• B. No

Votes: 101 29.0%
  • C. Kind of, but Toyota should have done more

Votes: 194 55.7%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
They need new designers.
The cabin section is the same and they added sharp edges to the front and rear. Doesn't flow at all. Shit or get off the pot, man. Don't redesign parts of the body. WTF.
I think the front end is too busy. I like the boxier look, from the quartering away angle. But, I don't like the idea of raising the hood and causing more drag for no good reason. The grille is ridiculous. Makes the gawdy crome Ford grilles look mellow. I like the embossed Tundra logo in the tailgate, I hate the wrap-around rear bumper. Those pointy triangles don't flow with anything else on the truck. It looks like they pieced together body parts from 5 different trucks. And they went with those stupid Ford dash vents? I hate those things. Some people are upset about no new engine lineup. I'm glad they at least left that alone.
If all they were gonna change were the cosmetics, they should have done something awesome and innovative and blew the competition away.
It's still a Tundra and still the best half ton out there. Just not real crazy about the changes. Good thing I love the one I have. :)

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
After looking at more pics, it seems the creasing in the quarter panels, isn't as extreme as they first appeared.
Color, lighting and angle have a lot to do with it. I think it was a mistake to present the new truck in silver, WITH the chrome grille and with the rounded sidewall street tires, on black wheels.
When looking at the truck in different colors and at different angles, it's not as repulsive as I first thought. I still think the angle of the pointy wrap-around rear bumper should be reduced. I like the slightly more squared-off wheel wells, I like the slightly more squared-off profile of the upper front fenders, but, the all chrome front grille surround is out of the question. I like the new steering wheel, but I still hate the new Ford vents and I like the old A/C knob config better than the new one. I also still like the recessed inst cluster, over the new one. I'd like to see the 2014 interior with the front bench config.
As is:

With less of an angle on the rear bumper wrap-around:

Although I agree that they may have raised the front hood to make room for future engine options, I think the faux mini hoodscoop above the grille, does nothing but create drag. But this looks good.

This is hideous:

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
My guess is that it will look identical to the black one I just posted.
Color-matched front/rear bumpers and grill surround. The only difference being the wheels. Which, I believe these are the new TRD wheels (which I think look like hot garbage).

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
I hated the new front end styling on the silverado, when they changed it in 03.
Still do.
I blew my wad on the 2014 tundras's new body panels, because I thought the hard edges were more pronounced than they actually are. After looking at more pics, it's actually not bad.
However, I still hate the pointy rear bumper wrap-around, the ford dash vents and the chrome version of the grille surround.
I'm sure I will always hate those 3 things.

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
I like the truck. But I will only get another Tundra if they make a full 4door with 8ft bed. I need the bed length. I know you can make a crew max 8ft bed but I want one from the factory.

I like the GMC 2500 crew cab LB diesels but I don't want to spend around 45k on a truck.
You'll need a driveway stretcher if you get anything longer than that DCLB.
A CMLB would be longer than any other brand of crewcab LB.
Also, a CMLB would be $45k, at least.

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
I wouldn't call it unfortunate. I find the bench config to be a much more useful and flexible config.
The only unfortunate part is that it won't be found in black.
The only black cloth interiors are in the rock warrior trim and that trim only comes with center console and console shifter.
There's black leather, but again, I'm pretty sure that anything that comes in leather, will be a trim that only comes in bucket seat config.
As a matter of fact, the only bench seats I've ever seen, have been in base models and only in gray.
One option is to get the bench seat and get new seat covers. It's a little pricey for nice ones, but at least it's an option. If I had the extra cash to burn, I'd like to do my entire interior in black. Seats, rug, arm rests, the whole enchilada.
The black interiors are nice.

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
I'm not sure, but it might be easier to buy a 2014, drop 2nd gen bed, hood, front quarter panels and front end on. Not sure which would be more expensive, but I would rather swap body panels onto a brand new truck, than try to fit an entire interior and wiring from new to old.

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
Gentlemen, I have read every page of this thread and all the excuses made in it ie: Toyota didn't want to go with unproven tech., other mfgs lie about their fuel superior mileage, a 6'4" Crewmax option will make it to hard to turn in tight quarters, the interior looks "cleaner" than the competition, and so on and so on. Nobody wants to replace their Tundra with a new Tundra more than me however Toyota really crapped the bed with this '14 redo and will pay for it in sales. My good but tired old Tundra will be replaced with another brand.
Everyone just likes to post their opinion. I doubt anyone was trying to convince you in or out of anything, or really cares what you buy.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
Yeah, it really sucks that they chopped a whole foot off the CM bed.
I mean, the other crew cab trucks and the 1st gen tundra have the same size cab as the 2nd gen CM, right?
So, now the CM is a foot shorter than all the other trucks, right?
What were they thinking? Just add that foot back to the bed length and everything will be fine.

Know what? Toyota is stupid. You're right, you should buy a Chevy.
At least those guys figured out how to get a huge crew cab AND a 6.5' bed into a 19' space.
You give Toyota 19' and they screw it up and lose a foot somewhere.
Friggin idiots :disappointed:

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
Do you think they have really cared much while reading your 1631 pick up truck posts? (rhetorical) Carry on.
Tundergas, thanks for the reply. I see by your post count you are very much a fan of your truck as well as a staple on this forum, I think that's great. It's good for a manufacturer to have loyal followers such as yourself so when they get lazy and fall behind in advancements there is always those to carry on the good fight. However for me a truck isn't my life, my passion or something to defend and go to battle over. It is rather a tool that I use to haul my sports cars with as well as do some work around the place. I joined this forum to learn about the advances Toyota was offering for the '14 and was saddened when I found it to be limited to a few cosmetics inside and out. My current Tundra Limited has served me well and I fully planned to purchase another. However after shopping 2 of the other major brands, I find the silver spray painted dash, the door arm rest and stereo's cheesy plastic simulate wood grain, short bed only offered for the Crewmax, the cheap feel of the leather seat inserts, poor fuel mileage, and general lack of technological advances to be lacking to say the least. All three of the other Mfg's are leaps and bounds ahead. A friend has a '13 F-150 Platinum eco and he does get 22+ mph (I've personally been in it and watched it happen). He also has a 6 1/2 foot bed with a Crew Cab and a much nicer interior built with superior materials to the Tundra. The body is a bit dated but I understand a redo will be out next year so I'll probably pass on the Ford. The 2013 Ram trucks Limited and Longhorn are top of the line in interior design, use the highest quality of materials and the exterior is very nice, almost as nice as the '13 Tundra but better than the '14 Ho'ndra. The 8spd trans married to the Hemi is federally MPH stickered at 21 hwy and 17 city with the 6 cyl rated at 25. My Tundra is lucky to get 17 and 13. I am concerned about a Ram being as bullet proof and trouble free as my Tundra but a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty can be purchase for about $2000. This brings the sell price of a fully loaded Ram Longhorn or Limited 4X4 Crew Max 6'4" bed to about the same as a equally equipped Trundra Platinum when totaling up companies incentives. Perhaps if Ford Chevy and Dodge kept producing the same truck they did in 2007 and then stick a Honda front end on their refresh in '14 they would also have the bugs worked out and be as trouble free. As for GM trucks, haven't been a fan but I understand from my brother in-law (a GM fan boy) the 2014's are the shait. I plan on looking closely at one tomorrow. Now before you go nuts and flame away remember I am a Tundra owner and it has been nearly flawless over the years and I hate to see it go. But if you do your homework and not just carry your brand's flag you will see that Toyota was in need of a big redo on the '14's, not just a front grill coupled with a few interior improvements. They did indeed sadly crap the bed.
You seem obsessed with post counts. To be honest, that's probably the thing I notice, look for or pay attention to the least when I'm on here. And I've yet to notice anyone on here, equating their post count to their real world knowledge or talking like it lends anything to their credibility. That's some crazy little insecure shit you made up in your own head.
And speaking objectively, no current truck manufacturer uses "superior quality materials" in their interior, compared to any other manufacturer. Did you take a sample from each truck and run lab tests to see what they were made of? Of course not. That's idiotic. They use the same plastic, the same fabrics, same leather, etc.
it's a matter of design, not quality of materials. But, you equate ford and dodge having fancier designs, to having better quality materials. I'm not defending Toyota, I agree that their interiors are a little plain and boring, compared to others. I'm just saying that what you stated is incorrect and quite frankly, ignorant.
Also, any truck can see 22 mpg at random intervals. If you're watching your mpg in real time, you might see 99 mpg one minute and 4 mpg the next. I guess it's possible that your buddy averages 22 mpg over a whole tank of fuel, but most reports I've heard from ecoboost owners is that real world mpg is the same as the other V8 pickups. Unless its all hwy driving and no load. I can get 22+ mpg in my CM 4x4, driving east through Iowa with a tail wind. Sooooooo .....
And I was in a 2011 ecoboost crew cab with the 6.5' bed. Guess what,..... The cab has the same room in the back as a dual cab tundra,......with the 6.5' bed. The back seat in the ecoboost has a very shallow bottom and a paper thin back. That's how they manage to get any leg room in that small rear passenger space and get to call it a " crew cab". It's not bigger than the inside of the dual cab. It's not to be compared to a CM. a CM is a different platform. It's a "mega" cab. If you want a crew cab tundra with a 6.5' bed, they've always made one. They just gave it the monicker of "dual cab". Which, incidentally, has more room in the cab than your first gen crew cab. So, I'm not really sure what you were waiting for, they had an upgrade to your truck since 07. Toyota didn't crap the bed. The crewMAX is not the predecessor to your first gen crew cab, the dual cab is. You just don't really know what you're talking about and have no idea what the actual dimensions of the trucks are or what the composition of the materials are. Also, the ecoboost I was in? Yeah, the plastic was still plastic. It was just in a different shape.
I will give it this: it rode like a Cadillac and the stereo was fancy. But to say they use a higher quality plastic or that Toyota is the only truck that doesn't offer a 6.5' bed on a crew cab, is just ignorant. If that was the case, then how is the CM short bed the same wheel base and overall length as the DC and all the other trucks' crew cabs?(rhetorical) that would involve geometry and spatial awareness. Carry on.
Like I said, buy whatever you want. But you come in here, saying stupid shit about post counts and calling people fan boys, because people disagreed with your opinion. Most people here just try to relay their experiences and save you from making a bad decision. Seems like you're the one getting defensive about being questioned and corrected.
Have at it. Enjoy your dodge and honored lifetime warranty. Enjoy your 22 mpg ecoboost with fancy Italian plastic. Enjoy finding a Chevy that makes more than 300 HP and has any features at all, for less than $45k.
And as far as only joining this sight to get feedback on the 2014 tundra?
Um, what feedback? No one owns one yet.
Nothing you've said in this thread, makes any sense. People get judged on here by their post content, not count.
And I did do my home work, like most other tundra owners. I wasn't loyal to any brand and I'm still not. I've owned every brand of "American" vehicle and a few imports. Almost every tundra owner on here, has come from other brands and are now happy. And there's a reason for that. We didn't all buy toyota because we've been blindly loyal to Toyota for the last 20 years and are oblivious to any of their shortcomings. (That would be ford owners). Just more insulting, ignorant presumptions on your part. Most of us are Toyota fans now, because of experience with the other brands' shortcomings and quite simply, how much better of a truck the tundra is. But, you wouldn't know why we would defend it or correct you, because you don't actually have any experience with the 2nd gen or how it actually stacks up with the other full-size half tons.
Hope that clears a few things up for you and helps you make better decisions moving forward.

· Spooge Guzzler
6,351 Posts
Considering what they charge for those things, I think they might do pretty well with using the CM platform and building a suburban-style 7 seater. I think people would feel better about spending $45k on a suburban sized truck than a Tahoe sized truck.
Well, $45k if it's loaded. But they would save in production costs by using the truck platform, axle, suspension, etc., like Chevy does.
Just a thought.
People love suburbans. Just think how much better one would be if it was made by Toyota.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.