Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I purchased a beater/bop-around car last week. The audio sucks horribly, makes the Plat system in my Tundra sound amazing.

2009 Cobalt 4dr. I had been looking for something that I dgaf about to bop around, go to parking garages, Detroit, places I don't like parking my truck.

I started with a very price conscious approach, and was just going to go with a 139 Pioneer on sale, and some generic $50 each set of speakers... I keep trying to keep that in mind, but have elevated to much more than a beater needs, but the car's slow, not cool, and it might as well sound good.

I am thinking about the Alpine ILX-W650. Not like I use cd's. Nice eq, time correction, etc. Any input on that HU is appreciated.

Now, I have a JL HD900/5 sitting around. However the 500 rms just wasn't enough for my pair of SI BM MKIV's, it was fine for my single 13tw5, but the SI's would sound better with more like 750-800rms, they didn't sound bad, but there's more available with more wattage.
The 100rms x4 makes it hard to keep speakers in a reasonable realm price wise with the 900/5 too.
I almost ordered a Skar 10" sub system, but it's ported/vented, and I prefer tight bass. I figure I might as well use my SI's as they are just sitting around and the box won't fit the 17 Tundra.

I really keep thinking about getting an hd750/1 for the subs, and selling the 900/5.

Apline makes an amp that can mount to the HU, KTA-450 . It gives 50x4 rms. And is compact. It might not have the power the 900/5 does, but it's a tiny car.

Does anyone have any experience with the power pack amp from Alpine?

I'm not sure yet as to what speakers I want to go with, might go with the Pioneer D series as I have had them in the past and they sound good. Not Focal good, but again, it's a cheap beater that I only paid a grand for.

This is off-topic, so we can talk about the beater too, or whatever. Just I keep going around on what to do with it's audio. One speaker is shot, the hu sucks, can't use my ipod, no BT etc... It's stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, the HD750/1 is ordered... actually an MHD750/1, it was cheaper by a few bucks. Same amp, same specs, just marine grade.

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just an update...

The Alpine HU, even though it clearly states you can control an Ipod including playlists, etc... FULLY through the HU, YOU CAN'T. Period. Even a brand new Ipod touch. Alpine tech guy was lying on the phone saying it didn't state that, when I was looking right at it on the site. What a crock.

Anywho, the kta-450 amp rocks, the HU is actually pretty nice too, great EQ, time correction, everything I wanted. I did go with the D series components front, 6x9's rear. The HD750/1 paired to the SI BM MKIV subs is amazing. I do need to construct a more trunk suited box sometime. A truck box aimed upwards isn't great at directing sound, but does the job.

Car rocks now, gets down, and just nasty!

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any audio clips?
No, I could try but likely the mic on my phone doesn't record the frequencies and definitely not the clarity, nor the bass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts