Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a set of OEM tow mirrors installed on my 2012 DC 5.7L. I've installed these to assist in towing my 35' travel trailer. What is the small lower mirror for and how should it be adjusted? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. It is personal preference.

Some people use them for blind spots, others to spot the back wheels.
I have mine set to spot the back wheels (and some of the blind spot) to make navigating in tight spaces easier, I have a 3rd smaller stick on mirror for the blind spot (I stuck it on the mirror arm so as to not obstruct the other mirrors).

They are such a PITA to adjust yourself, I never went and found the optimal angle, just one that is close enough to work for me.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I had to add round convexes to the towmirrors on mine,the "sliver" of convex on Toyota's towmirrors just ain't cuttin' it for me.The lower section is adjusted for backing up, watching rear wheels.The round mirrors take care of any "blind-spots".

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had to add round convexes to the towmirrors on mine,the "sliver" of convex on Toyota's towmirrors just ain't cuttin' it for me.The lower section is adjusted for backing up, watching rear wheels.The round mirrors take care of any "blind-spots".
Two questions. First, how did you attach the convex mirror to the tow mirror (ie some sort of strap or clamp)? Second, can you fold the tow mirror in with the convex mirror attached?

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I made up a couple mounts with some kinda corner-former I "salvaged" from something we got shipped to us.Bent 'em to fit,then painted 'em black.I used 1/4" cable strap to fasten them to the mirrrors.The mirrors won't fold all the way in but they fold in enough to allow me to get into Wife's garage with the stupidly small doors.All I can offer is call "Q-Works" and speak to Mac Hargrove (254-823-6574 or 866-377-1318) about ordering a set of 5" camper mirrors and brackets.The brackets won't fit as they are but you may be smart enough to get 'em to work.....I ain't:p He offers a 4" mirror kit that fits Ford trucks but our Tundra's mirror housings are too big for those brackets too.I tried heating the Q-Works brackets up and got pretty close to getting them on,you may be able to come up with your own method.The Q-Works kits are made in Dallas Texas at Mac's shop.When you talk to him he sounds just like President Bush.....GOD, I MISS HIM!:patriot: Good Luck!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I made up a couple mounts with some kinda corner-former I "salvaged" from something we got shipped to us.Bent 'em to fit,then painted 'em black.I used 1/4" cable strap to fasten them to the mirrrors.The mirrors won't fold all the way in but they fold in enough to allow me to get into Wife's garage with the stupidly small doors.All I can offer is call "Q-Works" and speak to Mac Hargrove (254-823-6574 or 866-377-1318) about ordering a set of 5" camper mirrors and brackets.The brackets won't fit as they are but you may be smart enough to get 'em to work.....I ain't:p He offers a 4" mirror kit that fits Ford trucks but our Tundra's mirror housings are too big for those brackets too.I tried heating the Q-Works brackets up and got pretty close to getting them on,you may be able to come up with your own method.The Q-Works kits are made in Dallas Texas at Mac's shop.When you talk to him he sounds just like President Bush.....GOD, I MISS HIM!:patriot: Good Luck!
Thanks for the information on the convex mirror mounts. I have done more than my fair share of "MacGyver" type solutions over the years to all sort of situations. I actually have a set of convex mirrors I may try to use once I come up with a mount.

Back on topic. I have the OEM Toyota towing mirrors. I have the bottom mirror set so I can see the bottom edge of the of my trailer and the edge of the road or lane along with the blind spots. This is especially helpful in tight spots where curbs, rocks or other objects tend to pose a threat to trailer tires or the trailer itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts