Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyes hurt from research so I hope you guys can help out.

Looking to change out my wheels and want to know how aggressive of an offset wheel can I get before I come across any rubbing on a stock suspension.

2013 Tundra crew max. Stock wheels are 18" wheels - Width: 8", Offset: +60mm/ & Tires 275/65/18.

I want to stay with 18" wheels but want to know how aggressive of an offset can I go if I go with a 275/55/18 tire instead of the 65? I want the tire to stick out at least 2 inches.

Any help would be so great-full. Thanks in advance.

PS. I need to order the set ASAP so any recommendations would be greatly appropriate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My eyes hurt from research so I hope you guys can help out.

Looking to change out my wheels and want to know how aggressive of an offset wheel can I get before I come across any rubbing on a stock suspension.

2013 Tundra crew max. Stock wheels are 18" wheels - Width: 8", Offset: +60mm/ & Tires 275/65/18.

I want to stay with 18" wheels but want to know how aggressive of an offset can I go if I go with a 275/55/18 tire instead of the 65? I want the tire to stick out at least 2 inches.

Any help would be so great-full. Thanks in advance.

PS. I need to order the set ASAP so any recommendations would be greatly appropriate.
I dont fully understand the question. It feels like apples and oranges a bit. -

The offset of the stock wheels is 60, so at 25mm/inch you can go to an offset of 10 or so to push the tires two inches out from the body. I dont have the same tires as you (255/70R18) which is a 32" tall tire (which is the same as your 275/65/18). BUT the height of your 275/55/18 is 30".. I think this is something to think about. You are about to put a tire that is 2" shorter on your truck.. It will affect your speedometer readings etc.. And none of this has anything to do with the offset.

As far as the offset - I recently put on some new wheels with an offset of 35, and it did push the wheels out about an inch. The thing is, once the tire sticks out from the wheel well, does it matter how far it sticks out in regards to wheel rub? Essentially once you stretch outside the wheel well its all about vertical clearance. My truck has tons of it.. but I didnt change the height of the tires either, so I dont have any experience with that kind of thing.. but I wanted to offer what I have learned over the last couple of months leading up to my wheel swapout.

https://tiresize.com/height-chart/

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I dont fully understand the question. It feels like apples and oranges a bit. -

The offset of the stock wheels is 60, so at 25mm/inch you can go to an offset of 10 or so to push the tires two inches out from the body. I dont have the same tires as you (255/70R18) which is a 32" tall tire (which is the same as your 275/65/18). BUT the height of your 275/55/18 is 30".. I think this is something to think about. You are about to put a tire that is 2" shorter on your truck.. It will affect your speedometer readings etc.. And none of this has anything to do with the offset.

As far as the offset - I recently put on some new wheels with an offset of 35, and it did push the wheels out about an inch. The thing is, once the tire sticks out from the wheel well, does it matter how far it sticks out in regards to wheel rub? Essentially once you stretch outside the wheel well its all about vertical clearance. My truck has tons of it.. but I didnt change the height of the tires either, so I dont have any experience with that kind of thing.. but I wanted to offer what I have learned over the last couple of months leading up to my wheel swapout.

https://tiresize.com/height-chart/
^ this isn't true.

My stock tires are 285/55/20 on stock TSS 20X9 50+ wheels.
No rubbing at all with stock wheels.
I have a 2.5" lift in front and a 1" lift in the rear.

I bought aftermarket wheels 20X9 with an 18+ offset and used the stock 285/55/20 tires.
I had hard rubbing at full lock in reverse, steering both ways, even with the front mud flaps removed.
I could never get those aftermarket wheels to balance and the seller took them back.
Put the TSS wheels back on and everything is fine.

So to say the vertical offset doesn't matter is a lie.

I'm sure if I had the smaller 35+ offset, the tires would not have rubbed.
But with an 18+ offset, it rubbed hard in reverse at full steering lock.

If I where to buy aftermarket wheels again, I'd try 25+ offset or more, like mscroggi's 35+.

·
Registered
61 Posts
^ this isn't true.

I bought aftermarket wheels 20X9 with an 18+ offset and used the stock 285/55/20 tires.
I had hard rubbing at full lock in reverse, steering both ways, even with the front mud flaps removed.
I could never get those aftermarket wheels to balance and the seller took them back.

If I where to buy aftermarket wheels again, I'd try 25+ offset or more, like mscroggi's 35+.
I was just trying to understand what was being explained.. The post mentioned staying at 18" wheels but going down in vertical height from a 275/65/18 to a 275/55/18 which would be a reduction in vertical size of 2". Maybe Klap24 meant going to a 20" wheel - 275/55/18 which would be the same height.

·
Registered
61 Posts
^ this isn't true.

Is the rub only on the front wheels because the wheels stick out farther from the body and swing farther with steering? Is that what makes the rub? That would make sense to me.. If thats it I think I understand now.. I always assumed the rubs were from suspension travel with over-sized wheels, reducing the clearance in the wheel wells.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Is the rub only on the front wheels because the wheels stick out farther from the body and swing farther with steering? Is that what makes the rub? That would make sense to me.. If thats it I think I understand now.. I always assumed the rubs were from suspension travel with over-sized wheels, reducing the clearance in the wheel wells.
Yes, the wheels stuck out further from the body with the 18+ offset, that is why they rubbed.
The same tire on a stock 50+ wheel didn't rub.

I probably could have heated and reformed the plastic wheel well liner, as other have done.
But I could never get rid of the steering wheel shimmy after 5 tire balancings (3 of them road force balancing) so the seller took them back.

There are many her that have 18+ offset wheels, so I'm not saying it can't be done.
I was only sharing my limited experience..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.