Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else notice the oil cap says 5w30 but the manual calls for 0w20?

I was at a local shop for an inspection and for some reason they thought I wanted an oil change too. They used a oil blend. I explained the truck takes full synthetic and had them switch it out. When I got home I noticed on the paper work it said 5w30 blend oil. I am ssuming they used 5w30 synthetic too.

I have done the oil changed except the first freebies from Toyota and used 0w20. So I checked the oil cap and it says 5w30. Why would they have a different weight oil on the cap than what is recommended?

Are there any issues with running the 5w30 for another 6k miles which would have been the oil change interval.

I have no clue what oil they used and I'm half tempted to take it to Toyota for a oil change and having them reimburse me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did anyone else notice the oil cap says 5w30 but the manual calls for 0w20?

I was at a local shop for an inspection and for some reason they thought I wanted an oil change too. They used a oil blend. I explained the truck takes full synthetic and had them switch it out. When I got home I noticed on the paper work it said 5w30 blend oil. I am ssuming they used 5w30 synthetic too.

I have done the oil changed except the first freebies from Toyota and used 0w20. So I checked the oil cap and it says 5w30. Why would they have a different weight oil on the cap than what is recommended?

Are there any issues with running the 5w30 for another 6k miles which would have been the oil change interval.

I have no clue what oil they used and I'm half tempted to take it to Toyota for a oil change and having them reimburse me.
Suggest taking it back to the place that did the freebies and get your OEM oil cap back. Also make sure you don't have 5W30 in the engine. Only 0W20 or 5W20 are approved (non flex fuel engines):

Your vehicle is certified with Genuine Toyota 0W20 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W20 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months IF 0W20 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED. If 0W20 is not available, 5W20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at A 5,000 miles or 6 month INTERVAL with 0W20 motor oil.
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-14Tundra/pdf/2014_Toyota_Tundra_WMG_lr.pdf

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hard to say what any given dealer actually pours in, as there a too many reports of people finding out its not what the cap says or not even what their invoice says.

If its 5w-30 vs 0w-20...no worries. 5w-30 is just fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why would they have a different weight oil on the cap than what is recommended?
Maybe because one of the shops that changed your oil lost the OEM cap?

Suggest you check your owner's manual and/or maintenance/warranty guide for approved alternatives to 0W20. Use of 5W30 may not be approved; they typically say something like this:

NOTE: Your vehicle is certified with Genuine Toyota 0W20 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W20 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months IF 0W20 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED. If 0W20 is not available, 5W20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at A 5,000 miles or 6 month INTERVAL with 0W20 motor oil.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5w20 in my 2013 CM FFV and buy it from Costco when it's 10 bucks off per case - usually around $25 for 6 qts. My cap says 0w20 too.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Must be a replacement cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've always done my oil changes (every 5k) since getting my truck. I'm at 57k miles now (supercharged since about 4k brand new). I recently switched from 0w-20 to 5w-30 for the higher viscosity. I live in CA and have a pretty heavy and heavily-built truck -- which means more engine load -- so I'd rather preserve engine durability with the higher oil than have better MPG with 0w-20. So far everything is good and I just did a 2.5k roadtrip up to the Sierras from SoCal since switching to fresh 5w-30. MPG was still about the same, too.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Flex Fuel truck? Pretty sure they still use the 5w-20, but not sure.

·
Registered
497 Posts
FFV is also 0-20W somebody switch your cap OP

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Toyota and they said it should have come with a 0w20 cap and that is the recommeded oil. They said I can run the 5w30 till the next oil change I was planning in 6k miles.

They said the cap must be a replacement. The first 2 oil changes were done at Toyota and I did the last 2. I cant say I noticed the cap when I changed the oil. The truck really has not been to a shop where they should removing the oil cap.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I too am supercharged and don't care about the little bit of added mpg using 0-20 so I run 5-30 in mine

I've always done my oil changes (every 5k) since getting my truck. I'm at 57k miles now (supercharged since about 4k brand new). I recently switched from 0w-20 to 5w-30 for the higher viscosity. I live in CA and have a pretty heavy and heavily-built truck -- which means more engine load -- so I'd rather preserve engine durability with the higher oil than have better MPG with 0w-20. So far everything is good and I just did a 2.5k roadtrip up to the Sierras from SoCal since switching to fresh 5w-30. MPG was still about the same, too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I called Toyota and they said it should have come with a 0w20 cap and that is the recommeded oil. They said I can run the 5w30 till the next oil change I was planning in 6k miles.

They said the cap must be a replacement. The first 2 oil changes were done at Toyota and I did the last 2. I cant say I noticed the cap when I changed the oil. The truck really has not been to a shop where they should removing the oil cap.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit, based on my experiences, that the dealer swapped your cap with another laying around on the shop floor. :lol:

Have you made sure your skid plate bolts are all there or that all the lug nuts were properly torqued?

My experiences with dealers has been pretty poor. I don't think I'll ever use them again, unless forced to do it, and I still need the bumper recall done. :| I may just install a sticker on my bumper that says "Not A Step". :lmao:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wouldn't surprise me one bit, based on my experiences, that the dealer swapped your cap with another laying around on the shop floor. :lol:

Have you made sure your skid plate bolts are all there or that all the lug nuts were properly torqued?

My experiences with dealers has been pretty poor. I don't think I'll ever use them again, unless forced to do it...

Im getting to the point I cant trust anyone but im not mechanically inclined enough to do any more than an oil change.

When I did my first oil change after the dealership I had to use a breaker bar to get the oil filter housing off. Im pretty sure 10 ftlbs does not require a breaker bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts