Votes: 53 15.2%
  • B. No

Votes: 101 29.0%
  • C. Kind of, but Toyota should have done more

Votes: 194 55.7%
981 - 1000 of 1759 Posts

· Premium Member
82 Posts
I strongly suspect Toyota will keep what is working and not fall for the hype that is most of Ford/GM's new products. Toyota for the most part is a smart business, they do things for a reason. I'd wait for others to push their new stuff out and then watch Toyota take the bar and set it higher again.

You've got Ford/GM releasing new transmissions
You've got Titan with a 1/2 ton diesel and redesign
You've got Ram with a 1/2 ton diesel

From a business standpoint it would be stupid IMO to release something with everyone else.
Keep what has been working for 7 years?

Consumers were complaining about fuel efficiency 7 years ago but we kept faith. What they have does work, but 7 years is more than enough time to set the bar higher on efficiency. If Toyota is bold enough to ignore efficiency, their product lines will disappear like Ford/GM's did in 2009 just a matter of time.

When company fleets start to see that $75-$90 fill ups every 300 miles average become a budget constraint, fooling consumers with a bigger fuel tank will not make a difference.

It may seem like Toyota is doing smart business but they need to take some of those profits and put it into some Real time R&D ASAP!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 ·
Just because Toyota hasn't announced anything does not mean they are standing idle. They will do it their way, they will not be dragged into all the hype if they are not 100% confident that their product will be on par with Toyota reliability and engineering excellence. Honda does the same thing. Everyone complains when they are late to the game, but they have the best products.

Reactions: chode and Wacked

· Administrator
7,615 Posts
Toyota already announced that they redesigned the Tundra with no power train improvements. I think that is what most of this thread is all about, I hope.

I just wonder how did they get better fuel economy with the same power train? Did they even mention that?

Duh! Its that cool new "spoiler" on the tailgate!

· Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Regarding diesel in a Toyota; I would agree with whoever said Toyota must know marketing. I don't foresee myself needing or wanting a diesel anytime in the near future or at all. It just doesn't suit my use.

We all know the small percentage of the truck market that Toyota has. Then take the small part of those that would actually buy a Toyota diesel, and the numbers probably just don't add up.

I'm sure we would all like to think that if Toyota came out with a great new diesel truck, there would be some Big 3 owners that would switch. But in reality, most Chevy and Ford owners are blindly brand loyal. Ram, I'm not so sure.

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
When diesel is almost a $1.00 more than gas, maintenance is higher, and the general "american" public has not welcomed diesel cars openly, why would Toyota go down this road?

My spidey senses say that they are working more in the hybrid technology world. They have the Prius system, they have forklifts (don't laugh), and some of the strongest built vehicles on earth. It amuses me that wonder is spent on why we don't get window shutters and other gimmicky traps.

I call their bluff on "comfortable with a small market share".

· Premium Member
82 Posts
When diesel is almost a $1.00 more than gas, maintenance is higher, and the general "american" public has not welcomed diesel cars openly, why would Toyota go down this road?

My spidey senses say that they are working more in the hybrid technology world. They have the Prius system, they have forklifts (don't laugh), and some of the strongest built vehicles on earth. It amuses me that wonder is spent on why we don't get window shutters and other gimmicky traps.

I call their bluff on "comfortable with a small market share".
I could definitely see a Hybrid with Direct injection. Just need to see something.

Well if Toyota makes forklifts how come they didn't try to make the power loader from alien? That would be supercool, JK

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I could definitely see a Hybrid with Direct injection. Just need to see something.

Well if Toyota makes forklifts how come they didn't try to make the power loader from alien? That would be supercool, JK

Ha! I'd get in line for that license!

I know that there is start stop clutchless technology in forklifts so I could see engine shut down at stop. What I would like to see is a company like Atlas come up with an external overdrive that would place between the trans and driveshaft that would give any truck another few gears. I have a 69 CJ with a Warn overdrive unit. Gives me six forward gears and two reverse. I'd like to see something like that come out. I believe Unimogs have a gear reduction system at each hub, I always wonder if the opposite can be done.

Things like gearing, direct injection, engine deactivation, and hybrid drive would all lend to better fuel economy. I just don't see diesel being the answer yet. Us 'mericuns don't like our diesel right now.

Shoot, tell Marlin Crawler to double up on trannys. Then we'd have 16 speeds! ...and need a longer truck.

Reactions: Wacked

· Banned
514 Posts
I'm betting there will be 2-3% mileage increase to shaving weight. There was rumors for a long while of direct injected 5.7l but given the track record of direct injected motors with inherent design problems I am glad they did not go down that road yet.

The Ecoboost from Ford is direct injected and believe me when I tell you they have major fuel dilution and longevity problems from intake build up.

What I would love to see is the hybrid technology improved and implemented on trucks. Electric motors assisting the 5.7l at low rpms to generate power quicker and increase mileage overall would be insane.

· Registered
421 Posts
While I agree with many of you on their competitive edge I REALLY hope they don't go the "electric hybrid" direction. Battery packs, charging, etc. is simply not viable. Battery packs they are making are extremely hazardous to recycle and HEAVY. Let alone for a truck like this...towing or anything like that would zap them instantly. I would LOVE to see them pull some other cards out of their sleeve... Dually? CVT Trans? Niche Market Special Edition Trucks?

9 and 10 speed transmissions sound great, but also sound $$$ to fix/maintain

Diesels are great and have gobs of torque BUT this was the reason why I went to 1/2 Ton Truck market... I was paying close to $5/gal this time last year for diesel... it was stupid! Its funny that it costs less to make diesel as its a crude version of gas, but its inflated at the pump. ANYWAY back on topic...

Reactions: riccnick and Wacked

· Registered
755 Posts
Things like gearing, direct injection, engine deactivation, and hybrid drive would all lend to better fuel economy. I just don't see diesel being the answer yet. Us 'mericuns don't like our diesel right now.

I agree with you. I sure hope these options have been on the Toyota Research & Development table for a couple of years now. That way they have had some time to study these options and see which are reliable, viable and cost effective enough to use in the Tundra.

Personally I do have to wonder about the viability of hybrid technology in a full sized pickup. If the batteries needed for the hybrid add too much weigh and decrease towing abilities that may make them unattractive to those of us who tow. From what I have seen, the GM hybrid pickups seem to be lacking when it comes to their towing numbers (ie Towing Capacity = 6,100 lbs for '13 Silverado Hybrid). I also have to wonder how the hybrid technology would hold up for those Tundra owners who like to go off-roading. Crawling over rough terrain or crossing streams might be a challenge for the hybrid battery packs, electric motors and regenerative brake technology.

Lastly, I have to wonder if there is a large enough market for a full sized hybrid pickup. GM introduce hybrid models in their 1/2 ton pickups. From what I have read they are discontinuing those models due to poor sales volume.

Time will tell when it comes to what Toyota chooses to use to increase the fuel efficiency of the Tundra. Hopefully the clock does not keep ticking too long.

BTW, it seems that Toyota is using the same philosophy (sheet metal & interior) when it comes to the last changes they made to the Tacoma.2012 Toyota Tacoma makes first web appearance [UPDATE]

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily consider the "full hybrid" route as I agree the durability and added weight cancel out the usefulness. I could see however taking the clutch fan and switching to electric, stealing the A/C system out of a Hybrid and take that away from the drive as well turning it electric as well. I think engine start/stop at stop would be a good move as well, as long as you could turn it off at will. I wonder if they will move to a composite bed like the Tacoma in time?

Right now I think the entire automobile is in a time of transition, something akin to carbourated engines to fuel injection. What I see today isn't anything new, just adaptation of existing technologies to make them as efficient as possible. I'm amazed at how many vehicles are trying to put an iPad in the dash? Most people can't drive worth a damn, including me, so why would you put a crap ton of distractions in front of them??

· Premium Member
82 Posts
I'm amazed at how many vehicles are trying to put an iPad in the dash? Most people can't drive worth a damn, including me, so why would you put a crap ton of distractions in front of them??
The dashboard on the Tundra is very boring and diluted as it is already. And behind the tech curve. I rather have a LCD/ LED dash instrument cluster that communicates with the ECU, that I can customize.

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
The dashboard on the Tundra is very boring and diluted as it is already. And behind the tech curve. I rather have a LCD/ LED dash instrument cluster that communicates with the ECU, that I can customize.

Not me. Tell me how fast I'm going, give me some real gauges with actual numbers that tell temps not idiot lights, and a gas gauge.

I don't need a blooming flower showing me how eco friendly I am, I don't need to disco-ize my interior with purple LEDs, I don't need a wifi hotspot in my car, blah blah blah. (i'm guessing this is a generational thing, also why most 'mericuns can't drive worth a shit, don't know how, car does it for them. )

I had all of this in a couple Lexus vehicles I have owned, a BMW X5, a Ford Explorer, and you know what I found, I like to drive, not play tiddlywinks with my dash. Well, maybe it does pass time in the drive through. :D

To each their own of course and I can't fault anyone for wanting these things, just not high on my list.

· Registered
123 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts

In case you did not know it, you could probably accomplish what you want using a 10" tablet computer, a tablet mount and the Torque App.
This is what I am using mainly when I tow my car trailer to keep an eye on tranny temps, mpg, etc. The other advantage of using this setup is being able bring the data from my tablet into my PC and import it into MS Excel to analyze it further.

· Premium Member
4,874 Posts

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
In case you did not know it, you could probably accomplish what you want using a 10" tablet computer, a tablet mount and the Torque App.
This is what I am using mainly when I tow my car trailer to keep an eye on tranny temps, mpg, etc. The other advantage of using this setup is being able bring the data from my tablet into my PC and import it into MS Excel to analyze it further.
This makes me feel like a 90 year old man holding a cell phone with a clueless look on my face. Hahahaha!!

· Registered
1,214 Posts
2014 Toyota build dates

Toyota

Model 2013 Fleet Final Order Due Date 2013 Final Production Date 2014 Order Bank Open Date 2014 Production Startup
4Runner 5/10/13 Jul-13 6/1/13 Aug-13
Avalon Gas 6/10/13 Aug-13 7/1/13 Sep-13
Avalon Hybrid 6/10/13 Aug-13 7/1/13 Sep-13
Camry 4/10/13 Jun-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
Camry Hybrid 4/10/13 Jun-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
Corolla 4/10/13 Jun-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
FJ Cruiser 5/10/13 Jul-13 6/1/13 Aug-13
Highlander 8/12/13 Oct-13 11/1/13 Jan-14
Highlander Hybrid 7/10/13 Sep-13 TBD TBD
Land Cruiser 1/ 5/10/13 Jul-13 6/1/13 Aug-13
Matrix 4/10/13 Jun-13 N/A N/A
Prius 7/10/13 Sep-13 8/1/13 Oct-13
Prius C 2/ 9/10/13 Nov-13 10/1/13 Dec-13
Prius PHV (Plug-In) 1/, 4/ 7/10/13 Sep-13 8/1/13 Oct-13
Prius V 2/ 5/10/13 Jul-13 6/1/13 Aug-13
RAV4 8/12/13 Oct-13 9/1/13 Nov-13
RAV4 EV (Electric Vehicle) 3/ 5/10/13 Jul-13 6/1/13 Aug-13
Scion FR-S 3/ 4/10/12 Jun-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
Scion iQ 3/ 2/11/13 Apr-13 3/1/13 May-13
Scion tC 3/ 2/11/13 Apr-13 3/1/13 May-13
Scion xB 3/ 8/12/13 Oct-13 9/1/13 Nov-13
Scion xD 3/ 5/10/13 Jul-13 6/1/13 Aug-13
Sequoia 1/ 4/10/13 Jun-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
Sienna 4/10/13 Jun-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
Tacoma 5/10/13 Jul-13 6/1/13 Aug-13
Tundra 3/11/13 Apr-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
Venza 4/10/13 Jun-13 5/1/13 Jul-13
Yaris Liftback 1/10/13 Mar-13 4/1/13 Jun-13
1/ Available in limited quantities. Pre-approval is required.

981 - 1000 of 1759 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.