Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Off road Lights

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Toxarch 
#1 ·
Im planning on getting some off road lights and a light bar. Im not very good with wiring so is the off road lights a simple install? If anyone has a step by step that would be great Thanks

#5 ·
I wired my supply to the high beams. So I just hit the high beams and the offroad lights come on. Not exactly road legal, but I don't use my high beams around other vehicles so who is going to tell.

#6 ·
I just finished wiring up 4 KC lights on a light bar and two more on the brush guard. It wasn't too bad, I just took my time to hide the wires and such. I put 3 relays (one for each set of lights) in the engine compartment, next to the battery. I ran an inline fuse for each set (25 amp). I ran the load for the relays through the firewall on the driver side, there is a rubber grommet that I pocked through using a wire hanger and then pulled the wires in.
From there I ran the wires underneath the carpet and behind the gas pedal and into the center console area. I used the wire hanger again to pull the wires into center console. I had to take the cup holder and center console out to get in there. I also took off the AC control section.
I put the switches on the two blanks next to the tow/haul switch. For me they were the perfect place and those blanks are easier to drill than the other ones on the air control panel.
There is a silver bolt behind the air control panel that I used for grounding the switches and used the cigarette lighter for the supply to the switches.

The main power wires run from the battery through the fuse and into the wheel area and then back to the area between the cab and bed. From there they go up and into the light bar. I zip tied the wires to the e brake and other harnesses that were near them.

I used 14 gauge speaker wire which is thicker than the supplied wiring by KC. I used almost 50 feet of it. Got it from Walmart for 12 bucks. I liked it. Each run had two strands or wire. So two runs got me one for each light.

I wish I took pictures as I was going through the install but it too late now. I will attach some pics of the finished product when I am at my PC.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am by no means an electrician but I will help in any way I can.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
25 amps is too big for a 14 gauge wire. Fuses protect the light and the wire. The wire could catch fire before the fuse blows. 14 gauge should be a 15 amp fuse. I would suggest adding a smaller fuse for each of your 14 gauge runs. 25 amp fuse would need a 10 gauge wire.

#8 ·
Well the 25 amp fuse is for 2 lights or two wires of 14 gauge each. Plus I was just using the supplied KC light harness with some added wire to run it to the back of the truck. The 14 gauge wire is thicker than the supplied wiring in the KC harness. But I will see about putting a smaller fuse in there if you after you read this you think I need to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.