• B. No

Votes: 101 29.0%
  • C. Kind of, but Toyota should have done more

Votes: 194 55.7%
961 - 980 of 1759 Posts

· Premium Member
4,874 Posts
can anyone confirm this??

Tough new image, added power ensure the 2014 Toyota Tundra continues as a top pickup truck - NY Daily News

"Powering the new-look Tundra is a choice of three engines, which are re-calibrated but have not received significant hardware changes"

"The V-8 exhaust is retuned to help with engine efficiency, and during acceleration emit a throatier sound than the previous model."

"Performance figures for the 2014 Tundras haven't been announced, but "slightly improved" fuel economy is expected"

"Retuning the suspension -- including changing the shock absorbers, springs and spring rates"

I don't recall seeing these before? the only change I saw before was shock absorber valve change. I never saw anything regarding fuel efficiency and especially V8 exhaust sounds, ect

could these and more small details be coming??

· Registered
755 Posts
Don't forget, there were many that thought the current incarnation of the Tundra was on the homely side.
True, but the exterior and interior of the 2014 Tundra seems to have been "inspired" by some other competing pickups on the market. ;)

Reactions: Wacked

· Registered
471 Posts
I like it more and more.

i'm thinking of a platinum grey metallic with color match grill surround and then flat black the insert. Add flat black or gunmetal colored wheels, cooper st maxx tires, and we have a winner.:lol5:

love that interior.

don't know if I will be able to afford the platinum though, and a limit will take more effort to color match it looks like.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I have a DC now and could really use the extra interior space of a CM, and the interior upgrades are really nice.

Reactions: Wacked and riccnick

· Registered
67 Posts
I know that someone asked about this earlier in the thread, but are there any guinea pigs here on the site who are planning on getting one, this year? While I'm currently not a fan of the new style, I have a feeling that the front end will grow on me, and there's no doubt that the interior is an upgrade, though I like the version we all have. I think the new grille will look better in the SR5 style, meaning a chrome surround with the black middle.

When envisioning a lifted Mag Gray (or whatever they call the new gray) 2014 with black wheels and a set of 295/70/18s, I can't imagine it being *totally* hideous. As much as I really want to not like the new one, I'm wondering how much of that is biased (not that there's anything wrong with having two asses) because of the fact that I just bought another Gen 2. I effing love my truck, but I have a feeling that I might eventually want to get in on the new action, once they've tweaked a few things and ironed out any potential issues.

· Premium Member
4,874 Posts
I know that someone asked about this earlier in the thread, but are there any guinea pigs here on the site who are planning on getting one, this year? While I'm currently not a fan of the new style, I have a feeling that the front end will grow on me, and there's no doubt that the interior is an upgrade, though I like the version we all have. I think the new grille will look better in the SR5 style, meaning a chrome surround with the black middle.

When envisioning a lifted Mag Gray (or whatever they call the new gray) 2014 with black wheels and a set of 295/70/18s, I can't imagine it being *totally* hideous. As much as I really want to not like the new one, I'm wondering how much of that is biased (not that there's anything wrong with having two asses) because of the fact that I just bought another Gen 2. I effing love my truck, but I have a feeling that I might eventually want to get in on the new action, once they've tweaked a few things and ironed out any potential issues.
I am likely going to look at one and I may buy one if the math works out.

I am also thinking of a mag grey platinum crewmax with flat black wheels or dark charcoal wheels wrapped with ST Maxx tires like I have now, with the grill insert painted flat black. That will be sweet looking...

does anyone know if there is a paint durable (professionally done of coarse) that you could use on the plastic portion of the grill insert that would hold up?

· Premium Member
4,874 Posts
Even as much as people have bashed the truck, you've got to keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there who HAVE to be the first to have something, even if it isn't very awesome....like the Jones's :D

Then, the Smith's down the road can come in and buy the Jones's used truck, 2-3 years later, at a reasonable price ;)
I also think that there are some that can't afford a new truck again this soon and so they have to bash it because they are stuck with the truck they have already and don't want to admit it. (not saying you personally).

someone can buy my 2010 at a reasonable price;):lol5:

ps. love the sig pic

· Registered
1,030 Posts
I'm hoping that the 2014 use the same bolt pattern so I can get some of the new wheels..Toyota did a good job with wheel selection this time.. I would say I hope they go with a 6 lug and something a little more familiar but I'm not buying a new one. I'm getting another GMC.. keeping the tundra for play

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I will be watching from the sidelines on the new release. When a few new power plants are introduced I will entertain the thought. For now I expect that my wife's car is next on the chopping block. My Tundra now does everything I ask of it and more. Her car is the "date" car but I have a feeling we are going to need two kid haulers. As I've mentioned in the past, she is a Lexus type girl so I'm not going to put hope and prayers into another Toyota product in the garage. I can't wait to see the 2014 Tunder on the road though.

· Registered
755 Posts
I will be watching from the sidelines on the new release. When a few new power plants are introduced I will entertain the thought. For now I expect that my wife's car is next on the chopping block. My Tundra now does everything I ask of it and more. Her car is the "date" car but I have a feeling we are going to need two kid haulers. As I've mentioned in the past, she is a Lexus type girl so I'm not going to put hope and prayers into another Toyota product in the garage. I can't wait to see the 2014 Tunder on the road though.
Here is another good reason why Toyota had better be working on new engine and transmission technology and introduce them in the next couple years.

General Motors, Ford, to work together on new gas-saving automatic transmissions - The Washington Post

The current Tundra engine and transmission technology simply will not cut it when it comes to what the competition is doing and what the CAFE standards require when it comes to MPG. Hopefully, Toyota will get their act together in the next year or two and we will see some new technology.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·
Here is another good reason why Toyota had better be working on new engine and transmission technology and introduce them in the next couple years.

General Motors, Ford, to work together on new gas-saving automatic transmissions - The Washington Post

The current Tundra engine and transmission technology simply will not cut it when it comes to what the competition is doing and what the CAFE standards require when it comes to MPG. Hopefully, Toyota will get their act together in the next year or two and we will see some new technology.

Didn't work too well for them on all the six-speed autos they co-developed together.... Not too worried...

· Banned
514 Posts
When the Tundra was released in 2007 it was the only 6 speed on the road half ton wise. I strongly suspect Toyota will keep what is working and not fall for the hype that is most of Ford/GM's new products. Toyota for the most part is a smart business, they do things for a reason. I'd wait for others to push their new stuff out and then watch Toyota take the bar and set it higher again.

You've got Ford/GM releasing new transmissions
You've got Titan with a 1/2 ton diesel and redesign
You've got Ram with a 1/2 ton diesel

From a business standpoint it would be stupid IMO to release something with everyone else.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
When the Tundra was released in 2007 it was the only 6 speed on the road half ton wise. I strongly suspect Toyota will keep what is working and not fall for the hype that is most of Ford/GM's new products. Toyota for the most part is a smart business, they do things for a reason. I'd wait for others to push their new stuff out and then watch Toyota take the bar and set it higher again.

From a business standpoint it would be stupid IMO to release something with everyone else.
Titan with a diesel eh? Toyota still skips out even with the competition

· Premium Member
829 Posts
I would like to get a Tundra. Toyota does need to think out of the box a little more. They might actually be surprised and pull in more sales than they think or expect. I could always get a used regular cab Tundra for now, but they are hard to find. I would like to see what options they will have available on the new DCs though, before I do anything.

· Registered
375 Posts
I'd like to see what the leftover situation would be for the 2014 model. Not that Titan has been a fierce competitor but if they do come out with a diesel model the story might change a bit, that would be two half ton diesels too many and a very late start for Yota. Nissan already have a nasty turbo Diesel engine in their full size SUV (patrol), I guess that would be the one they would stick in the Titan.
If Yota keeps the "we don't need the truck sales" mind they may loose more than they think.

· Registered
755 Posts

I agree that Toyota is a smart company and should not fall for hype. However, ignoring what the competition is doing and how it can impact one's own business is not smart either. That is how some companies can suffer financially.

I also agree that Toyota, like many companies, does things for a reason and has their own timeline for getting things done. What I am questioning is should Toyota be rethinking the speed/pace with which they are executing their business plan for the Tundra? Is it smart to assume that the pace of technological change they used in the past is the same speed they should be using now and in the future? Will keeping the same technological pace from the past negatively impact their business if they fall behind when it comes to technology?

I see what you are saying about Toyota not releasing something with everyone else. Given all the technology that the other automakers are working on, when does it make sense for Toyota to release their new technology and not get lost in the crowd? With all the technology in the pipeline at the other automakers, I have to wonder if there will ever be a good time for Toyota to introduce their offerings that update the Tundra's technology and increase it's MPG averages.

Bottom line is, I would hate to see Toyota suffer by coming too late to the party with meaningful, well thought out and reliable updates to the Tundra.
We all love our Tundras and only want the best for them and for us. :D

961 - 980 of 1759 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.