Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2011 5.7 L Tundra. I can use either 5w-20 or 0w-20. I have been putting synthetic 0w-20 even if it came with conventional 5w-20.

I am a bit confused regarding using synthetic oil. I have been changing oil at either 10,000 miles or 1 year interval. Since I was using synthetic.

However, according to this: What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

Even if you use synthetic oil, you still have to change at 5000 miles or every 6 months interval. Is this correct? Have I been doing my oil change intervals all wrong?

If it is correct, then it is a waste to use synthetic oil as it is more expensive at every 6 months interval.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I change mine at 5,000 intervals but switched to the Mobil 1 extended performance so gonna give it 10,000 miles before I change it. Guess you can change the oil out as often as you'd like as long as you've got the money to fork out though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your driving habits like stop and go, towing, dusty roads, etc can all play factors on oil change intervals. If the oil on your dipstick is starting to darken, it’s time for a change, especially if you’re using conventional oil.

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
I change mine once a year using Amsoil oil and filter on my 2017. I also don't drive the truck much, will be 5 years old in Dec, and have about 24k miles on it. So less than 6k a year average.

Reactions: WVI
1 - 11 of 11 Posts