Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,

A few forum members have continued to ask about the CrewMax Rear Seats and the reasoning behind the 2014 Tundra design change.

Well, the 2014 Tundra Crew Max rear seats are a response from our current Tundra owners and other Full Size pick up owners requesting more useful space. While the rear seats in the previous generation CrewMax Tundra offered Fore and Aft slide adjustment and recline. The ability to carry larger items in the rear seat area of the cab was limited.

The new tip up seat cushion increases rear seat area cargo space by 21.8 cubic feet while also lowering the load height by 11". This increase in interior storage gives you more flexibility to carry large items, while making it easier to load and unload those items.

Thanks everyone,

Bob
Program Manager for Tundra Vehicle Development

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The “design” needs to be “finished”; specifically make it a “load flat floor”.

That will address two major areas of concern:

1. It will be much easier to load banker boxes, grocery bags, small pieces of furniture and virtually “all” other items into the back. Even gallons of milk in the plastic bags that are secured to the bottom of the back seat on the package hooks that are “missing”. The current monstrous “three” level design makes everything scrambled eggs when driving….a flat (or small two level like Ford) floor would not do that.

2. Storage: With the “load flat floor” the storage requirements can be met with ease; the storage possibilities become unlimited for “all” owners. Also, make the seat backs release so owners can easily gain access to all the storage behind the seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
this is one area I would like to see toyota copy Ram, or come up with something like this.

these guys really nailed the back seat area and have it packed with features that are super usefull

you can have storage bins underneath the seats, subwoofer, load flat floor, and storage bins in the floor. They also have LEDs on the bottom of the seats to light up the entry when the seat is down, or light up the cargo areas and storage bin areas when the seat is up

best of all worlds, check this out. sorry for the kinda crappy pics

fold out flat floor, great for cargo or dogs, etc.

cargo bins that the fold flat floor piece doubles as a lid (sorry for the crappy pic)

in floor storage with removable bucket (great for iced drinks, baby food for vacation, etc, anything really, one of each side of the rear seat area.

LED under seat

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
BB got it right.

There has to be "load flat" whether is it is fold out like BB RAM or like the old Super Duty, or the preferable like the current F150.

Me and the wife just got back from the grocery store with 10 large paper bags filled with groceries.

I was lucky, I got the "eggs" and vegetables before they splattered on the concrete because of the monster hump.

"Load Flat" solves that problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When doing you FEA Annalise's what was the Max load per mounting location for the rear seat? I'm toying with the idea of modeling the rear so I can cut and weld I a better solution but want to stay with in the factory limits as per FOS. Thank

Dave Shep

1 - 5 of 5 Posts