Votes: 53 15.2%
  • B. No

Votes: 101 29.0%
  • C. Kind of, but Toyota should have done more

Votes: 194 55.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
514 Posts
After looking over the pictures, and being a previous f150 platinum owner. The only thing that would even remotely be similar to the Ford is the air vents. Which was my first thought when I saw the interior shots. However looking in detail at the gauge clusters, buttons, and layout it is a mix of several other Toyota vehicles as far as design. The front is a similar design to the landcruisers with the way the headlights and grill are positioned and proportioned. The tailgate I love the embedded Tundra letters, but the lip aerodynamics of the tailgate looks similar to the Ram's current tailgate.

What I do not like is the gauge cluster, it looks cheaply done imo. But then again I'm spooled with my Platinum gauge clusters.

I am glad they stuck with the powertrain options, losing weight will help in the power department. I do want new and updated engine's and powertrains but at the sametime I think Toyota is holding back so they can stagger their powertrain updates... releasing something all new and updated at the same time as everyone else is a bad business strategy. Nissan has had the same powertrain and general truck since 04, they were WAYYYY overdue. Ford just released new powertrain and engine's in 2010, probably won't see those change for another 6-8 years. Chevy kept it's main 5.3 v8 and added another new engine to the lineup. I'd say give Toyota another 2-3 years and we'll see some updated or new powertrain options.

· Banned
514 Posts
Actually, do your research on the trucks before you make assumptions on payload. Ford has not begun using the new standards. However Ram and Toyota have. If you want a real eye opener, go look at the payload numbers on the door jamb of a 2500/3500 ram. Never believe the advertising or what you see on TV concerning payload, Ford is in the same boat when it comes to payload. Ford simply has a stripped down version of their truck that allows their payload numbers to seem higher. Similarly equipped trucks from Toyota and Ford would lean to the Toyota trucks having higher payload. Just as an example... my 2012 f150 platinum had a door jamb payload rating of 1531lbs. I weighed the truck empty and it weighed in on a certified cat scale at 6130lbs.... GVWR was 7200 minus 6130 = 1030 not 1531 as the sticker would have you believe. On the other side of the fence, weighing the Tundra the exact same weigh results in the payload numbers being within 50lbs of the door jamb... which can be attributed to random crap in the truck.

· Banned
514 Posts
Toyota does have a V8 diesel option, which resides in the LandCruiser atm. If I had to put money on it, I would say that would be the diesel they would use in the Tundra's. So Ram releases v6 diesel 1500, Titan gets possibly a 4 cylinder 2.8litre or 3.8litre cummins. If I had to pick one of those, you can be damn sure it would be the cummins.

· Banned
514 Posts
I purchased a '04 crew max 4X4 Limited brand new and loved it so much had the company just before I sold it buy me a new exactly the same '06 (even though the '04 only had 20k on the mileage). Didn't want a '07 because of the lack of a 6 1/2 foot bed available with the crew max. I never keep a vehicle more the 45k to 50k but still have and still love the '06. It has 135k miles and have only done a valve belt swap and just installed the 3rd set of disk pads. Hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned (I currently own 8, a mix of sports cars, cars, trucks and motor home)....love this truck! I only write all this because I agree with most of you, the new truck is a major disappointment. The '06 is getting tired and soon will need to be "put down" and I was really hoping for DI (better mileage and performance), longer bed for the crew max, upgraded frame etc. Major bummer....thinking for the first time ever going with a Dodge....:(.
The new Tundra is lighter so better fuel economy and power is inherent, we just don't know how much. I like the mind set that Toyota has with their powertrains... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Once everyone releases their "new" crap, Toyota will no doubt release an updated truck frame and powertrain. The Tundra frame is not weak, that's the Raptor your thinkin of.

If ya go Dodge, look at a diesel... if you go with a 1/2 you will be back over here quicker than you think.

· Banned
514 Posts
The Ford Ecoboost is all hype and marketing, which I fell for and then came crawling back.

If you get the lower rear end with the EB aka the 3.55 rear end you will get higher mileage but you won't be able to tow much of anything. If you pickup the 3.73 rear end with max tow package and EB you will get the same or worse mileage as the Tundra 5.7. Take it from a guy that had one and found out the hard way that Ford's payload, towing, and mileage are not what they claim. That's not counting the 11 different issues I had with the truck between engine and cosmetics. Cheaper? hell no, paid just as much for the Ford as I did the Tundra, in fact I think I paid less for a better equipped Tundra.

· Banned
514 Posts
When the Tundra was released in 2007 it was the only 6 speed on the road half ton wise. I strongly suspect Toyota will keep what is working and not fall for the hype that is most of Ford/GM's new products. Toyota for the most part is a smart business, they do things for a reason. I'd wait for others to push their new stuff out and then watch Toyota take the bar and set it higher again.

You've got Ford/GM releasing new transmissions
You've got Titan with a 1/2 ton diesel and redesign
You've got Ram with a 1/2 ton diesel

From a business standpoint it would be stupid IMO to release something with everyone else.

· Banned
514 Posts
I'm betting there will be 2-3% mileage increase to shaving weight. There was rumors for a long while of direct injected 5.7l but given the track record of direct injected motors with inherent design problems I am glad they did not go down that road yet.

The Ecoboost from Ford is direct injected and believe me when I tell you they have major fuel dilution and longevity problems from intake build up.

What I would love to see is the hybrid technology improved and implemented on trucks. Electric motors assisting the 5.7l at low rpms to generate power quicker and increase mileage overall would be insane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.