Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question, After I changed my oil I noticed that when I punch the gas the oil pressure rises to about 60% and falls to about 45% at idle. At regular speed it's at 50% Is this normal? I never noticed the fluctuation before but I don't think I was watching the gauge before.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
mine does the same thing bro. No worries.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Toyota truck engine oil pressures always seem to cause people to worry. Our T-100 indicated very low pressure at hot idle. This was perfectly normal. We sold it with over 250,000 miles and still running with the same pressure. The pressure comes right up with the rpms.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Toyota truck engine oil pressures always seem to cause people to worry. Our T-100 indicated very low pressure at hot idle. This was perfectly normal. We sold it with over 250,000 miles and still running with the same pressure. The pressure comes right up with the rpms.
If the gauge is reading correctly:

Very low pressure at idle is a sign of failing oil pump or potential bearing issues...it means the pump is worn or there is more space between the bearing surfaces than when the truck was new.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If the gauge is reading correctly:

Very low pressure at idle is a sign of failing oil pump or potential bearing issues...it means the pump is worn or there is more space between the bearing surfaces than when the truck was new.
If the oil system and bearings are designed for low pressure, high volume, then that is what the engineers intended. Nothing is failing as long as the pressure is within factory specs. Unfortunately, GM is the only mfr that actually puts numbers on the gauge face. The T-100 did not vary over all that mileage, it was what appeared to be low all the time. The gauge markings clearly had a "safe" range noted. The Tundra gauge even lacks that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts