 6-7" Icon coilovers and will be putting them on on the couple of weeks. Also, the 4.5" BDS is the same as the 7" except for the taller shock extensions, pre-load spacer and taller rear block. I am running 35"'s and I only rub the front fender liner in reverse backing out of my drive way. I plan taking a heat gun to them soon, I already moved them forward 1".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.