Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So a forum member wanted to know if there is Toyota accessory that would give him more storage space but wouldn't take up bed space.

This question and many other similar questions have perplexed engineers and physicists over many generations.

It is simply physics; capacity cannot be added without sacrificing space. Our competitors offer deck side boxes and storage on the lower deck behind the rear wheel. These offer space that might be useful to some customers, but not others, and certainly not all. Ultimately, the space needs to be useful, accessible and secure.

It is important to note that, while there are bed storage offerings in the truck market, large sacrifices are made, resulting in reduced cargo volume in the bed. In some cases, the reduced bed size makes it difficult to haul larger items such as sheets of plywood, multiple bicycles, dirt bikes or ATVs.

Thank you for your question.

Bob
Program Manager for Tundra Vehicle Development

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Bob,

it was me again with the storage space questions:

again, thanks for your time but I have to argue with you a little here and hopefully challenge you guys to come up with something for the tundra which I hold in very high regard. Your new off-road TRP pro is a cool package, now let's get something for the average working and family guy who uses his truck for everything. We need storage and organizing options and ideas, not just one huge unorganized center console and one huge open area in the back seat. This is a large reason I didn't buy another one this time.

I would love toyota to come up with something, not just say there are too many compromises. I feel that toyota has the best engineering out there and I would like to see you guys innovate, I would be next in line to buy a more tundras for myself and my company.

check these out as I am sure you are familiar with them.

They are lockable, lighted with battery saver in case you leave them on, manual switching to leave the light off for extended work times in the field, drain-able, weather tight, you can buy accessories to haul guns, or other dividers.

you can also, still fit a ATV, plywood, sheet rock, flat on the floor and between the walls of the truck bed. You still get a deck rail system, tailgate extender that doubles as a lockable cargo divider with numerous locations to select.

that's a full size 1' measuring wheel in there, gallons of washer fluid, flags, tons of stuff for work, winter and rain gear, I mean I could list and list.

plywood fits flat on the floor between the walls, this is the age old test of a truck, in it still passes

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here's a question I asked in my "new truck" thread.

Having come from a tahoe with storage in the very back for things like a trailer hitch (or ball mount borla;)) and seeing how many places the ram seemed to offer for such items I have to add my own disappointment regarding this issue. I must be in the minority though, since (some)trucks have only recently offered such a high level of storage, but have always been used as tow vehicles. I'm just used to being able to pull it (the hitch) off and stash it somewhere on the vehicle till the next time I need it. I tend to agree with Borla that the ramboxes are pretty cool but my local ram dealer never ever had any model truck with that option so I don't know what that says about the demand...at least in this area. Still, a small compartment like the Titan in the rear quarter panel that would fit some typical truck items would be awesome (hitch, maybe ratchet straps, etc...) as there seems to always be tons of wasted space under the truck.

My thought is that there should be somewhere for a nasty hitch to go when you don't want it in the receiver...broken shins come to mind and my truck actually fits in the garage but probably wouldn't with the hitch on.

Since I am griping I'll add some more. Keep in mind at this point I only have 925 miles on my Platinum. The following are off-topic in regards to the bed storage but on topic in regards to storage in general.

-Glasses case by mirror...useless for normal sunglasses. It isn't deep enough so it won't close. My 1997 tahoe closed with glasses inside.

-Door storage. Go sit inside a 2005 Honda Odyssey to see proper (minimum) door storage design. There is a ton of wasted space on this tundra. I would have been happy with a decent upper level compartment to put my glasses but that didn't happen.

-Rear seat storage. That needs a do-over as there is none. None None none. Tools behind the rear seat? LOL - do I really have to reach under and scavenge through the strap and pull it through underneath?:rolleyes: The fold up seats are great though for putting the dog back there. He loves it.

-Center (humongous) console storage. I like the size but agree that it needs some breaking up. Also plumb in AC like my 1985 Porsche had in the glove box to keep waters (beers) cool. Mold in some sort of change compartment. You always need somewhere to stash change in a vehicle.

That is my current rants...perhaps I'm just doing it wrong though. I'm all ears if I'm missing something here. Don't misunderstand me though either...I dig the truck...but if I am going to trade this one in on that cummins tundra then we should get some of these issues resolved.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Subbed. (Sorry, I didn't see a way to do it on the new format without posting.)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bob,

Appreciate your time here if you are answering any more questions, for curiosity I would really like to know....

Why would a deep empty bin under the arm rest make it passed the 'acceptable' stage for your design team? Was there thought put into why to leave it that way?

I mean, even the old pull out tray that existed would have appeased me, but it seems no effort was even attempted to look at this as an opportunity to improve.

I understand we can't please everyone and I actually appreciate minimalist design, but a little ingenuity regarding storage would have been nice.

Thanks-

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
these are also nice which are located in the rear floor, the bucket is removable to clean and the lids sit flush so the mat can go right over them. You can put all kinds of stuff there. I even put cold drinks for trips for the back seat passengers. I also have field supplies, gear, etc.

not saying just copy Ram but come up with something for the tundra, these are just some ideas

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
these are also nice which are located in the rear floor, the bucket is removable to clean and the lids sit flush so the mat can go right over them. You can put all kinds of stuff there. I even put cold drinks for trips for the back seat passengers. I also have field supplies, gear, etc.

not saying just copy Ram but come up with something for the tundra, these are just some ideas

BB: I was just telling my wife's uncle about those this weekend. Loved that feature. Wish the Tundra had it. *hint hint*

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

214 Posts
Hi Bob,
Here is what I have come up with. Due to the design of the rear floor and the seat mount rails, I was able to design a lightweight(20lbs) sturdy and secure storage system for under the rear seat. I work for a Toyota dealer, and I have to be honest. When I first saw the rear seat in the 14, I told myself I would not be getting one. However, in August when TFS had 0 percent interest for 60 months on Crewmax, and the fact that I couldn't find a good used 07-13 that I liked, I decided to get my Blue Ribbon Metallic Crewmax SR5 TRD. It irritated me that I had to throw all of my crap into the center console. As big as that thing is, I didn't like the fact that I couldn't but my ball mount in there. So I saw where one person hollowed out the foam under the seat, but it looked homemade and it wasn't secure. Here is my design:
The box is made of 1/8" aircraft grade aluminum. It has 3 separate compartments. Two measure 10"x11"x3 5/8" and the center is 14"x11"x3 5/8". It has a unique mounting bracket that fits underneath the seat mounting brackets and uses the factory seat bolts to secure it to the floor. This way, if the truck were in a roll over accident, the storage system will not come loose. It is finished in BK59 powder coat which gives it a durable finish. The security comes from the locking cam locks that are keyed alike.
I would be very interested in talking to the Corporate Accessory Department. I have already emailed David Baisile, but I think your IT department spams all gmail accounts. Please let me know what you think. These are all ready to go, and I am already manufacturing them.
Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
517 Posts

or.... just copy ram! i love those ideas and would trade in my '14 cm today for a new model tundra with "ram boxes" and in floor storage!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Seems like we're shouting into an empty hole (ha ha like the center no-organized console) Wonder why there's not at least an acknowledgement?

·
Registered
402 Posts
And what am I supposed to with the random spots they did give me? That useless little spot build into my arm rest? A grippy rubber insert in there would've been helpful. It's too hard and noisy as is to keep my phone in there. The shallow tray in the dash isn't grippy or deep enough to hold my phone either. One sharp turn and my phone goes sliding out and across the dash. I had to buy one of those sticky pads and stick it down by the usb/aux inputs and awkwardly reach around my shifter when I need it. That mini tray behind the shifter is cute too. Maybe someday I can go buy a fun sized candy bar or something to put there?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Maybe they're just trying to make you stop the truck to use the phone, or get the hands-free BlueTooth option?!?
I have bluetooth but I still need somewhere to keep my phone. I pull it out of my pocket every time I get in the truck because it's uncomfortable to sit on, and usually needs plugged in to charge. There are only 4 convenient spots to put it.... on top of the dash, in the arm rest spot, in front of the shifter, or in that weird long skinny tray to the right of the cup holders. If I pick the dash it will eventually shoot out to one side or the other and end up on the floor. If I pick one of the other 3 spots it slides back and forth every time I start, stop, or turn left/right depending on which spot I pick. I could throw it in the center console every time I get in the truck, but if I throw it down that giant hole, I'll never find it again....

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
yes,the 2015 interior space use design is worse than my 2008.less usable space with the strange slot on the right of console.the dash recess which is absolutely useless,the recess on top of center console lid and on platinums the small recess by the shifter is filled with a panel.
the loss of the center console tray,overhead console bin not deep enough for sunglasses,the loss of door armrest compartment,loss of upper glove box,no under seat storage on crewmax,etc...all of this in a $52k truck?
this my 2nd tundra but very disappointed in that aspect.it will be my last unless toy improves.

·
Registered
402 Posts
.......the loss of door armrest compartment,loss of upper glove box,no under seat storage on crewmax,etc...all of this in a $52k truck?
this my 2nd tundra but very disappointed in that aspect.it will be my last unless toy improves.
and don't forget that the center console organizer that you can buy, looks horrible. I'd be fine with paying a little bit for a nice console organizer, but the cheap shallow one they offer doesn't look like it's worth $20, and they want $65 for it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts