Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m Ben Wansten from Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I am a Driveline Engineer.

We received two questions on Tundra driveline components:
  1. Why is the prop shaft not centered down the vehicle centerline?
  2. Why is the differential offset?
To answer these questions, I thought it would be good to show you and walk you through it.

Thanks for your questions.

Please do keep them coming.

Ben

·
Registered
669 Posts
I believe it does. The ring is in the center of the axle and in order to achieve centering, the pinion had to be offset a bit.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why doesn't Toyota offer the 5.7 V8 in the short bed Tundra anymore? This omission might keep me from looking at a Tundra in the next few years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Driveshafts are also offset to prolong ujoint life and reduce vibrations from any imbalance caused from debris or any variance at the factory when the driveshaft was made. As to why the whole housing is offset to one side of the vehicle, I don't know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Biggest question I have and I'm sure many others have is why no 6.5' bed crewmax truck or whatever size bed that would fit on the doublecab long bed frame but instead with crewmax body. Shouldnt have to skimp on interior and legroom to get a longer bed.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hi,

I’m Ben Wansten from Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I am a Driveline Engineer.

We received two questions on Tundra driveline components:
  1. Why is the prop shaft not centered down the vehicle centerline?
  2. Why is the differential offset?
To answer these questions, I thought it would be good to show you and walk you through it.

Thanks for your questions.

Please do keep them coming.

Ben
how come you guys did not light up the knob control switches on the drive door. at night looking down it's a bit tuff.
Also no power lock on the tail gate, I have a platinum 2014 model, the price of that truck should of come with a tail gate lock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts