• B. No

Votes: 101 29.0%
  • C. Kind of, but Toyota should have done more

Votes: 194 55.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Guys,

Seeing a lot of QUICK judgement on this truck. I sat in it at Media day and took a lot of photos. I think photos don't do a lot of justice like with the 1794 edition.

Let me clear up a few misnomers:
1. No MPG increase - Frankly, we just don't know yet. MPG and towing numbers won't be released until closer to launch date. The truck lost some weight and is more aerodynamic. It would seem likely that real-world MPG would go up a bit.

Now will MPG numbers ever be like 25 mpgs? No way. Toyota doesn't think that way, they focus on real-world numbers and meeting expectations. If they say you are going to get 21 mpg on highway, then that is what you are going to get. Not 21 mpg if you drive under the EPA conditions (150 lb person driving, no extra truck weight, 55 mph).

2. Styling like F-150. This statement is really a mystery to me, all trucks are heading towards this styling. Why? Aerodynamics. The truth is that you can say all you want about "not being original", but that is crud. You can't belly ache for more MPGs and then want "unique" styling. That combo just can't happen. The styling that trucks are going to is simply a by-product of aerodynamics.

Here is the deal, all trucks will look more and more similar on the outside to traditional truck buyers. That is a fact.

3. Interior is only change? The truth is that you could say the GM twins BIG upgrade was interior. Also, Ford's latest updates have been interior/trim and so has Dodge. They are ALL upgrading interior. I have sat in all the trucks (except GM twins) at the auto shows and Toyota's is the only one that fits the retail customer.

Ford's interior is meant for commercial with some retail. Dodge does some of the same. Interestingly, Toyota envisioned their driver as both male and female when laying out the cab. It is the only one that I have found that is easy for me to drive and get used to. With the other trucks, it is hard for me to reach the touch screens or see the gauges.

4. Styling Ugly. The truth here is that Toyota concedes the styling is polarizing. They state that it isn't for everyone and that is why they have different trim lines. If your a Platinum guy, then you won't like the 1794. If you like the 1794 then you may not like the SR5.

Look, I'm not trying to defend all of Toyota's decisions, just trying to get some understanding into this conversation.

· Registered
240 Posts
I just called the Dallas Auto Show office, and they didn't have it shown in their list of 2014 vehicles. Then again, did the Chicago show have it listed? I know that websites confirmed that it would be unveiled in Chicago, but I don't think the actual show listed it.

Heck, I might just run to the show to see if it's there...
FYI - They brought the 1794 edition to Denver's show. I wonder why it wasn't in KC.

· Registered
240 Posts
I apologize for repeating this, if someone already posted.

I just received my latest issue of Truck Trend and it's first look at the new Tundra.

I quote, "When asked about the lack of changes to the power train, chief engineer Mike Sweets said... Toyota didn't want to sacrifice QDR (quality, durability and reliability) and increase cost with new technologies unless the cost increase for the technology ensured a return on investment in MPG for the customer."

That's all folks.

:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I betcha' my interview beats their interview! :lol5:

Q&A with Mike Sweers, Toyota Chief Engineer for Tundra and Tacoma | Tundra Headquarters Blog

· Registered
240 Posts
Tim

You need to copy that pic , of the redone grill, and show it to the Toyota guys. That grill makes all the difference!!!!!
Lol!

I actually told a Toyota rep that I hated the grille and he was shocked. I really think the new truck looks sweet, but the grill turns people off. I'm looking forward to what people will do with plastic dip on the grill.

Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
I don't know what they are tellin' these salesmen to say.
I had two of 'em tellin' me "it looks so much better since the whole truck has been redesigned".....I'm like.....yeah about that....:confused:
Salesmen and dealerships aren't told what to say.

Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
LOL dealers know as much or even less of the new tundras as anybody else. I don't understand why they feel they need to give out misinformation. I ask my buddy about these things has he is a dealer as well and he replies i could know more about the new trucks then him with a little research.
Exactly! I am always finding that salesman know diddly about the products they are selling.

Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
I can't believe the new truck comes out in about two months and no one has posted any pictures yet. I mean there aren't any spy shots or an official unveiling, Toyota is really good at keeping these things under wraps!
There is also an interview with the chief engineer, photos and opinion pieces over at Tundraheadquarters.com.

Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
That's because the cab is exactly the same. That part leads me to believe that this is a short term makeover, I don't see this model going the 7 year cycle
I don't think any truck is going to go a full 7 years without a change. The full-size truck market is simply too HOT right now with new products and competition galore.

Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
Has there been any info released on all the packages? All the pics I've seen are pretty much the same. I haven't really seen the TRD package with BFG tires or anything like that. I need to see this truck in person before I condemn it. I'm really hoping it grows on me.
I haven't seen any information released yet. Just need to be patient a little bit longer. With the media driving event coming in late August, we are what, 45 days or so away from all information being released. Plus, dealers should have the new truck on their lots shortly after.

-Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
I doubt for 2015, it will likely be in the mid cycle refresh 2017 if Toyota sticks to their 7 year product cycle. they usually do things like that mid-model.

perfect timing for my being back in the market.:lol5:
That reason PLUS the new CAFE regulations take effect. EVERYBODY is going to change their vehicle lineup for the 2017 model year (2016 actual year).

-Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
I read the same article. I'm guessing there will be something we see as a result. I doubt either Ford or Toyota invested the time and effort to come up empty handed.

I also don't buy into the seven year cycle either. Those are for major body refreshes. Many times in the past the drivetrain carried over for the first year of the newer body style, then the new drivetrains came out. My guess is end of 2015 you will see some news. Diesel isn't the answer. Too risky for such a cautious company. They have the hybrid technology, I say we see something.
I agree with you that upgrades are going to happen faster than 7 years. My reasons are:
  1. Competition is upgrading faster
  2. CAFE regulations hit in 3 years

I think both those reasons will force Toyota to change or fall behind (or further behind, depending on how you look at it).

-Tim

· Registered
240 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Truck Trend just posted their First-Drive Write up as well. Even got a little more technical with talking about the "new" diffs were strengthened and grabs 4x4 mode a lot quicker. I must say the DC looks pretty attractive...aside from the front end ofcourse...

2014 Toyota Tundra Limited and 1794 Edition First Drive - Truck Trend

Funny - that guy calls the engine/transmission combo fuel efficient and the other reviews think it is poor.

Tim

Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
Here's DriveApart's Review: DriveApart Review: 2014 Toyota Tundra

I think if the grille is completely chromed out and is either color matched or has some black accents like the one pictured above, the front isn't bad. The 1794's AutoZone chrome hubcap looking wheels still looks awful regardless of color or trim of the truck.
Interesting review being as this is the first one I have read that someone actually liked the truck. LOL!

Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
Does any trim level come with keyless/pushbutton start? I like this feature but didn't see it while looking through the brochure (very briefly). I will look through the thread at the pics and see if I see it. I would love to check them out in person but we don't have them in Florida yet. Hopefully soon....
Nope. I asked this question and nobody really knows why this feature hasn't been added to the truck. I'm guessing customer demand is overall low for this. I say this because as I ask people's opinion, it is very low on the list, if at all mentioned.

-Tim

· Registered
240 Posts
You can add aftermarket leather seats (both heated and cooled) for $1500. Buy whatever package fits your budget and then add stuff you want later.

leatherseats.com or katzkin makes leathers for our trucks. You can buy seat heaters and coolers all over the web, and theyre simple to install.
I'm having Katzkin installed on my truck. I'll have a full review and video when I do.

Tim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.