Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change the oil in my 17 5.6L CrewMax. The last 2 time I changed the oil I mad one hell of a mess. How do you keep the oil from hitting the oil pan and spraying out all over the place? I've been changing my own oil for 30 years now and have never seen oil come out of there like it does with the tundra. Is there a different pan for collecting oil I should use? Is there some sort of shield for the passenger wheel? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
You and me both. I hold the pan up high to the drain plug to try and minimize splashing. So much oil comes out so quickly my pan cant even drain into the sump as it fills.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've come back to changing my own after many years of taking the vehicles to oil change places. Been doing my own again for about seven years; first on my 2000 Tundra with the 4.7L, and now on my 2015 with the 5.7L.

I agree that the design of the Tundras makes it a messy job. I never was able to get the oil filter off on my 2000 without getting old oil puddling on top of the skid plate and then dripping onto the garage floor/driveway. On my 2015, I had to adjust how I was doing things to make it reasonably efficient and clean.

First, I have a large sheet metal pan I slide under the truck to catch errant drips that don't end up the drain pan.

Second, I use a Fumoto valve on the drain plug, and slip a plastic drain tube over the end of the valve hook to direct the old oil into a drain pan. The Fumoto makes it easy to reach under the truck and begin the draining process. It's a bit slower than pulling the regular plug and letting it flow, but it also doesn't splash all over the place.

Third, I use a MotivX filter drain tool to drain oil from the filter housing before removal.

·
Registered
737 Posts
yeah Fomoto valves are a lil bit slower BUT SOOO NICE .

I do not know what size fits the Tundra ( yet) but have ran them on several diesel pickups and ohh yeah they are worth it . .

Perhaps ? The splashing is due to the low viscosity magic oil that is spec'ed ? Dunno , yes it does come shooting out but i have not had a real probl with making a mess so far

·
Registered
48 Posts
Getting ready to change the oil in my 17 5.6L CrewMax. The last 2 time I changed the oil I mad one hell of a mess. How do you keep the oil from hitting the oil pan and spraying out all over the place? I've been changing my own oil for 30 years now and have never seen oil come out of there like it does with the tundra. Is there a different pan for collecting oil I should use? Is there some sort of shield for the passenger wheel? Any help would be appreciated.
Try using a wide mouth funnel. I use this exact one in the picture and it saves the day. Had the same problem with oil shooting out as if under pressure changing the oil on my truck. Ive always changed the oil on my own vehicles yet the Tundra is the only one where it blasts out. I have the oil stream hit the back of the funnel which directs it downward into the funnels base. The wide mouth and wide exit lets the oil flow straight down at a much slower rate without the funnel overflowing. I can also direct the stream into the pan easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
This guy has a good idea. Now where to buy the funnel for the drain pan?

I'm only endorsing the product below because I've used it and it works great.

My next oil change will be messy for the last time; then I'll be replacing the drain plug with the NoSpillSystems drain plug. Then I'll use the drain hose. I had it on my cummins and will absolutely use it on my Tundra.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

From them:

I’d recommend going with the Compact design plug which is part# 15-12125-01.

Also, the matching drain hose part#s are the CD 2001 (straight) and CD 2003 (90 degree). They don’t automatically come with every plug.

Thank you,
Kaye Bain / Office Support Administration
Toll Free: (888)466-7745 ext 123 Fax: (888)876-7982
[email protected]
www.nospillsystems.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
This guy has a good idea. Now where to buy the funnel for the drain pan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcY8PNZfNv0&feature=youtu.be

I'm only endorsing the product below because I've used it and it works great.

My next oil change will be messy for the last time; then I'll be replacing the drain plug with the NoSpillSystems drain plug. Then I'll use the drain hose. I had it on my cummins and will absolutely use it on my Tundra.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

From them:

I’d recommend going with the Compact design plug which is part# 15-12125-01.

Also, the matching drain hose part#s are the CD 2001 (straight) and CD 2003 (90 degree). They don’t automatically come with every plug.

Thank you,
Kaye Bain / Office Support Administration
Toll Free: (888)466-7745 ext 123 Fax: (888)876-7982
[email protected]
www.nospillsystems.com
He still splashed everywhere with that table top looking yellow funnel. You can see him wiping his tire and undercarriage. In the post before yours I put a picture of the funnel I use. Super wide at the opening and wide at the exit. The back is very high and even at full power the oil is deflected into the bottom of the funnel with no splashing. Ive been using this for years after messy splashing and now not a single drop gets anywhere I dont want it to.

·
Registered
261 Posts
yeah Fomoto valves are a lil bit slower BUT SOOO NICE .

I do not know what size fits the Tundra ( yet) but have ran them on several diesel pickups and ohh yeah they are worth it . .

Perhaps ? The splashing is due to the low viscosity magic oil that is spec'ed ? Dunno , yes it does come shooting out but i have not had a real probl with making a mess so far
I put the Fumoto F103 on my 2015 5.7L.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try using a wide mouth funnel. I use this exact one in the picture and it saves the day. Had the same problem with oil shooting out as if under pressure changing the oil on my truck. Ive always changed the oil on my own vehicles yet the Tundra is the only one where it blasts out. I have the oil stream hit the back of the funnel which directs it downward into the funnels base. The wide mouth and wide exit lets the oil flow straight down at a much slower rate without the funnel overflowing. I can also direct the stream into the pan easier.
Thanks for the info. I ordered that funnel. For $8 how wrong can I go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've only done 1 oil change on my '18 Tundra 5.7L, and didn't have any issues whatsoever.
I dont have a skid plate, so the engine underside is open-access.
I crack open the oil fill cap to vent the crankcase & to ensure oil drains freely.
I use the Motiv-X tool to connect to, & drain, the oil filter housing, first.
My oil catch-pan is a generic larger 10-12 qt size -- it never gets too full .
And, I always place a large 30x60 inch sheet metal drip tray under any vehicle I'm changing oil -- too many things can go wrong otherwise! eg, if I bump or drop the catch-pan when sliding it out from under the truck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use the fumoto valve from this site --> https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/
I also use this for the oil filter --> https://www.motivxtools.com/products/toyota-lexus-oil-filter-drain-tool

With these two products I am able to drain the oil directly into the containers (milk jugs, 2-liter pop bottles etc.) I take to the local oil disposal site. Zero mess on me or my garage floor and I am able to do the entire oil change in under 20 minutes. I can't say enough about how well these products work and how easy an oil change has become.

·
Registered
41 Posts
fumoto valve users:

if you don't have a skid plate, is valve protected well-enough that you have no worries of a rock or debris hitting the valve hard enough to break it it off, or cause a leak?
I feel it is protected and I feel the risk is very low with regards to damaging the valve. I removed my skid plate and cut an access hatch to the oil filter but I haven't put the skit plate back on yet and I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
261 Posts
fumoto valve users:

if you don't have a skid plate, is valve protected well-enough that you have no worries of a rock or debris hitting the valve hard enough to break it it off, or cause a leak?
The oil drain port on the oil pan is not covered by the factory skid plate on my 2015 TRD 5.7L. The back edge of the skid plate doesn't even come close to covering that oil drain port on the oil pan.

I'm not concerned about the valve being damaged. I'm not an "off roader", getting into tight spots, climbing rough trails, or the like. I do live in a rural area, so farm roads and some mild off road work around the acreage is my usage pattern.

The valve housing is built fairly solid, and uses a ball valve-type mechanism. The tab used to open the valve is locked into the closed position through the use of a plastic clip that slides over the tab and snaps into place.

I might be more concerned about it if I were rock climbing or otherwise regularly bottoming out on trails. But I also think that if one is doing that, then there's risk of far greater damage in addition to snapping off the valve. I think the chance of a puncture in the oil pan is just as great as snapping off that valve.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have used those drain valves on several diesel pick ups and snow plow rigs , no issues .
Granted the Tundra does sit lower , but the location of the drain hole is up in there , so barring any extreme Bahja action its going to be fine .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the Fumoto valve and still waiting on the funnel. Hopefully it will come in today and I'll change the oil tomorrow. I still have a couple hundred miles before I hit the 5k mark. The valve does have me slightly concerned. The closest I do to off road is the beach and the valve looks well made but my luck is such I'll manage to hit it with something the first week it's on.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You will be fine and the valve will be fine barring any rock crawling .
These valves are used in many automotive and industrial applications on some very expensive engines . I have a CAT v16 ( yes 16) 4 turbo genset at work , it holds 110 gallons of oil . IT has a Fomoto oil valve on it . A big one .
I have had Fomoto valves on 3 of my cummins pick ups ( 2 were snow plow trucks doing things that shouldn't be done ) and 2 of my sons diesels .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it changed. The funnel worked like a champ until I had to remove it, then I splashed oil everywhere. Still didn't get oil on the wheel, so that was a plus. I don't raise the truck up when I do an oil change and the funnel would just barely fit under the truck and in the drip pan. I installed the fumoto valve. It looks like it would be tough to damage. As others said if you are off-roading on some pretty hairy stuff you might hit it, otherwise it would be horrible luck to damage it. Next oil change should be a breeze.

·
Registered
261 Posts
... I don't raise the truck up when I do an oil change and the funnel would just barely fit under the truck and in the drip pan...
I tried raising my truck once to make it easier, but I really didn't save any time. I now park on flat concrete or gravel driveway, and reach underneath. The nice thing about the Fumoto valve is that it only takes finger pressure to open or close the valve. When I park the truck for an oil change, I crank the wheel hard left all the way to ease the clearance on the right side of the truck to make access to the valve easier. I slip a piece of clear plastic tubing over the end of the valve to guide the oil down into the drain pan.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I need a Fumoto... I keep a couple or large sheets of cardboard in my garage that I slide under vehicles when I'm working on them. Oil soaks into the cardboard and drys enough I can reuse the sheets a good bit before having to throw them away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts