Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Truck: 2015 Tundra SR5, 5.7L

Since new, I have always had the dealer do the oil changes. Every change has been full synthetic 0w20

I was going to do it myself this weekend for the first time, but the cost for me to do it myself is actually MORE expensive than going to the dealer. Crazy world. They must get a killer deal on oil... Anyways...

Guy I spoke with asked if I wanted full synthetic or regular oil, but then said you should NOT go from using Synthetic back to regular oil. Once you go Synthetic, you should never go back. I have NEVER heard this before.

SO, what is everyone running? Synthetic? Blend? Regular?

Any issues going back to regular oil?

(I have to say, that if Toyota is calling for regular oil, I am a little pissed I have been paying for synthetic for the past 6 years!)

Edit: I just checked the owners manual. Says nothing about Synthetic oil being required. So whoever helped me back in 2015 when I had my first oil change F'd up, lied, scammed, or whatever. They are long gone now, as is management, so nobody to really complain to. Oh well. Live and learn.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
My 2017 calls for 0-20 oil. I could not find a non synthetic, or synthetic "Blend" in 0-20 in 2017. There are blends out now, and even a conventional that I found.

However, with that said, I use Amsoil. I also used Amsoil in my 2010. I run once a year or 10k miles, whichever comes first. I also use Amsoil's 15k mile filter.

I used the free changes, then started changing my own oil. I have two vehicles, and still run the Amsoil. Cost is about $85 to do a change. I changed it in November, and I put a whopping 4k miles on it in a year, give or take. To me the cost of oil is minor in comparison to the price of a vehicle. And I am a mechanic. I can't push the necessity of good oil to my customers in their O.P.E (outdoor power equipment), then be a hypocrite and use cheap oil in my own stuff.

As far as switching, YOU CAN SWITCH BACK AND FORTH between synthetic and non synthetic, blend, whatever you want. It is not like the engine knows if the oil is made in a lab, or is decomposing dinosaurs. However, synthetic does offer higher levels of protection versus conventional oil, and extended life.

Pretty sure my 2017 manual stated synthetic, however it is outside in the glove box, so I may be wrong.

If I remember correctly, my 2010 called for 5k changes, a year or few later they changed to synthetic and 10k intervals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2016 tundra sr5, the dealer did the oil changes with TOYOTA CARE, using full synthetic every 10k miles.
After that i did the changes myself. Kept using full synthetic, buying cases at costco (case of 6 qts) when on sale for $30ish
Up till now (66K miles) ive been doing oil changes at 10K miles. Might start changing at 7K miles. Ill see how dirty the oil is at next change

·
Registered
31 Posts
All 0w-20 is synthetic. Doesn't matter who makes it. Viscosity is to low for a regular oil to be able to meet that spec.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
When I purchased my 2010 the dealer told me that they would need to check by the VIN # to see if my truck took 5w-30 or 0w-20 as there was a change at that time. The earlier made VIN # 2010s called for 5w-30 and later made VIN # called for the 0w-20. The dealer could not get an answer from Toyota when mine needed an oil change. So the dealer said as we are in a cold climate if it was all right with me they would put the 0w-20 in. Shortly after the oil change Toyota did contact the dealer and told them that my VIN # needed 5w-30 but that my VIN was close to the numbers of when the change occurred. I have always continued to run 0w-20. Back in 2010 locating 0w-20 was not easy and it was over $10.00 a quart when you could find it at Walmart, parts stores did not stock 0w-20 in my area. Just the cost of oil and a filter was $100.00, the price of 0w-20 has come down quite a bit over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm with Powertechn2! I used the Toyota Care free oil changes and then went to Amsoil 0W-20 and Amsoil filter. Filter is good for 15,000 miles. I've been using Amsoil products for many years, never any issues. Excellent synthetic and wear protection!

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Tundra SR5
2 Posts
All 0w-20 is synthetic. Doesn't matter who makes it. Viscosity is to low for a regular oil to be able to meet that spec.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Why go out & buy the most expensive oil? Walmart & Costco oil works fine in most vehicles. They pass the same tests that the expensive oils pass. You will find they are made by major oil manufactures. You are paying extra for a big brand name.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I purchased my 2010 the dealer told me that they would need to check by the VIN # to see if my truck took 5w-30 or 0w-20 as there was a change at that time. The earlier made VIN # 2010s called for 5w-30 and later made VIN # called for the 0w-20. The dealer could not get an answer from Toyota when mine needed an oil change. So the dealer said as we are in a cold climate if it was all right with me they would put the 0w-20 in. Shortly after the oil change Toyota did contact the dealer and told them that my VIN # needed 5w-30 but that my VIN was close to the numbers of when the change occurred. I have always continued to run 0w-20. Back in 2010 locating 0w-20 was not easy and it was over $10.00 a quart when you could find it at Walmart, parts stores did not stock 0w-20 in my area. Just the cost of oil and a filter was $100.00, the price of 0w-20 has come down quite a bit over time.
Usually it tells you right on the oil filler cap whether it is a 0w-20 engine. At least my 2011 does.

I take mine to the dealer for $97 for full synthetic every 10k. I could change it myself for about $60-$65, but for $32 it's not worth my time unless I am doing something else where I already have the skid plate removed.

I wouldn't not use conventional oil anyway. Can you save a few bucks? Yeah, but the higher mileage between changes allows you to recoup that cost. And I think the benefits of full syntheic far outweigh any other consideration.

With these trucks, you can save more by taking it easy on the gas pedal, but that is another discussion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
2010 Tundra here. Started using the 0w-20 a few years ago. The reason I switched was that the engine was knocking while warming up. Something with the automatic timing adjustments, if I remember correctly. Read on this forum to use the Toyota oil. Solved the problem. I can usually purchase the oil from the dealership for $4-$5 per quart. Parts.camelbacktoyota.com.
Also, I change my oil every 5k miles. Tried it at 10k but the oil became really black around 8-9k miles. Sent it in to Blackstone for an oil analysis to find out I could run it near 12k miles and still be okay.
I live in Phoenix (hot and dusty desert), tow a travel trailer about half the time and run the hell out of it towing in mountainous terrain. And, some off-roading. Change the oil about twice a year. So a few extra $$$ is worth it for me how I use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Since new, I have always had the dealer do the oil changes. Every change has been full synthetic 0w20

I was going to do it myself this weekend for the first time, but the cost for me to do it myself is actually MORE expensive than going to the dealer. Crazy world. They must get a killer deal on oil... Anyways...

Guy I spoke with asked if I wanted full synthetic or regular oil, but then said you should NOT go from using Synthetic back to regular oil. Once you go Synthetic, you should never go back. I have NEVER heard this before.

(I have to say, that if Toyota is calling for regular oil, I am a little pissed I have been paying for synthetic for the past 6 years!)

Edit: I just checked the owners manual. Says nothing about Synthetic oil being required. So whoever helped me back in 2015 when I had my first oil change F'd up, lied, scammed, or whatever. They are long gone now, as is management, so nobody to really complain to. Oh well. Live and learn.
I use synthetic, always. I bought my 08 Tundra Crew Max used in 2013. The oil cap says to use 0-20 wt. and that is synthetic....

·
Registered
11 Posts

I have a 2007 5.7 Tundra with 240,000 miles oil change every 5,000 miles Castrol GTX 5-30 wt.
I have never used/added any oil between changes.
I have been using Castrol GTX since my first Toyota in 1977 I have never had to add oil between changes and never a failure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic and change it every 10,000 miles. I find the standard Mobil 1 will increase your gas mileage by about 1 MPG. When I use the 0-20W Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy I get 2 mpg better.

I did try the extended 15,000 mile oil and ran it 15,000 miles. My mileage dropped back to the same as the standard Toyota oil. And I did try the 20,000 mile oil but could just not convince myself to go the full 20,000, so I changed it at 15,000.

In the end, I went back to Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy and have used that ever since.

I have run (4) Tundra's to around 120,000 miles doing this and never had any issues or problems. None of my trucks have ever used any oil and I can make it the full 10,000 miles without adding any oil. At 10,000, I am usually a half quart to 1 quart low. When I ran it to 15,000, I did add a quart at 10,000.

TIP: You can buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $22. You need just under 8 quarts to do an oil change, so with a $8 filter, you can change the oil for $52 and about every third oil change it only costs you about $30. That's a pretty good deal. I also removed my skid plate and sold it on ebay for about $150 which makes the oil change a lot faster (my truck has never been off the road in it's entire life).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts