Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

We received a question wondering about the design decisions for headlamps on the 2014 Tundras.

Well, the headlamps for the 2014 Tundra, use a single Halogen bulb for the high and low beam, along with a multi reflector design for outstanding illumination. The high position of the lamps and the narrowed space between the lamps, improve airflow over and around the lamps, thereby reducing drag. Tundra remains to be the only truck in its class to continue to offer manual leveling headlights.

On the Platinum and 1794 Edition, LED lamps are used for the Daytime Running Light function.

Thanks so much for your question.

Bob K.
Program Manager for Tundra Vehicle Development

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello Bob,

I am currently on the market for a new full size truck. While my wife and I love the overall design of the new Tundra, the headlights are a bit troubling. Coming from cars that have bi-xenon headlights, driving a car without them now seems outdated. Both the Tundra and the Tacoma are without, and seem to be stuck in the 90's. While I understand your purpose of the areas to provide cooling and aerodynamics, I think most would disagree with your comment about the "outstanding illumination" the multi-reflector would provide. Is this something that I'm missing?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Outside lighting:

This is one of those things I never think about, unless it is not up to par.

Headlights: I have no problem with them, them seem a little better than the last Ford I had. Our Acura has xenon headlights; the only thing I really notice is the "more blue" color; they might shine a little further, but the car is much lower down, so for that reason I can see further ahead in the Tundra.

Backup Lights: The backup lights are "way better" than the 2011 F150 - those are useless. I am not the only one complaining about the backup lights on the newer Fords, they are just too dark to be any good. The Tundra backup lights seem very good, maybe a little better than average when compared to most cars.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The first thing I said to myself about my 2011's headlights when first used was "Holy crap, they actually work!". I've a number of pickup trucks where the illumination was subpar, especially during stormy nights.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is why I am retro fitting LS460 projectors. After driving for the last few years with HID projectors I cannt drive with halogens, its just not the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts