• B. No

Votes: 101 29.0%
  • C. Kind of, but Toyota should have done more

Votes: 194 55.7%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
It looks like a larger Honda Ridgeline.
Thank you! I thought I was the only one seeing the Ridgeline look in the front.

The front grille is hideous, the new bed is ok. Haven't been able to see the interio pics but overall I am glad I just bought my new second generation as opposed to waiting for the 2014.
:rolleyes:
The interior screams Ford from every angle, dunno why a manufacturer like Toyota can not come up with their own design as opposed to copying an existing one.
De-badgers will have fun trying to hide that huge embossed "tundra" from the tailgate lol

· Registered
375 Posts
I am sure at one point or another it will grow on most of us haters, if I was out in the market for a new truck I'd definitely wait for the 2015 in hopes they'd loose the "mistakes" of this one. IMHO the front grille is a bit much and looks like a plastered on patch, draws way too much attention. It is way too big, exaggerated and holds no relation whatsoever with the headlights. Ford came very close to this same mistake on the last HD series but they enlarged the headlights in relation with the grille.
Is is a deal breaker? No to a Toyota Tundra hardcore fan. Will it make most of us horny about it? I don't think it will. Personally I could take it or leave it.
I am rather happy with my new Tundra and would rather wait for the Diesel engine to be implemented.
I still think Toyota is missing out big time in the HD action in the US. The Diesel engine would have made up for the ugly @ss grille

· Registered
375 Posts
I had an 07 Chevy crew 6.0 liter 6.5 bed ltz, Allison 6 speed, traded for the tundra(traded up in my opinion)
It's always been there so what r u waiting for?
6.0L/6 speed Allison??? I thought the Allison 6 speed was only available with the 6.6 Duramax :rolleyes:

Reactions: riccnick and Wacked

· Registered
375 Posts
Can we make a second poll? :) I think it is growing pretty good on everyone.

All the whining (me included) about no powertrain changes seems a bs after couple days of considerations.

- Ford's Ecoboost gives no economical advantage as all you save on gas you pay upfront and at turbo replacement. Does it give any power advantage against V8? Nah. So what's the point?
- Ram's air suspension. Pretty useless. Especially for those who are lifting theirs.
- Active grill shutters. Good luck fixing those every oil change. Also the advantages sound laughable. Factory tonneu cover would make much more improvement for less money.
- 8-speed tranny. Haven't seen any on the lot so far. If it is so awesome then why are they still working on it. Also price difference is significant. Does it realy give that much gain over 6-speed?
- Efficient V6-s (like Pentastar). Was never in the market for one. This is for fleet. I am not trading power and capabilities for mileage. Even if I went with Ram it would be HEMI.

Out of my head I can not recall anything else Big 3 brought to their lineup to give their vehicles any advantages. Sales figures? Ha. Toyota can't make more than what they sell already. So they do not even target those numbers. Also would be fun to see how high end trims of Big 3 match against high end Tundras. I think we should be thankful to Toyota that they even give us a chance to buy their trucks at Big 3's price. They could have upped the price 30%, lowered the production and still sell every vehicle and make more profit. Lexus SUV-s go for 80K and people buy them.
My personal opinion, the truck is not ugly as a whole. I hate the front grille, I think it is a stupid attempt to make the truck look tough, almost in a childish way. I feel sort of betrayed because it is obvious and undeniable that there is a lot of the F150 in the new truck in and out and it is more than subliminal. This is not the first time Toyota pulls that crap, remember the first Ford truck? It was called the F100. Do you remember the first "full size" pick up truck attempt from Toyota? That's right, the T100.
Did you know or do you remember that Toyota had a battle over the name of the T100 successor A.K.A TUNDRA? Well, if you didn't I'll tell ya: Toyota wanted to call it the T150 and Ford stopped them from doing it :rolleyes:
That's what really ticks me off, I don't think Toyota needs that kind of crap and we as their product consumers definitely don't need it.

That being said, I didn't expect an engine change, I think the 5.7 is good warrior as it is. I keep my fingers crossed for a diesel addition to the line up, though I don't keep my hopes high. Don't understand completely, is not like they are new to diesels, they already have a diesel V6 and L6 that have proved themselves time and again in Europe, Asia, central and South America.

So, my revised opinion:D
If they re do the grille and the stupid embossed tailgate, I would probably buy the truck if I was in the market for a new truck (which I am not)

EDIT: BTW, I personally think is lame that after a great 7 year run with the second Gen Tundra they didn't add a 6.5 bed to the Crew Max. A lot of us drool over the CM but can't afford to work out of 5.5 bed. I think that's a major fail. Just my $.02

Reactions: Wacked

· Registered
375 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
Glad I bought one of the last good looking Tundras, I hope by the end of my journey I'll be able to grab the Ford Atlas if it comes to production.

· Registered
375 Posts
I'd like to see what the leftover situation would be for the 2014 model. Not that Titan has been a fierce competitor but if they do come out with a diesel model the story might change a bit, that would be two half ton diesels too many and a very late start for Yota. Nissan already have a nasty turbo Diesel engine in their full size SUV (patrol), I guess that would be the one they would stick in the Titan.
If Yota keeps the "we don't need the truck sales" mind they may loose more than they think.

· Registered
375 Posts
Toyota put the diesel Tundra project on the backburner a long time ago attributed to the market standpoint on 1/2 ton diesels, along with the steep overhead cost of developing/ getting a 1/2 ton diesel to market that meets emissions. Just costs too much. Alot of buzz was happening about Nissan introducing the first 1/2 ton diesel in the Titan, they contracted this out to Cummins. You can bet your ass Dodge wont let Nissan be the first to introduce this, I would expect a 1/2 ton diesel to be released by Ram in the next year or two. Once one company takes the plunge the others will be sure to follow, Id expect to see it in a Ram first with other companies following suit pending the success of the first company.
Ram already announced the introduction of the 1/2 ton Ram to their line for the third quarter of this year and it has nothing to do with cummins, but an Italian-made V6 turbo which by the way will be a no charge upgrade engine.

Do you think Toyota is new to the Diesel engine business? Think again, they have been producing small and industrial Diesel engines since the 60's and have been using them in everything from cars to buses to suv's and even in large commercial and military type trucks made by Toyota.
They currently have a super clean 3.4L turbo Diesel engine powering 4runners with automatic and standard transmissions and a turbocharged 4.5L V8 engine/6 speed auto Land Cruiser, the last one being just under 1000 lbs lighter than the Tundra CM

Toyota has no interest in increasing his truck sales or production and have stated to be happy and satisfied with what they have achieved with Tundra and Tacoma. The big 3 have a more ample truck market and many years ahead of Toyota in the US which is hard and costly to overtake in 7 or 10 years. That's what I think Toyota realizes and it gives them zero interest in the race.
It feels as though their way of thinking is: We offer you a 1/2 ton reliable gasoline engine truck. Like it? Buy it! Don't like it? Buy else where, we don't care! We are too busy selling Camrys and Corollas to be bothered with a full line of trucks:rolleyes:

· Registered
375 Posts
Love the color matched mirror caps, the wheels an tires look great and the LED bars I like. Not sure about the bumper, not a big fan.
The rest I dislike a much as ever :lol5:

· Registered
375 Posts
All subjective. As I mentioned in a previous post, Toyota will sell all they can make. Yea, manufacturers have missed the mark at times, but the 2014 Tundra will sell. I'm not a fan of the redesign and it would be more palatable with some new powerplants, but it is what it is.
I am sure they will sell... eventually, but it's hard to believe that they will sell like hot cakes. Still not the best economy, and the 2014 is not as accepted as the current running generation because of the looks and lack of improvement. I have seen a few 2012 leftovers in my area even though the 2013 is about to become a left over. I bought a 2011 leftover this past January so it's not like Toyota doesn't suffer form the leftover blues as it is, and with a not so accepted "redesigned" truck that doesn't offer much more than the same reliability they have been using a a selling point, it's hard to think that the 2014 models will fly off the shelf.
People like changes, and now a days customers also like and demand amenities that are on par with the current market, even in trucks, simply because fashion and innovation catches up to everyone eventually. If that wasn't the case we would be driving 2013 model t's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
375 Posts
BTW, I am sure I am not the first one to think of this but, it just occurred to me, what's happening to the Sequoia, are they keeping it as is or will they fuglify it too?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
375 Posts
Description Color
TUNDRA 4X4 CREWMAX 5.7L V8 PLT 2014 ATTITUDE BLACK METALLIC

Order/Production Status
Submitted/- - -

:D:D:D

Trigger Pulled, 2014 Tundra Ordered.

I feel like a kid in a toy store. So excited to be back in a full size, the Tacoma is not tall people friendly.
Congratulations, you sr are 2014 Tundra club member #1, now lets hope you get some company here:D

Can't wait to see pics and your report on how you like it!

· Registered
375 Posts
Damn. That's a pretty effin nice interior. Have to admit that for sure. I want a space shuttle on my dash!! :D

...and damn did they lean on their Lexus line. That dash shares some details with the GX460.
What's up with the quilting above the glove compartment??? That better be the "granny" edition and not a standard feature in the 2014 :eek:

· Registered
375 Posts
...just in case you want to go "slow and low" and drag frame, some of the interior work has been done. I hear dingle balls off the inside top windshield will be offered as a dealer installed accessory. :p

My next door neighbor rocks a saturn with the dingle balls and he's a white dude. Make's me experience feelings of confusion....

...again, I want to see in person but I agree, in pictures it looks odd.
LOL, that'll be the "Ramon" edition but would only be available in Texas, Cali and Arizona:lol5:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.